PDA

View Full Version : Crowds ON Christmas Day?

olddumbguy
11-19-2004, 12:30 PM
Hey guys, I've decided to surprise my wife and daughter with a trip to Disneyland on Christmas day. We will be going with my parents and my sister and niece. My folks havent been there in years and probobly will never go again. I'm looking to make this a very special Christmas for everyone to remember for years to come. Can someone please tell me how crowded I can expect it to be? Christmas is on a Saturday this year. Will it be busier then a normal Saturday during the summer?

sediment
11-19-2004, 12:33 PM
It will be crowded. The word went out years ago that it was a low-crowd day. So, now everyone comes. It's possible that the crowd will lighten a bit from about 4 until 8, but then people will come back after dinner.
Answer to second question: Yes.

Just my opinions. YMMV. RA. SYLD.

DISNEYloon
11-19-2004, 12:35 PM
I'm probably of NO help, since we went to Christmas Day in 1990.

I *convinced* (me being just 21 at the time) a very Christmas Traditional family to go on Christmas Day!

There was a lot of us and it was a blast. Crowds were great, I'd LOVE to know how the crowds are now adays on Christmast Day!

.......HAVE FUN! HO HO HO

rentayenta
11-19-2004, 01:54 PM
YMMV. RA. SYLD.

What does that mean?

Yes, it will be crowded. We'll be there too and I can't wait! Have a great trip :)

sediment
11-19-2004, 02:12 PM
1. Your mileage may vary.
2. Restrictions apply.
3. See your local dealer.

kbanmen
11-19-2004, 02:38 PM
it will be VERY VERY CROWDED..we went in 1999 and space mountain had a 3 year wait..but we still had a great time..I mean it is CHRISTMAS TIME at disneyland

rentayenta
11-19-2004, 04:50 PM
1. Your mileage may vary.
2. Restrictions apply.
3. See your local dealer.

Very cute. Thank you.

Wendi
11-19-2004, 06:36 PM
we went in 1999 and space mountain had a 3 year wait

Wow, that really is crowded... glad they've finished waiting by now...

olddumbguy
11-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Any chance it will sellout? We were planning on taking our time Christmas morning, opening presents, breakfast at home, then the drive in from Riverside. We probobly wont be there before 10:30 or 11 or so. I'm wondering if we should buy our tickets ahead of time.

kbanmen
11-19-2004, 08:01 PM
it was about 2 years ago..I heard on the news on christmas day..they had to close the doors it reached their capacity of 85,000m (which is what it is...DCA is 35,000) they closed the doors at about noon..WOW what a crowd I guess

olddumbguy
11-19-2004, 08:05 PM
I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about this. That many people would greatly take away from the fun, IMHO.

kbanmen
11-19-2004, 08:12 PM
like I said this was a few years ago (2 yhears) last year it was ok..

I do know my hubby went 5 years ago..with his OTHER wife (now ex) he waited for 3 hours for space mtn....

olddumbguy
11-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Well, we will have 2 little girls with us, my daughter and niece, and I'm worried about the lines for the fantasyland, toontown and Small World rides. Disneyland isnt cheap. I have no problem spending that kind of money to make a memorable Christmas, but I dont see how its possible to have a good time with that many people crowded into the park.

kbanmen
11-19-2004, 08:26 PM
bellieve me it will be crowded on christmas day..

cstephens
11-19-2004, 10:31 PM
Well, we will have 2 little girls with us, my daughter and niece, and I'm worried about the lines for the fantasyland, toontown and Small World rides. Disneyland isnt cheap. I have no problem spending that kind of money to make a memorable Christmas, but I dont see how its possible to have a good time with that many people crowded into the park.

If that's a concern, I would definitely pick some day other than Christmas. Especially since it's on a Saturday this year, I expect it will be fairly crowded.

RagtimePrince
11-20-2004, 12:54 AM
If you can manage to do something like "In a week we're going to Disneyland!" you'd have extremely light crowds to deal with, and all the holiday decorations. I went on January 2nd last year and it was very light attendance, and that's close enough to Xmas that you could reveal the surprise then and have it still feel like a present when you can leisurely enjoy everything in the park.

TP2000
11-20-2004, 03:56 AM
Christmas Day, and any other day when the majority of Americans have the day off of work, will be extremely crowded at Disneyland.

The time when people stayed at home and did "traditional" things on Christmas ended years ago. The entire world will be clamoring to get in to Disneyland during the last two weeks of December, and if you don't get there before Noon you may be shut out and forced to go to DCA until Disneyland empties out a bit.

It will be very, very, very crowded at Disneyland on Christmas Day. Expect waits of up to two hours for many rides. Walkways will be jammed, and occasionally they gridlock for periods of time and no one can move in any direction. Restaurants will have long waits to get food. Stores will be crammed. Ladies restrooms will have lines out the door. The parade and Fantasmic will be a complete zoo.

You will not be the only one with that day off, and there are over 40 Million other Californians within two hours drive of Disneyland who also have the same idea you have to take the kiddies to Disneyland. Think twice, and then pick a time when it is not a major American holiday.

bandboy1985
11-20-2004, 05:40 PM
ok. christmas day is not the melee of the year. it's not impossible, but it is more crowded than a usual day at the park.

if i may suggest? the first two weeks of december are dead. DEAD! seriously? if you can work it? take a weekday then and go. you'll enjoy yourselves so much more. however, i do understand the idea of being there "on the day" and making that day special. but if crowds would ruin that, and you can make it work another way, that's what i'd suggest.

all the holiday entertainment will be on, parade, fireworks, snow, holiday food...etc. with a fraction of the people. and just because it's christmas doesn't mean people will be any more courteous than any other day of the year. guests come in all shapes, sizes and temperments. many of whom feel entitled to special treatment because they happen to be there on 12/25.

The Mouse Is Back
11-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Just thought I would mention...Christmas Eve is usually not very crowded. The parks close early (I think DL closes at 8:00 p.m.), but there's plenty of time to do lots of stuff.

Disclaimer: Due to the fact that many people have posted about Christmas Eve not being crowded (myself included), everyone might decide to go.

If that happens...sorry!

-Allegra-

olddumbguy
11-24-2004, 06:56 PM
This is probobly off the wall, but what about going to DCA for the day? How crowded will that be? I've never been there and neither has my family. As long as it's not crowded I'm sure we will have a good time.