PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know why early 2005 so expensive?

disneymania
11-22-2004, 04:58 PM
I've been trying to put together a little 3 day getaway for my hubbies 30th b-day. But my goodness, the cheapest I can find a package with Paradise Peir is 895$!! I can go to WDW for $1050, including 2 round trip tickets across country, for 5 days. Does anyone know why it's soooo high (by the way, this is for mid Feb, not after the 50th starts)?
Thanks for any info. :p

stan4d_steph
11-22-2004, 05:16 PM
Some schools have break in February for President's Day.

Wendi
11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Try getawaytoday.org

You can get a 2 night 3 day package at PP for $539 total (that includes tax, resort fees, 2 adult park hoppers and some extra goodies).

uvsc_wolverine
11-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Actually it's getawaytoday.com (I used them for my last trip and I saved a bundle!)

Wendi
11-22-2004, 09:33 PM
Actually it's getawaytoday.com (I used them for my last trip and I saved a bundle!)

Wow... they finally added a .com domain - that's new! It's still the same site as .org though, so you can use either one now. I've booked many, many trips with them over several years and can never find better package deals.

Duane
11-23-2004, 05:29 AM
I've noticed a huge increase in prices as well. I was planning a vacation at the Grand Californian during the end of March and was quoted $2500 for 5 nights. I was paying around $1200 for the same amount of time during the 2004 season. In fact, if you check current rates for December at www.getawaytoday.com you can get 5 nights for a little over $1200. When I asked the Disney Travel Company about the increase they stated that they're expecting huge crowds for the 50th. Well, the 50th doesn't begin until May so why are they robbing me in March? I believe it is a "marketing strategy" to make customers feel pressured into purchasing vacation packages before they are sold out. It's a strategy that won't work with me, I'll wait for the discount offers soon to come. As a comparison, I'm visiting Walt Disney World over Christmas for 5 nights at the Polynesian Hotel and have the Dream Maker package, it cost $1500 for 2 adults. That's $1000 less expensive than Disneyland. Other than the new Buzz Lightyear attraction, nothing has been added for the 50th to interest me. I've ridden this attraction in Florida numerous times so I won't die if I miss out on the 50th.

Mrs.N
11-23-2004, 06:48 AM
I just don't get their logic with price increases like that. I hear about things like that and the first thing I think is that I will stay off property. When I can get a room at the Hyatt Regency for less than $50/night on Priceline, or if I want to be closer, at one of the places on Harbor. Why would anyone pay $500/night in March, before everything is done anyway??

Duane
11-24-2004, 10:07 AM
Mrs.N- I agree with you. I'm sure my wife and I will visit Disneyland during the end of March but I may stay off site this trip. Let's look at things realistically. The Good Neighbor hotels which are located across the street from Disneyland are just as close to the front gate as the Grand Californian. I don't mind paying a little more to stay in the magic but I refuse to pay ridiculous rates for a room I will only occupy only an hour a day and at night while sleeping. I may be wrong but I would be willing to bet some sort of discount will be offered in the next couple of months. Disneyland Resort has started a new mandatory penalty for all cancellations regardless of how long your notice. This tells me they intend to offer discounts but don't want the headache of customers cancelling prior bookings to rebook at a lower rate. Let's all sit back and play a waiting game for special discounts, I think it will be worth the wait!

disneymania
11-25-2004, 06:57 AM
I agree. I'm not going to book until early/mid Jan. I think when they see how many people aren't booking, they will drop there prices. If not, I'll just stay across the street-like I have in the past.

seattlemouse
11-25-2004, 03:12 PM
"Disneyland Resort has started a new mandatory penalty for all cancellations regardless of how long your notice."

What is this new penalty? I thought we had 72 hours to cancel? I made reservations for the end of January in the GC

Duane
11-25-2004, 07:48 PM
I believe the minimum penalty is $100. I was told that you pay the penalty even if you cancel immediately.

Alpha1mom
11-26-2004, 05:28 AM
Hi,
The Park resort hotels ARE expensive! You can stay anywhere that's close (within walking distance) The Howard Johnson is VERY reasonable and just a hop, skip and a jump from the entrance.
I've stayed once at the Disneyland Hotel, no big deal, and last year once at the Paradise Pier, (this was a long walk to get into the park)

Good Luck!

BTW, Feb is Cheerleading month, expect lots of Cheerleaders! We're competing Feb 26th!

disneymania
11-26-2004, 04:28 PM
How long are the cheerleaders going to be there?

TimBuk2
11-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Recently the AP cost went up again, and I would imagine they expect to raise the single-day tickets to go up early next year. That could be part of it.

And February might be a peak season for the CA parks, I know Mid-Feb is Peak for WDW.

If you must be at a "Disney" hotel, the Paradise is probably good. But if you want something good and close, try all the one's on Harbor. I've been at the Fairfield Inn and next July I'll be at the Carousel Inn, both with good prices. This one is directly across Harbor at the light. You can see both parks from there.

sediment
11-26-2004, 05:41 PM
Single-day passes will go up when the multi-day prices go up. I don't think the single-day prices are dependent on or proportionate to the AP prices.

Matter of fact, DLr would make more money if there was more disparity between the single-day and the AP. And the place wouldn't be as crowded all the time (year-round), and the place wouldn't get physically depreciated as quickly.

February is not a peak season. It has a few big days:
1. Super Bowl Sunday.
2. Lincoln's B-day/Presidents' Day.
3. Valentine's Day.
4. Cheerleaders.

Look harder and wait for better deals. People with time restrictions (especially those who have popular time restrictions) will usually pay more.

You don't have to stay at a hotel close to the resort, as long as either there is some efficient transportation or you have a car with AAA park-hoppers (which come with free parking at the resort).

Hamradio
11-26-2004, 07:48 PM
I've been trying to put together a little 3 day getaway for my hubbies 30th b-day. But my goodness, the cheapest I can find a package with Paradise Peir is 895$!! I can go to WDW for $1050, including 2 round trip tickets across country, for 5 days. Does anyone know why it's soooo high (by the way, this is for mid Feb, not after the 50th starts)?
Thanks for any info. :p

It would appear that DL is starting the rip-offs for 2005 around the 50th anniversary. This all drives out of the corporate office and I can't wait for Eisner to depart. Then maybe we can get some execs with a heart for a change. We are fortunate that we are local to DL and don't have to get soaked for a hotel package, but I really feel for out of town guests.

disneymania
11-28-2004, 08:33 AM
Single-day passes will go up when the multi-day prices go up. I don't think the single-day prices are dependent on or proportionate to the AP prices.

Matter of fact, DLr would make more money if there was more disparity between the single-day and the AP. And the place wouldn't be as crowded all the time (year-round), and the place wouldn't get physically depreciated as quickly.

February is not a peak season. It has a few big days:
1. Super Bowl Sunday.
2. Lincoln's B-day/Presidents' Day.
3. Valentine's Day.
4. Cheerleaders.

Look harder and wait for better deals. People with time restrictions (especially those who have popular time restrictions) will usually pay more.

You don't have to stay at a hotel close to the resort, as long as either there is some efficient transportation or you have a car with AAA park-hoppers (which come with free parking at the resort).

disneymania
11-28-2004, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the info. I do have AAA, and am planning to get annual passes, as we are going in Feb., and in late November. We stayed at the hotel at Knott's Berry Farm a couple of years ago. I think I just saw an awesome price for that hotel, and it's not too far away-like 5 min.

Hamradio
11-28-2004, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the info. I do have AAA, and am planning to get annual passes, as we are going in Feb., and in late November. We stayed at the hotel at Knott's Berry Farm a couple of years ago. I think I just saw an awesome price for that hotel, and it's not too far away-like 5 min.

For the record,
Buena Park charges a lower "transient occupancy tax" (bed or hotel tax) than Anaheim. BP is 12% vs. Anaheim 15% (and Garden Grove 13%).
For what it's worth, you'll save $3 for every $100 in room rate you pay.

Also, BP will waive this tax if the occupant is traveling on a US Government credit card and files the appropriate exemption form with the establishment upon registration. The other two cities do not.

BP has an excellent police department and a friendly business environment.
(We are homeowners in BP)