PDA

View Full Version : CM tokens of appreciation

rentayenta
11-18-2004, 05:47 PM
John at Vacation Planning as been instrumental in the planning of my vacation. I want to give him a token of my appreciation and I am not sure what to give. I already have the name of his supervisor and she will be getting a nice long detailed letter explaining how wonderful he has been if I am unable to talk to her in person. I don't think money is appropriate and I don't really know him. I know he drinks coffee- because I asked. I was wondering if you all have ever given a gift to someone in a similar position?

Darkbeer
11-18-2004, 05:53 PM
One thing that I always use as a "backup" gift if I don't know what else to give, Lottery Tickets (Scratchers), you don't actually hand over the money, but they have the "entertainment" value, and the chance to win...

Also easy to send, though you would want to give him California tickets, so you would need to have someone buy you some....

rentayenta
11-18-2004, 05:57 PM
I like that idea Darkbeer! Do you ever actually "see" the folks in Vacation Planning? Could I leave a gift with management or someone to see that he gets it? This all so new to me. I feel like a bumpkin :confused:

kbanmen
11-18-2004, 06:02 PM
lottery tickets sounds like a great idea...or maybe a gift certifcate to something..Like starbucks (since he loves coffee) they have the gift certificates here in california..just a thought

kbanmen
11-18-2004, 06:04 PM
a letter is a great thing..to let their supervisor you were pleased with the service..and hopefully they hear about it..its nice to hear someone was happy with some sort of service..because alot of times we hear about the bad things that have happened..dont we??

Darkbeer
11-18-2004, 06:59 PM
If you give someone at the hotel front desk a sealed envelope that has the exact person's name on it, such as "John from Vacation Planning", more than likely it should get to him, but just like the US Mail, there is a small chance of it not getting to the right person. The closer you get to the source, the better chance of it getting there...

sediment
11-18-2004, 07:00 PM
If a total stranger gave me a candy cane, I wouldn't eat it.

rentayenta
11-18-2004, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't dream of sending anything though the mail. I really would like to give it to him in person. Do they have an office at one of the DLR hotels?

Sediment, have you been nipping the cooking sherry? ;) Candy canes?

sediment
11-18-2004, 07:10 PM
I thought I read that you were going to hand out candy canes to CMs at Disneyland.
(I had to make sure it was still good enough to cook with (hic!).)

PhilMP
11-18-2004, 07:11 PM
Ummm...just so you guys know, CMs not working in a job classification where tipping is authorized are prohibited from accepting tips or gifts for performing Guest service.

I have no idea how strictly this policy is enforced at Vacation Planning, but that's just something to keep in mind.

Phil

sediment
11-18-2004, 07:11 PM
I DID see it. Wrong thread. Never you mind me.

kbanmen
11-18-2004, 07:12 PM
I still think a star bucks gift certificate is a good one..he loves coffee, right>>

rentayenta
11-18-2004, 07:13 PM
I thought I read that you were going to hand out candy canes to CMs at Disneyland.
(I had to make sure it was still good enough to cook with (hic!).)

I think it is DisneyDustin22 that is going to be the candy cane hander outer.

poohbunnieshutch
11-18-2004, 08:42 PM
Give him a starbucks card, he loves coffee and if you don't write the amount on the card, he's not going to have to report it. I know that if its over a certain amount they have to report it or share it as they really aren't allowed to accept tips. He very well deserves it as he is an absolute doll! A living doll! And a very dear friend who takes such good care of his little pooh bunny :)

Esmerelda
11-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Ummm...just so you guys know, CMs not working in a job classification where tipping is authorized are prohibited from accepting tips or gifts for performing Guest service.

I have no idea how strictly this policy is enforced at Vacation Planning, but that's just something to keep in mind.

Phil
Phil's right. We are trained to say no 3 times. If the guest still insists on giving us ANYTHING after that, we are supposed to report it to management, where it then goes through some sort of decision making process. At least, that's what's supposed to happen. I personally feel that it puts the CM in somewhat of an awkward position. On the other hand, written compliments are very much appreciated by management and the CM alike! Just my two cents. :)

Renta - I am just so happy that you got such good service. YAY!!!! I hope you have a WONDERFUL TIME!!!

Opus1guy
11-18-2004, 09:44 PM
PhilMP writes:

Esmerelda agrees:
Phil's right. We are trained to say no 3 times. If the guest still insists on giving us ANYTHING after that, we are supposed to report it to management, where it then goes through some sort of decision making process.

That's indeed what the policy was (at least several years ago it was). You had to decline it at least 3 times and if the guest was still insisting you take it, you were to accept it but you had to report it to management and they decided if you could keep it or if you had to return it to the guest, or if the guest was not known, if the thing was donated to charity or whatever.

DCAWhites
11-18-2004, 11:07 PM
I am not completely sure, but management went over this with us during a roll call recently since i learned the 3 no's rule. For cash i *think* you had to decline it just once now, and report it to management to have the taxes taken from it. If you want to give it to the manager talk to her over the phone first, and say "i insist" until she gives in.

Also, be careful with what you're calling "vacation planning". If i'm not mistaken, they call cms selling tickets in the esplanade "vacation planners". Isn't it "walt disney travel co" you were talking with?

rentayenta
11-19-2004, 05:15 AM
DCAWhites, I have been helped by John at his email addy at disney and the 1714 300PLAN phone number. He has helped me with everything but getting tickets :)

TribeFan
11-19-2004, 06:23 AM
The Vacation Planning Department (not main gate) is actually part of Hotel Guest Services and their office is at the Grand Californian Hotel. Yes, they are allowed to accept thank you gifts. It needs to be a value of less than $75. Gift cards are SUCH a great idea. Even a simple card is so appreciated by any cast member. Your heart is in the right place! :)

kbanmen
11-19-2004, 06:50 AM
yes there is the 3 no rule.but at orientation I think it was said for cash or for a gift worth more than $75 I think..a star bucks card (I dont think) would be in this category..but I could be wrong

rentayenta
11-19-2004, 06:58 AM
The Vacation Planning Department (not main gate) is actually part of Hotel Guest Services and their office is at the Grand Californian Hotel. Yes, they are allowed to accept thank you gifts. It needs to be a value of less than $75. Gift cards are SUCH a great idea. Even a simple card is so appreciated by any cast member. Your heart is in the right place! :)

Thank you TribeFan! Even if I can't meet with him personally, just knowing that I can at least drop it off at the right office makes me feel better :) I have a feeling my trip is going to be full of CM compliments and letter writing.