PDA

View Full Version : Castle rededication today? Any Kinkade connection?

jiminycesq
11-22-2004, 06:39 AM
I recall that today (Monday the 22nd) was supposed to be some sort of castle "reopening" but of course the bridge walkway has been open for weeks. Is there supposed to be some ceremony? Thinking back even farther, I remember the Thomas Kinkade castle painting - for which he mysteriously did not appear for public session no. 2 - and started to wonder if perhaps it might be unveiled in connection with some event - although I have no reason to believe it might be today.

Any thoughts? Reports? Inquiring minds want to know! Thanks ...

Disney Vault
11-22-2004, 02:08 PM
I forgot about this. I remember hearing too that they would reveal the new castle but they might have rushed off the tarps to make the guest happy instead of waiting for an event.

itig
11-22-2004, 03:00 PM
We put down a deposit for one of these Kinkade prints. I'm hoping it actually happens and that it looks great! Does anyone else here plan on buying one?

Tinker Bell
11-22-2004, 08:46 PM
How did you put a down on one I have not seen anything bout it.I would love to have one. I have been waiting for the info on it. Please help me.

itig
11-22-2004, 09:40 PM
How did you put a down on one I have not seen anything bout it.I would love to have one. I have been waiting for the info on it. Please help me.

We bought a Kinkade print when we were in Monterey several months ago and the young lady helping us had a picture of the initial, rough painting. They were taking 50.00 deposits to reserve a print, but didn't have any more info at that time. I did receive an email in late summer and they were pretty sure he was going to make it into a full fledged painting, so prints would more than likely be available. I'll give her a call tomorrow to verify. Let me know if you want the gallery info and I can send it your way.

SoCalDude
11-23-2004, 01:57 AM
whats this about a painting? I would love more info on this.

Tinker Bell
11-23-2004, 06:48 AM
you can find the info on the painting in this update http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040405.htm

I would love the studio info. I will try and call the place down at the mall I asked them last month and they new nothing maybe they know now.

VickiC
11-23-2004, 10:34 AM
Ack. I love Disneyland but I'd rather poke my eye out with a sharp stick than buy anything Kinkade.

Opus1guy
11-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Ack. I love Disneyland but I'd rather poke my eye out with a sharp stick than buy anything Kinkade.

I'd normally agree with you about his current gallery stuff. Too "Lawrence Welk" for my taste.

But from what I've seen of the castle so far, it's looking pretty good and more like the artist concepts he used to do way back when he cut his teeth working for Walt Disney Imagineering.

Mark Goldhaber
11-23-2004, 03:25 PM
But from what I've seen of the castle so far, it's looking pretty good and more like the artist concepts he used to do way back when he cut his teeth working for Walt Disney Imagineering.
Ah, but I've heard that the TRUE "Painter of Light" title should go to Dorothea Redmond.... ;)

itig
11-23-2004, 04:12 PM
you can find the info on the painting in this update http://www.mouseplanet.com/parkupdates/dlr/dlr040405.htm

I would love the studio info. I will try and call the place down at the mall I asked them last month and they new nothing maybe they know now.

Hi again - I just called them and they said they are no longer taking deposits at this location, but they can take your name and put you on a list. Doesn't sound the most promising for this particular gallery. I would suggest calling around and seeing what the demand is like at other galleries.

Opus1guy
11-23-2004, 04:23 PM
Ah, but I've heard that the TRUE "Painter of Light" title should go to Dorothea Redmond....

You'll get no argument from me there!

Tinker Bell
11-24-2004, 03:32 PM
I was finally able to get the info. They say that they are not taking deposits according to their corporate office.They did take my name I am on the top of their list for when they get info in they said they will call me.

AVP
11-26-2004, 01:39 PM
FWIW, I was at the Kinkade showroom at the LA Mart in July, and mentioned to my sales rep that Kinkade had been at the park working on a painting of the castle.

A group of people who manage Kinkade galleries were standing nearby and heard me. None of them had heard anything about the painting, and pretty much told my rep that I didn't know what I was talking about. "If he were doing something like that, we'd know."

So perhaps the Kinkade galleries are not the best source of information on this.

From what little I've been able to get out of my sources, *if* the painting and derived works are released, they will be exclusive to Disneyland, and will be part of the merchandise released in May / July.

AVP

jrsharp21
11-27-2004, 09:14 AM
we'd[/I] know."
AVP

Too bad you didn't have any pictures available. I know if it was me and I knew where those people worked, I would take the pictures up to that Kinkade gallery and tell them maybe that they are not the "know it all" of Kinkade info.

Maybe I will do this this weekend at my local gallery. :~D

kbanmen
11-27-2004, 09:22 AM
You'll get no argument from me there!

Just took a tour of the web page you had for club 33 (its a little outdated by the hairstyles, etc)..but boy would I love to go there..guess I can dream..Thanks for sharing this..this is probably the close I will get to going inside

AVP
11-29-2004, 12:04 PM
In case you don't see this in the thread about the Disney Gallery NOT closing, here is the Disney Gallery exhibit schedule for 2005. All of these details and dates are subject to change, but here is the preliminary schedule:

The Gallery will close on January 2 to remove the Haunted Mansion exhibit. This coincides with the date the Haunted Mansion Holiday closes.

The Gallery will be closed for whole month of January, and will reopen in early February with the first of a three-part exhibit series honoring Disneyland's 50th Anniversary.

The first exhibit will feature Fantasyland and the Disney Princesses.

The second exhibit, scheduled to premiere in May, will focus on the remaining 3 original lands of Disneyland. This exhibit will feature a lot of SHAG's retro artwork

At the end of summer 2005, the third exhibit featuring artwork by Thomas Kinkade will debut.

Most of the exhibit artwork, including concept art from four original lands, will be available on the Print on Demand system.

AVP

crazi4dlr
12-01-2004, 10:33 AM
Just got off the phone with the original hometown gallery in Placerville Ca, Kincaide's painting of the castle will be unveiled at DL on May 5th by Kincaide himself. The galleries will begin selling the paintings to the general public in August 2005 on canvas and not sure if prints will be available. Hope this helps.