PDA

View Full Version : Happy Birthday, Walt Disney

Ace
12-03-2001, 05:02 PM
Walt Disney was, in my opinion, one of the greatest men ever to live. He had so many great ideas that it's hard to comprehend. This, which will mostly be about Disneyland, is dedicated to him, my idol, and the man who made this message board possible...

Walt Disney was born on December 5, 1901. Althrough out his life, he took risks. And every one of them paid off. He mortgaged his car in order to fund his animation business, which was the number one innovator in animation technologies and methods, and probably still is. He thought not of money, except as a way to fund his many projects.

Disneyland opened on July 17, 1955. It was Walt's favorite thing in the world. He spent his free time there, and he celebrated his wedding anniversary on the Mark Twain before opening day.

Disneyland started as a dream, as most great things do. It started with Walt's vision: A family park, something that was carefully planned and constructed, where every detail was exact. He wanted a place where people of all ages could enjoy themselves, no matter what.

Walt and his team thought out every aspect of the park in tremendous detail. There are no right angle pathways, no spaceships in the jungle, and no bad feelings. Walt's number one priority was that everyone, no matter what, have fun at his new park. He specially trained the first employees to act in a certain way to the guests.

Walt believed in following dreams, no matter how far out or nachievable they seemed. Many, many people told him that Disneyland would fail, because of too many non-profitable expenses (such as the team of people who go out every morning and check every light on Main Street). Or because the public just did not care. But he did not flinch, or back down. He went full steam ahead with a very ambitious project that was unheard of in 1955. No one else would have had the courage to try something so risky.

Walt succeeded because he was not interested in profit margins or accounting. He was interested in his park. He spent time there, listening to what guests said and making changes according. He believed Disneyland to be something living, something that would never be finished. As long as there was imagination left in the world, he would say, Disneyland will never be finished.

Walter Elias Disney changed my life. Without him, there would be no Disneyland. There would be no Mickey Mouse, no Donald Duck and, probably, no cartoons, as we know them today. He was a great, great man. Had I been alive on December 15, 2001, I would have cried. I still get teary-eyed today. But I know that Walt's spirit lives on, in his movies, and, especially, at Disneyland. My favorite experiences are all there. When I go, in 6 days, I will be sure to stop at the Partners Statue, in the hub, where I will silently remember a great, great man.

----Squinky

p.s. I know it's early, but I had to write this...

Gemini Cricket
12-03-2001, 05:42 PM
Well said.

:)

innerSpaceman
12-03-2001, 07:09 PM
That was quite cool.

thank you, Squinky, that was so nice to read right now.

Nigel2
12-03-2001, 09:40 PM
Very nice but can you untie squinky now and let him back to his computer.:D

Doodle Duck
12-04-2001, 07:49 PM
Squinky...you are without a doubt, the most entertaining poster on this board! And not just your name either!
Thanks
Doug

FantasmicFan82
12-04-2001, 08:34 PM
on the west coast..... 2 hours and 12 minutes to go....... Happy Birthday Walt!

innerSpaceman
12-05-2001, 05:11 AM
As the sun rises on the day Walt Disney would have been 100 years old, I would like to wish all MousePadders a very happy Walt's Birthday.

DisneylandKid
12-05-2001, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
As the sun rises on the day Walt Disney would have been 100 years old, I would like to wish all MousePadders a very happy Walt's Birthday. Yes!

mad4mky
12-05-2001, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
As the sun rises on the day Walt Disney would have been 100 years old, I would like to wish all MousePadders a very happy Walt's Birthday.

Thanks...sounds good to me.
Wish I could be at DL. But...I am there in spirit.

Morrigoon
12-05-2001, 04:25 PM
Insanely jealous of you lucky few who could be at DL or the Motion Picture Academy thing. Please post trip reports!

Walter Elias Disney - Visionary, Entrepreneur, Patriot, and America's favorite Uncle

awinner
12-05-2001, 10:43 PM
I just wanted to get the last b-day wish to Walt before it became 12/6/01. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

stinkerbell
12-05-2001, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Very nice but can you untie squinky now and let him back to his computer.:D
Very touching squinky, thank you!
Nigel--that's funny stuff!:D

Crazytigger
12-06-2001, 06:35 AM
You all can see my report in another thread I started called Wlats Birthday. Were you there.