PDA

View Full Version : Rides that have made you Queasy

Pages : [1] 2

cemeinke
12-03-2001, 09:06 PM
OK, I know from talking to some of you at the potluck that there was already a "barf" thread sometime back, but I'm too lazy to look for it so I thought I'd nuance the topic a bit and start a new thread.

Generally I've never felt queasy on a Disney ride, mind you I don't jump on the tea cups after a full meal. However, on my first trip to DCA a downed the remains of a warming soda and rode the Sun Wheel on one of the moving cars.

As those of you who have been on this know, it takes forever to load and in the end you make maybe only 2 full rotations before you get out. Hardly a thrill ride. None-the-less, I started to regret drinking that soda and felt like a complete wimp.

Afterwards I got on California Screamin' and the Maliboomer (scared but not queasy) with no ill effects at all.

Anyone else ever feel like a queasy-wimp at Disneyland, or should I just feel embarrassed for having made this public confession?

Not Afraid
12-03-2001, 09:08 PM
I wasn't going to tell all of your secrets, but since you have.........Hmmmm, I'll have to sleep on this one. :D

innerSpaceman
12-03-2001, 09:21 PM
I will readily admit to getting queasy on Teacups a few times.

In fact, I can pretty much induce queasiness on the Teacups, but the sensation is otherwise rare at Disneyland.

Even so, I've managed to get queasy a couple of times riding facing backwards in the last seat of Big TM Railroad, and have occassionally had a tiny split-second's worth of queaze on the drop at Splash Mtn.

And yes, there was a tantalizing moment of dizzying queasiness on the aforementioned Sun Wheel. All that loading and unloading, and no free spinning in between - the wacky rocking motion that the wheel was designed for happened only once.

Getting queasy at Disney can be a challenge.

Julie
12-03-2001, 09:26 PM
Well, the only ride I can say I've ever been queasy on is Splash Mtn. - that drop is intense (needless to say, I'll never go on Jurrassic Park!). No matter what time of day, or regardless when I ate, that drop always gets me. I can ride the Teacups a milllion times and never feel bad at all though.

Mouse
12-03-2001, 09:54 PM
On one of the cast preview days of DCA I went on California Screamin' twice (or was it three times?) in a row. I was embarrassed to admit to my party that I didn't want to go on it again account of my unsettled stomach.

Nigel2
12-03-2001, 09:57 PM
I wouldn't say queezy but Splash does knock the wind out of my lungs when you do the drop, oddly it seems less intense at wdw.

MammaSilva
12-03-2001, 10:05 PM
I don't do the teacups EVER ... once with my troops I "had" to ride because one of my kids was scared of her own shadow even tho I knew she would LOVE the rides if she'd let herself..so we made a deal.. I'd go on the teacups if she would ride the matterhorn....NOW she rides the Matterhorn, Thunder, and Splash..but Mammasilva don't do the spinning (hurling thru space) teacups no mo!

MonorailMan
12-04-2001, 02:57 AM
Not queasy, but I did pass-out on HM when I was 8, after a almost full hour of running from ride to ride, I started to get light-headed in the ballroom scene, and passed-out by graveyard. A CM gently tried to get me up, but it was no good, so they took me on a strecher to First Aid, and woke-up 20 min later.

lisap
12-04-2001, 05:29 AM
I used to love Space Mountain--can't do it anymore because I'm getting too old :( Makes me dizzy and queasy.

I can do teacups if I ride with the girls--they are not strong enough to turn the wheel. I find if I fix on a set point and focus on it I do not get sick.

Splash Mountain does not me feel sick--just that four second tummy flutter--I can walk away from that one.

MouseWife
12-04-2001, 05:34 AM
Why, in my youth I could ride anything.

Now, watching them ride the merry go round makes me queasy.

No way the Tea Cups, can't watch, either.

And, my favorite ride, Dumbo. I can ride it BUT when my son gets the idea to go up and down and up and down and whoa, there is mom closing her eyes and praying for it to end. I don't stop him, it is his fun.

But, we do not ride it twice.

Tink
12-04-2001, 06:30 AM
I develop motion sickness quite easily and can get dizzy from just turning around too quickly.

So, I have to be very careful when I ride Star Tours. No eating at least one hour before and sometimes after. I also have to breathe deeply while on this one - there are no windows to roll down for fresh air.

When I was younger we spun the Teacups so fast that I almost passed out. When the ride stopped, I was unable to get out of the cup and just had to lay there curled on the seat until the world stopped spinning. My husband has the duty of taking the kids on this ride.

:sleep: :eek:

dizneyangel
12-04-2001, 06:48 AM
In my younger days, I never got queasy on anything, (except space mt after Midori margarita's at one of DLH resteraunts). Since I've had the Princess, I can barely ride Space, BTTM, & Star Tours. California Screamin' was an adventure also. Of course now that she's old enough, she wants to do all these rides, so mom just sucks it up, so to speak, and rides anyways. Besides, those are all my faves, too. It's amazing the difference in my
daughter. Last year, she got carsick all the way up to DL, and was too scared to ride anything outside of Fantasyland. Now
she is 7, and since she went with her cousins, is now my little thrill seeker! Which makes it better for us, because now we don't
have to spend 4 days in FL & NOS!!!

EandCDad
12-04-2001, 06:51 AM
Lisap is being nice. I'm the one who can't handle Space Mountain. It made me sick every time I rode it, so I stopped riding it. I ride the Teacups and spin them for my daughters but generally get a little queasy by the end.

I'm scared spitless on the last drop of Splash Mountain, but I don't get sick on it or even queasy.

MouseWife
12-04-2001, 07:15 AM
I can't play the newer video game systems.

The less 'bits' the better. Found this out when N-64 came out.

Those big games they play in the arcade? No way.

Ghoulish Delight
12-04-2001, 07:47 AM
I'm getting older :( Can't handle teacups anymore. And sometimes I get a little over zealous on Roger Rabbit which gets me a little out of sorts.

Star Tours will occasionally get to me, especially later in the day. And for some reason, California Screamin' gets me slightly motion sick. Nothing major, but if it were a minute or so longer, I think I'd have problems.

Not Afraid
12-04-2001, 09:07 AM
Well, I don't usually get sick. I've had just a few cases of motion/car sickness in my life. One time, we were forced to sit in the first row of a movie theater and I didn't make it through the previews without knowing that I was going in a bad direction.

The only time I've felt queasy at DL is on a private party night when I rode the (sob) Rocket Jets over and over without getting out. I think it was a total of 17 times. I didn't feel too hot after that, but the feeling went away after about 1/2 hour.

I've also felt queasy on one of those hammerhead rides at a carnival, and I got queasy in a car once in Switzerland.

I guess I'm lucky. It hasn't changed much with age either. I hope it stays that way - I love the teacups!

MouseWife
12-04-2001, 09:18 AM
You are lucky! Is that where your name comes from, Not Afraid?

Well, I posted to you at another thread but then I realized you might have cancelled your subscription to it.

I now have brown hair. Easier to keep up.

See ya!

Not Afraid
12-04-2001, 09:31 AM
When I decided on this name it was purely because on my avatar. However, I find it fits as a description in more places that I'd imagined. This queasy thing being the perfect example.

On Saturday eve. we went to a play at LATC which is in the heart or downtown LA (6th and Spring). It is a great facility in a really, really bad area. As we were driving I said to Christian "anyone else would be terrified of driving through this area, you're lucky I'm OK with it". He replied "that's because you're Not Afraid". :)

RideMax Mark
12-04-2001, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by EandCDad
I'm the one who can't handle Space Mountain. It made me sick every time I rode it, so I stopped riding it

Space used to bother me too, until I started always requesting the front seat. For some reason, it doesn't affect me nearly as much if I don't have the back of someone else's seat right in my face, and can see a few feet of the track coming up in front of me. Same for Screamin'.

I'm glad I discovered this, because these are two of my kids' favorite rides! :p

Mark
---
Spend less time in line with RideMax for Disneyland! (http://www.ridemax.com)

MouseWife
12-04-2001, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
He replied "that's because you're Not Afraid". :) [/B]

Too funny!

Gemini Cricket
12-04-2001, 11:28 AM
I was ten years old. I force fed myself an ice cream sandwich. I immediately boarded the Mad Tea Party. I spinned my cup as fast as humanly possible. I got sick. My teacup resembled a vomit lawn spinkler. A CM helped a green DisneyLad off of the ride. I became well acquainted with a nearby bench for about a half hour. I'm very well acquainted with this bench to this day, for I will never ride this ride again. Unless no one spins my cup. Ever.
:)

Mad Madam Mim
12-04-2001, 06:52 PM
Anything that spins... and of course

Steps in Time.... Barf....

DisneylandKid
12-04-2001, 06:54 PM
THIS IS A MAJOR SECRET:
Once when I was on Space Mountain, I felt very queasy (this was before the ride), but I told myself that I would do it. But when I got into the rocket, I began to feel very lightheaded, so where the people check your seatbelt at the base of the window (right before you turn), I asked the if I could get out. They stopped the rocket, and released the seatbelt lock. It was pretty embarrassing, but less embarrassing then throwing up on the ride! From now on, I won't do Space Mtn., because I associate it with those memories.

And, I got sick when I was 3 on the Teacups.

MouseWife
12-04-2001, 07:11 PM
Disneylandkid~

Whew! The way it was going I thought I was going to hear something gawd-awful about an experience on Space Mountain!!

I am sure all who would have been effected by you are forever grateful!!!!

slaakker
12-04-2001, 07:36 PM
Don't do Star Tours anymore. The motion makes me ill. I do okay on most stuff but have to be careful on stuff that goes round and round. The Orange stinger wasn't much fun for me.