PDA

View Full Version : Granville's Steak House

rentayenta
11-16-2004, 04:47 PM
I made reservations for Christmas Eve dinner and I am looking for any current reviews. The most recent I can find was in June for breakfast. Has anyone been there recently for dinner or familiar with their menu? Thanks :)

stan4d_steph
11-16-2004, 06:10 PM
I haven't been recently, but it sounds wonderful. I'm sure there will be some people chiming in soon. :)

Jewels
11-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Rentayenta, we were there in September for our anniversary. The service was wonderful. Our waiter was great. He asked when we came in if we were celebrating anything and we said our anniversary. They surprised us at the end of the meal with a small cheesecake with the words Happy Anniversary written in chocolate on the plate. Very nice place. Romantic lighting. It was busy but still very quiet. Ok for kids but the table next to us had a 3 and 4 year old that seemed very bored. Of course you do have to walk by Goofy's Kitchen to get there and I think the kids thought they were going there. So they were pretty restless during the meal. We had a four year old with us (not at this meal) but I do know it is hard to get them past Goofy's. The food was really good. I had chicken and mixed potatoes that had some rosemary butter. My husband had the steak and the bite I had was really good. I know that they have a kids meal but did not look at it. And I am sure they will have something special for the holidays.

Here is the sample menu I found online seems up to date that is what we paid for steak and chicken:

Grilled Ribeye Steak - 16 oz: $28.95
Grilled Filet Mignon - 8 oz: $29.95
Herb Crusted Prime Rib - 16oz: $26.95
Grilled Swordfish Steak: $24.95
Pan-Roasted Free Range Chicken: $22.25
Whole Atlantic Maine Lobster: Market Price
Granville's Souffle: $7.95
Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee: $6

rentayenta
11-16-2004, 07:17 PM
Thank you Kalerose. We will have our three children (7, 5 and 3). They are not picky eaters. They love steak and seafood. The prices are a little steep but it is Christmas Eve. Could you please direct me to the online menu that you found? Thank you :)

Jewels
11-16-2004, 07:23 PM
I just googled granville's menu and the first thing up was thelaughingplace.com. And that was all they had. I thought someone on MP had a website of DLR menus. I will try and remember or hopefully that person reads this. MP has a menu but it said as of May 2001 and I saw somethings that were not there when we were.

rentayenta
11-16-2004, 07:31 PM
I think you are referring to cstephens site. It only has a breakfast menu from Granville's. Thanks again :)

spectromen
11-16-2004, 09:47 PM
The dinner menu is a LOT better than the breakfast one :D
I've been within the past year and it's comparable in quality to the Vineyard Room at DCA. Excellent steaks, nice atmosphere (although it has been recently remodeled and is now much "plainer" than it used to be - why are those considered good remodels?) and high prices but well worth it, especially if you have an annual pass to use as a discount. If not, I guess I'll have to go with you so you can use mine :eek:

KarenW2
11-16-2004, 10:49 PM
My husband and I have been to Granville's 3 times and think it's a great restaurant! The atmosphere is much more relaxing there than at Napa Rose and we like the food choices better at G's than NR. We met Chef Jason the first time we ate there and he gave us a tour of their wine room. He was very friendly and informative.

First time we ate there was to see if we would like it for the Candlelight Processional dinner package last year. We liked it, so we made our reservation for the CP package at Granville's. It was the first time they tried something like that and they weren't quite prepared to get everyone out in enough time to make it over to the park before the CP started. We had to take our dessert "to go" and didn't find out til we got home that they'd packed the ICE CREAM that came on top of the Tart Tatin in the container! We had melted ice cream all over the container and I was very glad I asked for it to be placed in a plastic bag. Otherwise, we would've had melted ice cream on the car mats as well!

The third time we went, was on May 26th, for our 25th anniversary. We were staying at the GCH and unbeknownst to me, my hubby had called Chef Jason ahead of time, to make the reservation and to ask if he could come up with something special for our 25th in dark CHOCOLATE, since I love dark chocolate. CJ said he would speak to the pastry chef and see what they could come up with. We went to dinner, CJ came out to speak with us again, wished us a Happy 25th and we had a very nice dinner.

When dessert time came, they came out with a very large white platter. On the platter was an amazing surprize! There were 2 chocolate covered creme brules, but around them was a fantastic dark chocolate SCULPTURE!!! It had large cut out chocolate sculpted hearts with red roses "printed" on the carved chocolate, "Happy 25th" was carved into one of the large chocolate hearts and there was a beautiful spun sugar rose on a little sugar dome at the base of the chocolate sculpture. It was totally amazing and my husband was blown away as well, since he didn't know what they were going to do specifically. The manager came by, wished us a Happy 25th Anniversary and when the check came, my husband was surprised again. They only charged us for 2 creme brules at $7 each or whatever they normally were. When my husband asked if that was correct, the manager said yes, it was. He said to consider the chocolate sculpture their gift for our 25th anniversary!

Needless to say, we've made our reservation for the CP dinner package at Granville's again! If you'd like to see photos of the sculpture, let me know and I'll see if my hubby can post the photos we took of it here.

rentayenta
11-17-2004, 04:57 AM
WOW Karen! I would love to see the photos and thank you for the great review. Chef Jason sounds like a good guy. What a wonderful anniversary dinner.

AVP
11-17-2004, 08:18 AM
Granville's has a new set of menus, which I just need to find time to type up.

AVP

DISNEYloon
11-17-2004, 08:24 AM
I use this cool little website for when we want different dining options than what it offered on the DLR property.

http://anaheim.diningguide.net/

Hope someone here finds it useful!

11-17-2004, 08:57 AM
Where in the DLH is Granville's Steak House? Is it the former Stromboli's?

Surfingstitch
11-17-2004, 09:00 AM
HHHmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......

What are the hours that this place operates?

Andrew
11-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Helen, it's next door to Goofy's / former Stromboli's. The entrance is to the left of the stairs, and to the right of the Brass Rail lounge.

cstephens
11-17-2004, 10:36 AM
to the right of the Brass Rail lounge.

I think it's "Top Brass".

Opus1guy
11-17-2004, 04:00 PM
spectromen notes:
although it has been recently remodeled and is now much "plainer" than it used to be - why are those considered good remodels?

I have the same question. Used to be very dark and romantic. I don't like the look since the remodel as much.

But it remains a great restaurant. I actually prefer it to the Vineyard Room at California Adventure. Though someone told me recently that they no longer bring the raw cuts of meat out to your table to select from (a la Morton's Steakhouse). Can anyone confirm this?

Anyway, this was the replacement restaurant for Club 33 whenever the Club was down for refurbishment or in "overflow" situations, and special arrangements and table/waiter priority was given to Club members there during those times. Now I believe the Club uses the Vineyard Room for that.

The manager there for many, many years (and still could be for all I know) was a gentleman named Cliff. He was a very friendly guy that had been with the Disneyland Hotel waaaaay back into the early Wrather days. He also filled in as substitute manager for Club 33 when there were gaps in management due to changes there. Great guy. Very "Disney" in the best sense of the word.

While most folks recommend either the Vineyard Room or Napa Rose when looking for a romantic spot to dine at Disney...I still recommend Granville's for those times when you want a quiet and romantic dining experience, tucked away from the crowds of the rest of the Resort. And great, great food to boot.

And for those that don't know, the restaurant is named after Jack Wrather's (http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/W/htmlW/wratherjack/wratherjack.htm) (the original owner of the Disneyland Hotel) wife, and famous screen actress in her own right...Bonita Granville (http://members.tripod.com/~classicfilmfan/bg/) (of the Disneyland Hotel's Tower & Steakhouse fame). ;)

SoCalSteven
11-17-2004, 07:45 PM
But it remains a great restaurant. I actually prefer it to the Vineyard Room at California Adventure. Though someone told me recently that they no longer bring the raw cuts of meat out to your table to select from (a la Morton's Steakhouse). Can anyone confirm this?
As of a couple months ago this was true.

Of course, we got the pre-fixe menu, so maybe that makes a difference.

bubsy
11-18-2004, 09:32 AM
I think it's "Top Brass".

hee. the brass rail is a "gentlemen's" club in San Jose

Princess Booker
11-19-2004, 08:09 AM
spectromen notes:

I have the same question. Used to be very dark and romantic. I don't like the look since the remodel as much.

Yes I can most certainly confirm it. We still eat at Granville's a couple of times a year at least. I also miss the Raspberry and Chocolate souflee choices. The still have the Gran Marnier souflee though for dessert. I also miss the 20 layer chocolate cake they used to have. The layers were about 1 cm and in between each layer was a different flavor of icing or fruit filling... yum.

rentayenta
11-19-2004, 11:48 AM
Will they allow me to share a plate with one of my children? My oldest (7) and I will usually share steak and scampi or crab.

Thanks for the info Opus1 and PricessBooker.

KarenW2
11-21-2004, 09:13 PM
Hi rentayenta,
Here are some photos of the glorious dark chocolate dessert we received on our 25th anniversary at Granville's. The photos don't exactly do the dessert justice, but they should give you an idea of what we enjoyed!

The plate of desserts
(http://members.cox.net/no.spam.please/desserts.jpg)

The spun sugar rose
(http://members.cox.net/no.spam.please/flower.jpg)

The spun sugar rose and chocolate sculpture
(http://members.cox.net/no.spam.please/flower_and_chocolate.jpg)

rentayenta
11-22-2004, 04:46 AM
WOW! It really looks too amazing to eat. That is so impressive.

KarenW2
11-22-2004, 09:36 AM
Actually, we didn't eat the whole thing yet. I put a lot of it in Tupperware and it's in my fridge right now. It's hard to tell the size from the photos, but it was VERY large and the chocolate was VERY good!! The creme brules were also very good too!!

You also can't tell from the photos, but the sculpture was 3-D! That means it had like 3 hearts the same size, each separated by large sculpted chocolate balls, so each one would stand out from the other. We had just watched a show on the food channel, a chocolate sculpture competition and we were so amazed at those sculptures, so this was a really nice surprise! Not the typical candle in a cupcake, y'know?? :D

rentayenta
11-22-2004, 10:55 AM
Your dessert reminds me of the dessert my DH made for me last Valentine's Day. He made a chocolate bag, litterally, with berries and custard falling out of it. It was truly a process. The bag ws laying on it's side with berries spilling over. It was amazing. It was sorts sad when the kids and I dug in.