PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide New Year's Day dining

pisces
11-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Saturday, New Years day will be my last full day, and evening, at the Resort, after a very full week.

It's the only day that I wasn't able to decide where I'd want to eat.

I have every other day that week covered. I've exhausted all the character breakfasts, and Blue Bayou for New Years Eve should be an event in, and of, itself.

And so, after all that, and staying out late, till 2:00 am NYE, I truly couldn't figure out what I'd want for New Years Day. It's hard to tell, right now, what I might feel like after all that.

I figure, I might decide to just take it easy, and after a heavy week of dining and crowds and such, maybe that will be the day that I just play it low-key and casual, and use that time to exhaust Whitewater Snacks.

Then again, my final day, might be the perfect time to indulge at Napa Rose, as a grand finale, last meal to my trip.

Does Napa Rose have a late-lunch or brunch on that day?

I'm also thinking that the Napa Rose Lounge, or Lobby might give me the feel of Napa Rose, and yet still be casual enough to simply relax and chill.----I'm sure I'll be in a daze, after all my fun and partying.

And then there's Plaza Inn.....which I didn't make reservations for, and figured I'd find time to squeeze in sometime that week.

Whatcha all think? Would my final day, New Years Day be good to spend at Plaza Inn, for my last meal? Do I need to make formal dining reservations for them?

I'm thinking I'll just play it by ear and leave that day open, since I have no clue what I will feel like eating by then.

Is that wise?

QueenAlisha
11-24-2004, 11:45 AM
i think you should have a corn dogs, some chips, a soda and then a cute star rice krispy treat. but then again i could have that EVERY meal at disneyland.

pisces
11-24-2004, 12:00 PM
You know, you might be right. I kind of want to take a day where I can just indulge in all the little snack-y type foods that I've read about: The fritters, the tortillas at Malibu-ritos etc... Maybe a mint julep, or two.

I mean, I have every other day that week heavily planned out with reservations and knowing exactly where I'll be eating.

So, I guess I just wanted to have one day, where I'm not locked into anything, and can just have the flexibility to wander and meander wherever my feet.....and stomach lead me to.

It's just that the very ordered, organized part of me wants to have something secured, just in case.

You don't get in trouble for cancelling a reservation, now, do you?

rentayenta
11-24-2004, 12:12 PM
I would make reservations somewhere just in case. I have read the Hook's Pointe is good. They serve the same steaks as Granville's-which is where we are going for Christmas Eve-for less money. You can always cancel and treat your self to a corndog instead. There is no penalty or spanking for canceling a reservation ;)

CarlieB
11-24-2004, 12:39 PM
The lounge at Napa Rose sounds great - slightly more relaxed, but with the same good food and service.

I Heart Disneyland!
11-24-2004, 01:10 PM
A bread bowl with clam chowder in New Orleans Square. YUM! What a great winter treat!

DISNEYloon
11-24-2004, 02:26 PM
A bread bowl with clam chowder in New Orleans Square. YUM! What a great winter treat!

I'm right there with ya! :fez:

QueenAlisha
11-24-2004, 02:34 PM
i dont like clam chodwer and my bf dont like alot of bread, so the put the soup in a normal bowl for her and i got the bread bowl, it was great.

CoasterChickie
11-24-2004, 02:56 PM
There is no penalty or spanking for canceling a reservation ;)

Rats! There goes my secret plan!! :p

But seriously, I like your idea of making a reservation but playing it by ear. And the corndogs are fantastic!! ;)

pisces
11-24-2004, 06:16 PM
Yenta: I did not know that Hooks Point is , for all intents and purposes, the same as Granvilles. And, probably a lot less expensive, and more casual too---which is about what I'm looking for.

Still, my being at the Grand Californian.....makes Hook's Pointe a bit of a hike.

I don't know what sort of condition I'll be in from the night before....to try to get myself over to the DLH for my New Years meal.

I'm leaning towards the Lounge at Napa Rose.....which is called the Hearthstone Lounge, correct?

I think I would like something casual, but would still like to sample the same Napa Rose cuisine that is served in the actual restaurant.

I want my last full day to be a day, where I pick up all the places I'd missed before. But, I'm thinking I'll also just want to kick-back at the Hotel and take it easy.

Oh well. I guess I'll just end up going where the spirit takes me.

I was just wondering if anyone out there had any definite New Years DAY favorites that you always go to.

CoasterChickie
11-24-2004, 06:55 PM
Pisces...Hook's Pointe really isn't that far from the Grand Californian and it's very good food for the price. :)

evrythngwmn
11-25-2004, 08:33 AM
The Hearthstone Lounge is located off the lobby of the Grand Californian. Napa Rose is at the opposite side and overlooks Disney's California Adventure.

What do you have lined up for you other meals? Have you considered Storytellers cafe? I love their corn chowder and field green salad.

pisces
11-26-2004, 12:58 PM
Oh, so there are two lounges: There's the Hearthstone Lounge, and then there's the Napa Rose Lounge?

I'm thinking they both serve Napa Rose cuisine, maybe a scaled-down version, and since they are lounges, I wouldn't need reservations ???

I really really really don't want to make reservations. I'm the kind of person that, if I make a reservation, even a tentative one, I'll feel totally obligated to show up.

As I say, I have all my dining reserved for the 5 previous days. But, I think I just want to leave Saturday open and see what happens.

If nothing else, I doubt I'll starve :rolleyes: .

I've already reserved Storytellers twice during that week. They are not going to want to see me back there, cleaning them out, a third time.

rentayenta
11-26-2004, 01:14 PM
Your description of yourself at a buffet (from another thread) is crackin' me up, like you are going with a mission :) The food at Goofy's is delish. I hope you are going to Goofy's at least once. I have read mixed reviews on the food but both times we have been there it has been so good, and hot, and fresh! We always feel like we get our money's worth even with our kids and none of us go back more than once. Enjoy wherever you decide.

pisces
11-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Oh, yes, I made reservations at Goofys, although I don't know how I'm going to get over there from the Grand Californian, much less get back, after all that food. Maybe someone will carry me.

Someone was talking, on another thread, about how one of the buffets has the chocolate pudding cake, or something like that (Was that Goofys?)......which I can't seem to get out of my mind.

cstephens
11-27-2004, 09:02 PM
Oh, so there are two lounges: There's the Hearthstone Lounge, and then there's the Napa Rose Lounge?

I'm thinking they both serve Napa Rose cuisine, maybe a scaled-down version, and since they are lounges, I wouldn't need reservations ???

The Hearthstone Lounge is just one of the lounges inside the Grand Californian. They have a *very limited* food menu, with dishes inspired by various restaurants at the resort. If you want to try Napa Rose food, the Hearthstone really won't work.

The Napa Rose Lounge is inside the restaurant itself, just on the other side of the bar from where the main dining room is. It's generally used as a waiting area for people who are eating in the restaurant, but yes, you can also just go to the lounge, and they have a separate smaller menu there, though you can also apparently order off the regular menu.

You can't make reservations for the lounge. Unless it's just super-packed, I can't imagine it would be a problem going there.