PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone miss the Monorail Cafe?

Pages : [1] 2

dlandnut
11-19-2004, 09:10 AM
As much as I enjoy Downtown Disney, the Disneyland Hotel, and the Grand Californian, I DO miss the old Monorail Cafe. It was a great restaurant for a sit down meal, but a cup of coffee was ok, too. You could get everything from a cup of soup, to hamburger, to steak. Nothing in Downtown Disney matches it, menu-wise or price-wise. When I have visited the last few times, I've just missed having a good old all-American restaurant, nothing too fancy, with a breakfast/lunch/dinner menu without all the extras. Anyone else? :)

katiesue
11-19-2004, 09:22 AM
I miss it too. It was the best place to sit down and relax. The food was great and the prices were decent.

olegc
11-19-2004, 09:23 AM
yeah - I miss it too. It was a place to get some Disney Magic in a casual setting - and not feel like you had to get into the park to do it. The 50's modern theming was great - too.

Andrew
11-19-2004, 09:25 AM
Yes.

scottmen
11-19-2004, 09:54 AM
I miss it. I used to love the Vanilla cokes. And that one sandwich with ham and cheese that was melted. French fries with Ranch dressing. And the place mats with find Mickey. I even got one of those cool napkin/salt & pepper shaker holders. There you to be a waiter there, I think his name was Chris, not sure, but he always had funny pens and wore a Goofy hat. He was a nice guy.

:crying:

Opus1guy
11-19-2004, 10:06 AM
They had the best fresh hot roasted turkey every day (not just Thanksgiving).

Yep...I miss it.

hefferdude
11-19-2004, 11:03 AM
Monorail Cafe was "THE" coffee shop/ eatery for our family!! It was a huge let down when they demolished it. We used to get dinner salads, split a chimichonga, the boys would have grilled cheese or a burger. They'd be wearing the paper mickey masks and coloring the table placemat.

Loved to sit in the atrium ( it was also the non-smoking area early on...). Watched the fireworks one night while waiting for a table. :cool: Still have two MC blue frisbees from one of our trips hangin on our Mickeywall.

A running joke ( my family hates it ) when we go to a particular chain diner that has a similar atrium setup, ( B*k*r*S*q*r ) I always comment I think I just heard the Mark Twain or I think I can see our car over by Flower. :D

tlovesdis
11-19-2004, 11:49 AM
I miss it a lot! They had the best food there! We loved to get milkshakes and fries!!! I loved their grilled cheese too!!!

rentayenta
11-19-2004, 11:52 AM
I don't even remember it. Where was it located?

Opus1guy
11-19-2004, 12:04 PM
I don't even remember it. Where was it located?

That's hard to describe with words, but in this photo it would be on the extreme left of the photo behind the monorail:

http://63.249.135.19/synthetrix/DLH1968/images/02.jpg

And there is a really old interior shot on the bottom right of this photo:

http://63.249.135.19/synthetrix/DLH1968/images/05.jpg

And somebody's shot of the cool Monorail mural inside:

http://www.cruelty.com/disneyland96/images/hotel_monorailcafe03.jpg

cstephens
11-19-2004, 02:51 PM
It definitely wasn't a gourmet place, but it had good diner/"comfort" food. And I have many fond memories of meals with friends there. We were going through some of our "miscellaneous Disney" stuff recently and happened upon the menus that we'd gotten from our last meal there. :sigh: I think I have a button somewhere as well. I used to love their "blue plate special" and even the blue plate itself! :geek:

TrekkieDad
11-19-2004, 05:21 PM
That reminds me of another eatery long gone from the DH. It was an ice cream parlor on the bottom floor of the square shopping building. What was it called? Mazie's? :| Just above it was a toy store.

rentayenta
11-19-2004, 05:31 PM
Thank you Opus1 :)

MrsG
11-19-2004, 05:42 PM
We so miss the Monorail Cafe. Hubby especially. He complains about it being gone every time we go. Turkey dinner any time you want!

Opus1guy
11-19-2004, 06:51 PM
I should also mention that there was a Cast Cafeteria with incredibly great prices (even after the Inn Betweens raised their's substantially) located through a door at the far side of the Monorail Cafe. They had a really great selection in there as well as a couple of short order cooks that would put together just about anything you could think of (or was on the menu). Very friendly place and good food for the Cast. It was supposed to be for hotel Cast Members only, but I know a lot of Disneyland Cast snuck in from time to time and nobody really paid any mind.

The same bulldozer took that out as well.

tikiboy
11-19-2004, 11:07 PM
I miss the Monorail Cafe SO MUCH!!!!

Lots of great memories from that place. Even though I ate there too many
times to count, I only remember eating two things:

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse - Club sandwich
Chubby Cheddar - The Cheeseburger.

DCA, DTD, and Grand Californian are all I waste. I want my parking lot, and monorail cafe back!!!!

Disney Vault
11-20-2004, 12:44 PM
DCA, DTD, and Grand Californian are all I waste. I want my parking lot, and monorail cafe back!!!!
Do you seriously not like DTD. I am so glad that was added and it is just so fun to walk around that area.

MrsG
11-20-2004, 01:18 PM
DTD is a great addition to the resort, but don't you think they could've fit the Monorail Cafe in there somewhere??

Disney Vault
11-20-2004, 02:42 PM
I bet they still could. It doesnt look that big and they could just work around what is already in that area.

kbanmen
11-20-2004, 03:21 PM
where was it located?? I dont even remember it. (Obviously near the monorail station)..but where exactly??

JeffG
11-20-2004, 03:37 PM
I definitely think that the Disneyland Resort really needs another location with a menu comparable to what was offered at the Monorail Cafe. I also generally liked the overall look and atmosphere of the place.

I never thought the food was very good, though, so I can't say that I really "miss" the restaurant very much...

-Jeff

Opus1guy
11-20-2004, 03:57 PM
where was it located?? I dont even remember it. (Obviously near the monorail station)..but where exactly??

It was on the far southeast corner of the same building as Neon Cactus/Sgt. Preston's and the old Goofy's Kitchen.

See Post #10 above for photo references.

CrazyDreamer
11-20-2004, 04:10 PM
The Monorail Cafe was our family's annual place to eat also. I don't remember much of it... the placemats that I found amusing because they still showed "Disney Afternoons" where Toon Town had since been built, the atrium that I remember thinking was pretty... I don't even remember what I used to order there.
And in response to a previous post, another place we always used to eat was Mazie's Pantry. Again, my memory fails me, but I think I had my first croissant sandwiches there and some of those Mickey shaped cookies. Just two examples of wonderful places that now reside in Yesterland. :crying:

Opus1guy
11-20-2004, 04:18 PM
As a young man a long, long time ago, I remember they had Captain Hook (I think) children's menus with holes in them for the eyes, and the kids would wear them and you'd see all these extremely short pirates at all the tables. :)

Nancy
11-20-2004, 08:20 PM
I still have a frisbee and the kids cups with the lids and straws form the Monorail Cafe. We actually got the turkey once at 11:30 at night. I miss it too. :crying: