PDA

View Full Version : New menus at Rancho and Stagedoor Cafe

cstephens
11-21-2004, 09:45 PM
Rancho Del Zocalo has made their menu change, taking out the barbeque items and changing the Mexican items offered. The items sounded interesting, and it's something I'd definitely like to try in the future.

Stagedoor Cafe has also changed their menu, which is now pretty identical to the menu at Strips, Chips and Dips in DCA. They've got chicken strips,
fish, and mozzarella. We ended up having that for dinner tonight. The
chicken and fish were good. The cheese was ok but not great. We wouldn't
order that again.

Lani
11-21-2004, 10:45 PM
I won't miss the BBQ at Zocalo. The one time I had it, I was disappointed because it wasn't actually barbecued with BBQ sauce; just brushed on at the end. No flavor to the meat. Bleaugh!

Alex will be happy to hear that chicken strips have arrived at DL. :D

stan4d_steph
11-22-2004, 05:45 AM
Anyone have a photo of the new menu or menu items? I'm curious to see the new "more authentic" Mexican offerings.

Did they keep the chili at Zocalo? I thought that was pretty good and it was fairly cheap too.

Dlandmom
11-22-2004, 06:11 AM
Anyone know if or where the bbq items may show up?

Lani, the last time I had the bbq (albeit about 2-3 years ago), I really enjoyed it, and so did my toddler daughter at the time.

Surfingstitch
11-22-2004, 07:44 AM
Does anyone know if they will still have the cornbread?

That was my favorite breakfast type items.

karl
11-22-2004, 07:47 AM
The "Grill" side had mostly Chicken and Shrimp dishes. I hear they were pretty good, though the mashed potatoes were a bit spicey.

The "Mexican" side had dishes that more closely resembled the old Casa Mex - Two Tacos, Big Burrito, etc,, but fancied up a bit.

Waited in line too long for the "Mexican" side, ended up just getting a fruit plate which was excellent.

-- Karl

itig
11-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Bummer! I loved the ribs here and it was becoming a tradition for us to sit by the side and watch the trains from Thunder Mountain go by :(

cstephens
11-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Did they keep the chili at Zocalo? I thought that was pretty good and it was fairly cheap too.

I don't remember seeing the chili on the menu. In addition to the regular menu items, they also had standees stating that they were still offering the tostada salad, the tortilla soup (which I've tried before and really liked) and a current tamale special. I'm told that Golden Horseshoe still has their chili, even though they also have the Stagedoor/Strips, Chips menu as well.

I never ate at the bbq side. I tried numerous times, walking up to the line and looking at the sample plates that were there, but it was so much not-Big Thunder that I could never bring myself to try any of it. Friends that have tried it weren't very impressed with it, so that was never an incentive either. If I want bbq, there are other places I can get good stuff, but unfortunately, Disneyland is no longer one of those places.

SoCalDude
11-22-2004, 10:39 AM
I am very gald we got to have the BBQ one last time last week! I really did love the BBQ platter with both the ribs and chicken - get that and some campfire fries for everybody and it was good eats! They did have different cornbread last time - it was not in a muffin thing - it was just cut up and put on the plate - making the bottom of it soggy from the cole slaw juice. But it was still the best cornbread I have ever had!

I can see it was not popular - when we went there was a line all the way to the main walkway! But this was all for the mexican side!! There was no wait at all for teh BBQ stuff, a worker came out and said if anybody wanted BBQ then just to walk in.

But I will miss it - we have eaten there the most out of all the places and it will be missed. :(

Opus1guy
11-22-2004, 12:31 PM
I really did love the BBQ platter with both the ribs and chicken

Me too. Anyplace at all to get Que in Disneyland (not counting Bengal) anymore?

CarlieB
11-22-2004, 01:34 PM
I'm hoping the BBQ section of the menu will return - perhaps this means the return of the Big Thunder BBQ for the 50th?

Dlandmom
11-22-2004, 01:37 PM
I'm hoping the BBQ section of the menu will return - perhaps this means the return of the Big Thunder BBQ for the 50th?
Wouldn't that be great?

I really did like that chicken and ribs platter. I think part of the reason it wasn't as popular was the atmosphere...bbq just tastes better when it's in a rustic setting instead of a restaurant setting.

CarlieB
11-22-2004, 02:13 PM
We used to love sharing that platter. There isn't a lot of that sort of food available here in NZ, so it was kind of novel to us. I hope it comes back.

Pammer
11-22-2004, 02:46 PM
My hubby and I really enjoyed the BBQ beef sandwiches, and ate here almost every visit.

I thought I remember reading about this somewhere else a couple of months ago. Essentially, the BBQ menu items were being moved to another eatery (perhaps Golden Horseshoe?). Anybody else remember this? :confused:

cstephens
11-22-2004, 03:53 PM
Essentially, the BBQ menu items were being moved to another eatery (perhaps Golden Horseshoe?). Anybody else remember this? :confused:

The Golden Horseshoe now also has the menu items that Stagedoor does, and they still have chili as well. Don't know if they're planning to put bbq in later.

Pammer
11-23-2004, 06:49 AM
Darn! Oh well...when I go back in a couple of weeks, I'll put in a request at Guest Services if they still haven't put the BBQ menu anywhere. It probably won't matter, but I'll take a chance!

JEFFJAGUAR
11-23-2004, 08:33 AM
No BBQ...

When they moronically disbanded Big Thunder BBQ for no reason whatsoever, one of the stated reasons is that much of its menu would be moved to the Mexican place. Now the Mexican place is not carrying BBQ; you mean in this entire park, a park that is supposed to represent in some respects what America was and is, doesn't have any place that has BBQ...

This is indefensible. Just some more of the contempt that upper management has for the customers....

zapppop
11-24-2004, 06:13 AM
Anyone have a photo of the new menu or menu items? I'm curious to see the new "more authentic" Mexican offerings.

If the chili was on the barbeque side, it's gone.
There are pics of the new food offerings here (http://www.miceage.com/allutz/al112404a.htm).