PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep costs down?

Pages : [1] 2

JosieGirl71
11-24-2004, 02:11 PM
We have had a few posts recently about travelling on a budget so I thought it would be great if everyone could share the ways they keep costs down while visitation DL.

I will be taking my first trip to DL in 16 years next month (3 weeks - yippee!) but I know that we plan on eating breakfast/making lunches in our hotel room. We plan on having at least one meal a day in our room.

rentayenta
11-24-2004, 02:16 PM
Is this a trick question? ;) It is genetically impossible for me to exhibit any form of restraint when I am at DL. I have tried and it doesn't work. I am comfortable with my weaknesses :D

jrad32
11-24-2004, 02:20 PM
Just snack in the parks. Eat meals outside of the parks.

DISNEYloon
11-24-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm sure you'll get lots of responses to this......

We do eat breakfast in our rooms, we bring Cereal, Muffins, Milk, OJ, fruit & coffee. It's a great time saver as well as saves $$$. $10 for a family of 4 for breakfast is a lot better than $74.

We do bring our own botteled water, we carry 1 backpack and keep it in there. We also have 'snacks' for the kids like Granola bars. That's really more to 'tide' them over, we are usually on a different meal schedule than when we're at home.

We limit souvener (sp) buying to 1 time during the trip. Depending on how long you're there. Say, if you're there 2 or 3 days or more, everyone gets to see everything around the parks first before buying, that really seems to save $$$ because everyone in our group gets what they **REALLY** want.

Also in the past we have left DLR (gasp) to drive around the area and eat a nice sitdown dinner, it's less expensive and not as crowded - that's usually only for 1 or 2 dinners - the rest besides breakfast is in the park.

But that's about the extent of our 'budgeting'.

QueenAlisha
11-24-2004, 02:37 PM
Somewhere i think i still have the list of ways i had plaaned saving money in the park, with food, and such, one look at fudge and corndogs and that was it. it never works.

SuefromRI
11-24-2004, 03:02 PM
We stayed next door at the Candy Cane Inn with the AAA discount, payed $69 one August (2002), $74 the next, for the 4 of us. They offer a good continental breakfast with cereal, muffins, bagels and cream cheese, fruit, etc., plus juice, coffee and tea. they have fridges in the room, and are close enough to return for lunch or an afternoon snack break. We would get a fresh cup of coffee and tea for the walk to the parks in the morning, then would take the free shuttle back. The shuttle leaves the hotel on the hour and half-hour, and leaves the park at the quarter marks, so we could plan ahead to catch it. There is also a 7-11 and an ABC store right next door to the hotel so we would get an afternoon or evening slush or ice cream bar there instead of paying park prices.

CoasterChickie
11-24-2004, 03:08 PM
The drinks can add up really quickly which is why we always take our own soda and water into the park. ( The CM's have checked our backpacks every time and never said anything about them) Also , we always share the meals at DL since they are huge and then have a caramel apple or chocolate covered banana for a snack.

As far as souvenirs go, I usually go to the Disney Store a week before my trip and check out whatever Disney clothing may be on sale so I'll buy it there for a good price and get it out of my system before I go to DL. For example, I bought my daughters and myself the hooded fleeces for $14.99 and they were $54.99 at DL.

kbanmen
11-24-2004, 03:13 PM
To me the BIGGEST expensive is the drinks..I always bring water, drinks from home...and snacks for the kids..we usually eat at the park 1 meal only..hope this helps

mystycalchyk
11-24-2004, 04:23 PM
We will only eat one meal a day "out", at the most. We bring a backpack into the park with water, trail mix, lunchables and the like to snack on during the day. Mostly what you spend unexpected money on is food and drink.

Susan L
11-24-2004, 05:49 PM
This is a hard one for us. We always splurg at DLR. But, I also always plan for that. We go anywhere from once a year to every 18 months so it gives me plenty of time to save up. However, I will be visiting the Disney Warehouse next time we are in the area.

Wendi
11-24-2004, 05:54 PM
For me it's the food that gets me every time. There is absolutely no way to eat cheap in the resort, so bringing your own food would be the best way to save. It's very easy to find bargains on hotel, etc. but the food is always expensive. I've never been much of a souvenir person, I don't really buy things for friends and family (well, sometimes I do, but I don't feel the need to do it every time), and I don't buy things for myself or my son unless I know that they will be truly cherished. So, bring your bottled water and snacks, sandwiches, whatever... and have fun!

pisces
11-24-2004, 06:01 PM
You've never seen me at an "all-you-care-to eat" buffet. Frankly, "I care to eat it all."

If the Character breakfasts are anything like Hometown (hopefully better).....I can tell you I extract full value from them.

Mickey, Minnie, Chip and Dale , are all going to have a heart attack, and I hope they don't mind my table manners and chewing with my mouth open....because I will eat them under the table!!!

If everyone was like me, Disney would never be able to afford to have these buffets.

And, that's my one meal for the day, usually a late lunch.

December days go by quick, so you can get away with one meal.

I always have a piece of fruit on hand for snacks, though; and drink plenty of water.

Other than that, I expect my food budget to be very low; and you mark my words: I will get my money's worth (every last penny) out of those Character breakfasts!!!

Trust me, they don't know what I can put away, when I work up an appetite!

Bruce Bergman
11-25-2004, 11:13 AM
Well, for starters don't get a room, just drive back home for the night - but that only works if you live within a one to two-hour driving radius... :p

Second big thing is the ticket costs - if you can get back for another visit or two within a calendar year, get Annual Passes. And if you can plan your vacation trips to avoid the blockout days, go for one of the cheaper passes for everyone - or all but one person, see next paragraph. Study the calendars closely, the So-Cal Select or Deluxe passes might work fine for you.

If you plan to do much shopping or dining in the parks, or drive to the park (not take a hotel or ART shuttle) have one person in the party get the Premium Pass - you get the dining & shopping discounts, and free parking that makes up the difference.

Shop around for your room. Check the online services. And if you can't find an inexpensive rate for the period, call and ask why - if there's a convention in town, you may do better to move your visit a week or two.

Disneyland Resort won't let you bring in full-bore picnic lunches inside, only to the picnic area, but you can bring in snacks and small quantities of bottled water or drinks from outside. I wouldn't worry about the dining costs as much as the between-meals snacks and drinks, that's where they really soak you. Either abstain, bring it in, or get one and share.

Don't let the three-year-old carry the popcorn. They tend to drop things. ;) And at over a penny a kernel... (Yes - someone counted.)

And don't eat all your meals inside the parks - they are charging you the "captive audience" prices for the convenience. Even with the 10% AP Discounts (15% at the full service locations), that only brings them down from 'Outright Thievery' :eek: to 'Overpriced'...

There are many good places to dine in the immediate area that charge only slightly elevated prices (like the McDees across the street on Harbor) or the same regular prices as the rest of the state.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

Surfingstitch
11-25-2004, 11:35 AM
I bring fruit snacks, beef jerky, and bottled water from home. (Seattle, Wa)

I pack it in my checked luggage so I have room for stuff to bring back from the parks.

I always refill my water bottles at the river belle because the have filtered that doesn't taste like sulfer to me.

Corn dogs and fries will fill me and my gf so we don't spend too much on food.

Hope this helps.

rentayenta
11-25-2004, 07:07 PM
I was thinking that although I spend a fortune, there are ways that we save a few bucks. We give the kids Disney Dollars before we go. Now $60 per kid may seem like alot but they are much more frugal when spending their money (this will not work with my 3 y/o).

The food at the pizza place in Tomorrowland serves huge portions. We will usually get 1 slice of pizza, 1 pasta, and 1 specialty salad and share it between the 5 of us. I really hate to throw food away. Same with the River Belle Terrace (I hope I have the name correct). They have a fried chicken meal that comes with 3 peices of chicken, mashed and a roll I think. Its $12.99 but my kids share it and a salad and its a good deal.

We drink water except at meals and then we'll have soda, juice, or milk.

The silhouettes are a steal and a great keepsake.

Mooshu
11-25-2004, 09:05 PM
If you have a car there is a grocery store down South Harbor Blvd. and don't forget the character warehouse where you can get discounted Disney merchandise.

Also, if you plan on eating outside the park there are some resturants down South Harbor Blvd. Joe's crab shack and I think Chilli's.

pisces
11-26-2004, 01:56 PM
Well, I'll be there Dec 27th, so, hopefully, I'll catch some of the after-Christmas sales.

Dec 26th is probably the best day for that. I just hope by the 27th, there are still a few good bargains left, and everything hasn't been too severely picked over.

The only things on my list right now are: A quality stick pin, and a nice autograph book with a cute pen. Hopefully, I can get good after-Christmas discounts on those.

TimBuk2
11-26-2004, 02:44 PM
Definitely take your own water.

A tip on getting a locker. There are lockers OUTSIDE of DCA, to the left of the entrance gate. There is a little office there, bathrooms and lockers. They are hard to see if you are coming in from the West side (Mickey & Friends Parking Lot Tram).

But if you are coming in from the East side (Harbor Blvd), then you can see them. It's worth the $3. At least that's the cost my last time there. And you get it for all day, in and out as many times as you need. Then you're not worried about going back into another park if you need it.

Have Fun !! :cool:

disneyperson
11-26-2004, 03:14 PM
Breakfast in your room will definitely help. We always have to watch our pennies. I bring cash and spend only what I have. I never,ever, charge anything. We bring our own water. We don't like soda ,so it's easy for us to just drink water with meals. We don't snack a lot either. We make sure we get our fudge and our dole whips (sigh, no more of those until March!) ,but other than that we spend our money on "real food." It's hard not to just whip out that credit card, but I figure that every dollar I save is one I can put towards the next trip.

Disneyfreak
11-26-2004, 04:41 PM
Eat at white water snacks at the grand californian hotel. It has really reasonable prices.

sediment
11-26-2004, 04:54 PM
Don't go as often, so you can afford to go and spend when you do go.

rentayenta
11-26-2004, 05:11 PM

LOL! She hasn't been in 16 years so I am thinking that once every 16 years isn't very often. You funny long time sediment ;)

kisroo
11-26-2004, 05:20 PM

Ahhhhhh.....the wisdom of sediment! :p

sediment
11-26-2004, 05:29 PM
I'm supposed to read? Since when is that a requirement?

Alright, a more serious response.

We could easily create a vacation budget model. And this model could determine the minimal amount to spend, depending on where one lives.

One way to save money: If you're bringing children, order their food, and eat their leftovers. You can share a meal at the Plaza Inn. Lots of food there.
Do note that if you don't go to Disneyland, you'll still have to eat. So, just try to keep the expense near what you'd normally spend on food.
Secondly, you pay to get into the parks (5-day park-hoppers are the best choice for the rare park-goer) so make the most of it. Eat fast, use FastPass when necessary, don't park-hop more than twice, don't go offsite for food, since you're wasting time getting there and back (unless one of you gets the food while the others enjoy the parks, then the food-getter phones you when he's at the front gate).

Lastly: no souvenirs. That's what your brain is for, to preserve memories. That and a roll (or disk) of film. If you must buy something, buy clothing that you'll wear often. I go for the sweatshirts myself. Night-shirts are good, too. Buy the oldest kid some clothing, then hand it down for a few years.

disneyperson
11-26-2004, 05:30 PM
Since I go to DL for the joy it brings me to be there and not for the stuff I can buy, quantity of visits is my personal priority. I've never been much into souveniers. If I lived farther away and couldn't go as often, I would budget for a little more extravagance. I like knowing that my trip is paid for and not putting me in debt.I hate being in debt. I'd rather put my money into another trip than use it to pay for the one I already took. Just my preference.