PDA

View Full Version : The cheap route?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Lekta
11-23-2004, 12:11 PM
My wife and I have a huge urge to get to the park before the holiday's have passed, as neither of us has ever seen the park during the holidays. I will list the prices we were able to get on the needed items, if anyone knows of a better price on anything, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us know, as we are trying to save as much as possible, so that we might be able to have a couple of decent meals while we are down there. Our days are fairly flexible, as I am sure we could get time off at any point in the week. The prices below reflect the following dates, which appear to be exactly the same pricewise (Dec. 6-9, Dec. 7-10, Dec. 13-16) Basically, we are looking at spending 3 days in the park/hotel and a roundtrip flight.

Flight:
To: Anaheim Airport
Total Roundtrip for 2: $365.92
(I know that it is cheaper to fly to LAX, however, the roundtrip bus fare to Anahiem would be about $15/person, per way, so about $60 saved plus the added amount of time we would get to spend in the park on the arrival day, about 90mins more=)

Hotel:
$129.00 for 3 nights in the Pennysleeper Inn. Can't rough the Alamo again *gasp*

Park Tix:
$258.00 for 2 3-day passes... which sucks because the 4th day is free and the 5th day is like 10 more dollars =( just can't hack the extra hotel days, unfortunately.

Present Grand Total: $752.92

So, I challenge anyone to beat that! hehe... I hope that someone can.

Many thanks... =)

JosieGirl71
11-23-2004, 12:23 PM
So far what I have come up with is that Hotwire has hotels starting at $28/night so with tax and everything, your hotel would be under $100. But you won't know what you're getting or how far from the park you will be until you book it. I'm still looking though (I love this kind of stuff)!

JosieGirl71
11-23-2004, 12:25 PM
One more thing, getawaytoday.com has 2-day parkhoppers for $98/person or 5-day parkhoppers for $126/person.

tlovesdis
11-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Have you ever stayed at the Pennysleeper Inn? I did ONCE and that was the last time ever! It was aweful! That was a few years ago so maybe things have changed, but DH and I vowed to NEVER stay there again!!!

Lekta
11-23-2004, 12:38 PM
So far what I have come up with is that Hotwire has hotels starting at $28/night so with tax and everything, your hotel would be under $100. But you won't know what you're getting or how far from the park you will be until you book it. I'm still looking though (I love this kind of stuff)!

That would work great if we had a rental car, as we have booked through Hotwire.com once and we got an exceptionally nice hotel, but, it was a good 3 miles or so from the park and in Garden Grove. If we hadn't rented a car to drive down there in, we would have been screwed as the hotel didn't offer a shuttle to park. Would be scarey to book Hotwire without a car.

JosieGirl71
11-23-2004, 12:40 PM
That would work great if we had a rental car, as we have booked through Hotwire.com once and we got an exceptionally nice hotel, but, it was a good 3 miles or so from the park and in Garden Grove. If we hadn't rented a car to drive down there in, we would have been screwed as the hotel didn't offer a shuttle to park. Would be scarey to book Hotwire without a car.
What about ART? Does it go that far? Would the expense of ART outweigh the benefit of going through Hotwire?

Lekta
11-23-2004, 12:40 PM
Have you ever stayed at the Pennysleeper Inn? I did ONCE and that was the last time ever! It was aweful! That was a few years ago so maybe things have changed, but DH and I vowed to NEVER stay there again!!!

Nope, never stayed there, but, I was assuming that it was a decent deal due to the location. We did stay at the Alamo Inn on our last trip and were appalled at our original room, as it was overrun with massive roaches. We did, however, get a room upgrade for free and it was ok. The Alamo was just a little bit too far of a walk. I figured that because the Penny was next door to the HoJo, it would be a pleasant walk and easy dining...

What was specifically wrong with it?

Thanks a ton for the feedback everyone!

Lekta
11-23-2004, 12:41 PM
What about ART? Does it go that far? Would the expense of ART outweigh the benefit of going through Hotwire?

Pardon my ignorance, but, what exactly is ART? Other then the doodle drawings on my desktop calendar of course.. heh

DisneyGirl8696
11-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Just a recommendation - i haven't heard great things about the Penny Sleeper - mostly really bad stuff - you may want to check around for a better rated hotel even if it is not right next door.,

Pammer
11-23-2004, 12:50 PM
ART = Anaheim Resort Transit

http://www.anaheimresorttransit.com/

the mad hatter
11-23-2004, 01:02 PM
Just a recommendation - i haven't heard great things about the Penny Sleeper

He's only paying a little over $40 a night. You can't expect much for that price.

Lekta
11-23-2004, 01:09 PM
Now that I think about it, it is pretty important that we be able to walk to the park, as we throughly enjoy taking our time and looking at things, as opposed to having to follow a bus/tram schedule. I do appreciate the suggestions though.

I would, however, consider Hotwire if we decided to drive down. Driving down would involve 17 hours of straight driving each way, $110.00 rental fee, and not sure how much gas, but I would assume at least 4-5 full refills each way, making the gas cost approx. $200 for the trip... = $310.00 and 34 hours gone. :( wish the gas was free, then it would make my decision easy... :D

JosieGirl71
11-23-2004, 01:31 PM
This may be easier said than done but spend the extra $80 and stay at HoJo's or Del Sol Inn. Much better reviews!

JosieGirl71
11-23-2004, 01:34 PM
Maybe Anaheim Plaza? $45/night on their website and reviews are ok too.

Emma
11-23-2004, 01:40 PM
Oh, no....

Don't stay at the Penny Sleeper.

It is so unbelievably disgusting.

Emma
11-23-2004, 01:42 PM
FYI, for those dates The Fairfield Inn has a rate of $79.00 per night. It's MUCH closer, and MUCH nicer

Lekta
11-23-2004, 01:44 PM
FYI, for those dates The Fairfield Inn has a rate of $79.00 per night. It's MUCH closer, and MUCH nicer

Unfortunately, it is also far from cheaper. Although, I am sure it is nicer.

You have convinced me not to stay at the Pennysleeper, however.

Lekta
11-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Maybe Anaheim Plaza? $45/night on their website and reviews are ok too.

Sounds reasonable and probably better then our last hotel.

zugzug15
11-23-2004, 01:47 PM
just messing around on disneyland.com I found 3 day park hopper ticket and 3 night stay in the red roof in (on disneyway) for 444.50 thats tickets and hotel. im sure there are better deals too.

Emma
11-23-2004, 01:52 PM
Sounds reasonable and probably better then our last hotel.

The Plaza is kind of iffy too... I was there to rent a car in September and they didn't have air conditioning! It was sooo stuffy.

Mommy2NicknMax
11-23-2004, 01:56 PM
Have you checked hotels.com? I just did a quick search with the dates of Dec 13-16. The Annabella Hotel is $46.75/night. I've never stayed there though so can't say anything about it. Also Best Western Anaheim Inn is $60/night. I have stayed there and wasn't thrilled but it's a clean place to sleep.

Also checking Mousesavers.com for a cheaper ticket. They suggest ARES Travel. Currently a 3 day PH is $120 on their site. I don't know if that's any better than other places though.

Emma
11-23-2004, 02:01 PM
The Annabella is nice. That's a great rate.

kisroo
11-23-2004, 02:39 PM
You could fly into LAX on AlaskaAir for $316.40 right now (check their new flights reservations) and spend the little extra on hotel.

Entertainment club card discounts?? AAA discounts???

Try www.hotelclub.com as well. They list Quality Inn at $42/night, along with the Plaza Inn and Suites.

We had a free stay there this June through a promotion. If you don't mind older, bare-bones motel, it's not all that bad. I wouldn't pay more than $45 to stay there though; it's really "bare". Ask for a 2nd floor room, though and be prepared for thin walls and thin towels.

rentayenta
11-23-2004, 02:50 PM
My SIL stays at the Super 8 on Katella. She says is clean enough and only $40 a night. Personally, I'd rather eat cheaper and stay better. There are lots of ways to save while in the park. I would hate for you to stay somewhere icky :)

I'll go check around right now. I am the queen of finding good rates :~D

sediment
11-23-2004, 02:52 PM
One more thing, getawaytoday.com has 2-day parkhoppers for $98/person or 5-day parkhoppers for $126/person.
That doesn't seem that much different from Disney's own web site.