PDA

View Full Version : DL on Nov 24th - Crowds and Matterhorn?

SoCalDude
11-23-2004, 10:10 AM
I was thinking about going to DL tomorrow - Nov 24th. I notice the DL website says the Matterhorn will be open (YAY!) Does this have a good shot of happening? Anybody go in the last few days and notice if it was finishing up? I called up and asked and they said "it is scheduled top open" but all I can think of is "schedule subject to change"

And what about the crowds? It is the day BEFORE Thanksgiving, so I hope everybody is still in school and at work - so it should not be that busy right? Anybody recall previous years for the day before Thanksgiving? The CM also said it should be about the same as a busy summer day.. really?

blubayou33
11-23-2004, 11:19 AM
I went the day before Thanksgiving a couple of years ago and the crowds weren’t that bad, certainly not as crowded as after Thanksgiving.

As to the Matterhorn I spoke with a CM friend of mine who works Matterhorn and she said that it will most likely be closer to Christmas before the mountain is open. Though for your sake I hope she’s wrong :)

TimBuk2
11-23-2004, 12:47 PM
And what about the crowds? It is the day BEFORE Thanksgiving, so I hope everybody is still in school and at work - so it should not be that busy right?

I've found the day before TG is good, but TG day is REAL BUSY !

Also, just call the Disneyland hotline and ask them for attraction closure updates. But I believe SoCalDude is right, Matterhorn may still be closed.

Good Luck !

Darkbeer
11-23-2004, 05:35 PM
The Matterhorn REOPENED TODAY!!!!!

Alas, it went "101" when I showed up... :(

But most of the walkway has been reopened (the Smoking area is back), but "Fantasia Gardens" (the old Motor Boat Cruise area remains closed).

I am posting photos at my site as I type...

CoasterChickie
11-23-2004, 05:57 PM
WOO HOO

Anxiously awaiting those photos!!! :fez:

TimBuk2
11-23-2004, 06:25 PM

But most of the walkway has been reopened (the Smoking area is back), but "Fantasia Gardens" (the old Motor Boat Cruise area remains closed).

Thanks for the photos from the 23rd. Good to see it running again (sort of).

BTW, are the photos of the mexican restaurant from the one next to Thunder Mtn?

kbanmen
11-23-2004, 06:30 PM

I love your website darkbeer

Darkbeer
11-23-2004, 07:21 PM
BTW, are the photos of the mexican restaurant from the one next to Thunder Mtn?
Yes, Rancho del Zocalo has now switched to a "Mexican" only menu, from a 50/50 BBQ/Mexican menu.... there have been other recent threads discusssing the changes....

SoCalDude
11-23-2004, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=Darkbeer]The Matterhorn REOPENED TODAY!!!!![QUOTE]

YES! Thanks - I just posted in your topic. Now I gotta go to bed early! In for a looong day!

This is great - I am really looking foward to this. It will be my birthday, will get to see the Electric Main Street Parade for the first time since the "last" *coughgrumblecough* weekend way back when, will get to ride the Matterhorn, see the holiday parade, AND will have my first video camera that I got as an ealry present... life is good!

:D :D

Darkbeer
11-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Happy Birthday!!!! Have a great day!!!!!!:fez:

And Happy Thanksgiving to ALL!!!!!!!:fez:

crinklebat
11-23-2004, 11:52 PM
Ah, the memories.

I started an annual "Ditch for Disneyland" tradition in high school where every year I'd find somebody to skip school and go to Disneyland with on the day before Thanksgiving. It's always been a really non-crowded day, in my experience, and I have always had an excellent time.

Now I'm in college, and I have class tomorrow. :rolleyes: Enjoy the park for me!

SoCalDude
11-25-2004, 01:12 AM
ok - just got back a few minutes ago and had a GREAT time! Traffic was a bit slow getting out of SD, but once we got past where Legoland was it was fine for the rest of the trip up. Got to the park about 1pm (I am not a moring person, lol) and parked on the VERY top of Mickey and frineds for the first time.

The crowds were ok - more people than we are used to, but the lines moved fast and everyting was great. First stop was the Matterhorn! And Darkbeer- we were about 10 people away from getting on and the side we were on went down! lol, I thought of you when it happened. They just walked a few of us over to the other side a few at a time and we got on no problem.

The holiday parade was very nice - the kids loved it very much. We went on the rides we usually go on and never had to wait more than appx 20 minutes (Small World and Matterhorn)

It was sooooo nice to see the Electric parade again! Reminded me of old times for sure. And it was great, there were no heavy crowds there, we sat on a bench, nobody sat in front of us, nobody was pushing - VERY nice! I wish it would be like that for the parades at DL!!

Oh - almost forgot! When we went into DL for the first time the CM said "Oh happy birthday Mark!" after she scanned my AP pass. I thought that was nice of her and said thanks. That was really a nice touch!

TimBuk2
11-26-2004, 02:48 PM
First stop was the Matterhorn! And Darkbeer- we were about 10 people away from getting on and the side we were on went down! lol, I thought of you when it happened. They just walked a few of us over to the other side a few at a time and we got on no problem.

SOCALDUDE - Did you notice what the changes were on the Matterhorn? I could see in some of DarkBeer's photos they had a wooden railing up part way, but couldn't tell.

SoCalDude
11-26-2004, 10:49 PM
SOCALDUDE - Did you notice what the changes were on the Matterhorn? I could see in some of DarkBeer's photos they had a wooden railing up part way, but couldn't tell.

The only other thing I really noticed was the air gates, and I have seenpics of a new exit for unloading when the ride goes down. I am sure DB or Richard have pics of them uploaded.