PDA

View Full Version : Questions about upgrading a Park Hopper to a Deluxe AP

Mommy2NicknMax
11-16-2004, 02:49 PM
I have a 5 Day Park Hopper for my upcoming trip. I had planned on upgrading it to a Deluxe AP on my last day there. Is that something that can be done? If so, where do you go to do it?

Thanks!

PumbaaMan
11-16-2004, 03:25 PM
I believe you can upgrade a hopper pass through the last day of use. I think you go to the Annual Pass distribution area and they can take care of it there.

Earkid
11-16-2004, 04:26 PM
You can upgrade anytime before you leave. Realize, however, that the AP will have as its' expiration date the first day you used the park hopper not the day you upgrade (unless they are the same day).

kbanmen
11-16-2004, 04:28 PM
I have a 5 Day Park Hopper for my upcoming trip. I had planned on upgrading it to a Deluxe AP on my last day there. Is that something that can be done? If so, where do you go to do it?

Thanks!

you can upgrade anytime i think. I think you go to the guest relation area..or where you buy the tickets. AFter you pay for the upgrade you then go to the annual pass distribution center where they will take your picture. THe annual pass distribution area is now located at the exit of space mountain (since space mountain isnt open until may 2005)

Mommy2NicknMax
11-16-2004, 04:32 PM
You can upgrade anytime before you leave. Realize, however, that the AP will have as its' expiration date the first day you used the park hopper not the day you upgrade (unless they are the same day).

Really? I hadn't heard that before. What a bummer, I was hoping it would expire the day I do the upgrade. Now it may not be worth it. Oh well.

kohl
11-16-2004, 04:35 PM
I thought the expiration date was the day you upgraded the pass, not the first use of your Hopper. I could be wrong. It might be woth it to ask when you are there.

Darkbeer
11-16-2004, 04:35 PM

Thanks!
Yes, you can upgrade your ParkHopper to an AP...

First, you need to upgrade while the ParkHopper is still valid, so make sure you do it on the last day, or before the 14 days are up. (It is best to do it on your last day, since the ParkHopper has no blockout days, and the AP might.)

You get the price you paid for the ParkHopper as a credit towards and AP (for example, the current 5 day special discounted ticket is worth $129, not the full 5 day price).

You must Upgrade, so someone with a $129 5 day ticket cannot purchase a SoCal Select AP, as it is less in price than the ParkHopper.

The expiration date should be the first day the ParkHopper was used (though sometimes the CM processing the AP forgets to back date it, if that happens, it is just your lucky day, but don't expect it).

All upgrades are processed at the AP Processing center, currently located next to the StarCade in Tommorrowland, in the old Space Mountain exit area. Just bring the ParkHoppers to the area (and make sure all members of your family that are getting AP's also come with you). At the processing center, they will ask you which type of AP you want, calculate the difference, collect the money (cash or charge) and your ParkHopper, gather your personal information (address, etc.), and then have your photo taken. The AP's are handed to you while you wait.

Earkid
11-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Hi Mommy2,

We had 5 day parkhoppers in Sept of '03 and we asked about upgrading our first day in the park and the CM stated that we would lose our "unlimited" fastpass feature if we upgraded right then. THen she told us that even if we upgraded on our last day at the park the expiration date on the pass would be the first day that appears on the park hopper. ex. We upgraded on Sept 26 but our passes expire on Sept 22. THis was last year but I don't think that has changed.

Hope that helps

kbanmen
11-16-2004, 04:36 PM
Yes, you can upgrade your ParkHopper to an AP...

First, you need to upgrade while the ParkHopper is still valid, so make sure you do it on the last day, or before the 14 days are up. (It is best to do it on your last day, since the ParkHopper has no blockout days, and the AP might.)

You get the price you paid for the ParkHopper as a credit towards and AP (for example, the current 5 day special discounted ticket is worth $129, not the full 5 day price).

You must Upgrade, so someone with a $129 5 day ticket cannot purchase a SoCal Select AP, as it is less in price than the ParkHopper.

The expiration date should be the first day the ParkHopper was used (though sometimes the CM processing the AP forgets to back date it, if that happens, it is just your lucky day, but don't expect it).

All upgrades are processed at the AP Processing center, currently located next to the StarCade in Tommorrowland, in the old Space Mountain exit area. Just bring the ParkHoppers to the area (and make sure all members of your family that are getting AP's also come with you). At the processing center, they will ask you which type of AP you want, calculate the difference, collect the money (cash or charge) and your ParkHopper, gather your personal information (address, etc.), and then have your photo taken. The AP's are handed to you while you wait.

WHen my hubbby renewed his AP he had to pay at the ticket booths in front of the park then go to the pass distribution area...(guess they changed it)..this was in september

CoasterChickie
11-16-2004, 04:50 PM
You might want to upgrade at the beginning of the trip anyways because you get lots of good discounts throughout the park with the annual premium pass.
I'm not sure about the deluxe pass though. Maybe someone else here does. :)

Mommy2NicknMax
11-16-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks for all the info. I think I'll stick with the deluxe. The discounts with the premium are nice but the new jacked up price is not so great.

It's still a better deal than just straight out buying park hoppers again next year though.

Darkbeer
11-16-2004, 05:03 PM
WHen my hubbby renewed his AP he had to pay at the ticket booths in front of the park then go to the pass distribution area...(guess they changed it)..this was in september
Renewal's are a differfent story, as are folks that bought a one-day ticket to DCA...

Renewals can be processed at either the Main Entry Plaza (if you go to Guest Relations, they will print your AP right there (with your old photo, since they don't have camera's). If someone shows up right after the AP expired, you won't be allowed in the park without paying. But if your AP is about to expire, you could either renew at Guest Relations, or at the AP Processing center.

For folks that bought an DCA only ticket, they need to pay the difference in price at the Main Entry Plaza to gain admission to DIsneyland, where they will get their photo taken, and then be handed their AP.

kbanmen
11-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Renewal's are a differfent story, as are folks that bought a one-day ticket to DCA...

Renewals can be processed at either the Main Entry Plaza (if you go to Guest Relations, they will print your AP right there (with your old photo, since they don't have camera's). If someone shows up right after the AP expired, you won't be allowed in the park without paying. But if your AP is about to expire, you could either renew at Guest Relations, or at the AP Processing center.

For folks that bought an DCA only ticket, they need to pay the difference in price at the Main Entry Plaza to gain admission to DIsneyland, where they will get their photo taken, and then be handed their AP.

Thanks..I guess renewals are different...

Darkbeer
11-16-2004, 05:10 PM
You might want to upgrade at the beginning of the trip anyways because you get lots of good discounts throughout the park with the annual premium pass.
I'm not sure about the deluxe pass though. Maybe someone else here does. :)
There is no issue with someone upgrading to a Premium, so the sooner you do it, the better (with the exception of the AAA packages that come with the "Enhanced FastPass" option).

The Deluxe AP has blockout days, and if you upgrade in the middle of your vacation, you might find out that you are blocked out for some of your trip, that is why most people recommend that you wait until your last day to upgrade.

The Deluxe AP gets just food discounts, no merchandise discounts...Here is a list...

http://www.mousesavers.com/dlmeals.html#annual

Don't forget, you have options, the Premium at $329, with free parking, the Deluxe at $209, or if you want parking, you can get a Deluxe with Parking for $258.

By the way, if you are an AAA member, make sure and show your card...

http://www.mousesavers.com/dltickets.html#annual

From 11/1/04-1/3/05, AAA members get 10 FREE Disney Dollars when they purchase an Annual Passport at the main entrance ticket booths. Show your AAA membership card when making the purchase.

Applies only to the purchase of a new Annual Passport and not to renewals. Not valid with any other offers, promotions or discounts. Disney Dollars may not be applied toward passport price.

Mommy2NicknMax
11-16-2004, 05:35 PM
Thanks again and for posting the link to the discounts. I think the Deluxe suits my needs. I've checked the blockout dates for the summer and it seems they are only on Saturdays during the time we go. We go Mon - Fri so that will be okay. During the week in December that I go, there are no blockout dates listed.

kbanmen
11-16-2004, 05:37 PM
Thanks again and for posting the link to the discounts. I think the Deluxe suits my needs. I've checked the blockout dates for the summer and it seems they are only on Saturdays during the time we go. We go Mon - Fri so that will be okay. During the week in December that I go, there are no blockout dates listed.

I think the deluxe is a good one..premimun is soooo expensive..good choice

Mommy2NicknMax
11-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Yeah I was all set to get the Premium until the price went up. Of course the Park Hoppers for 2005 went up as well. So I settled on the Deluxe.

Earkid
11-16-2004, 05:44 PM
I have a premium AP and DH has a Deluxe. WE never go on the weekends or during busy times so that is why DH has a Deluxe. I got the premium for the parking pass and the discounts. This arrangement has worked great for us.

Earkid
11-16-2004, 05:45 PM
Mommy2,

We will be at DL at the same time!!

kbanmen
11-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Mommy2,

We will be at DL at the same time!!

earkid and mommy 2 where are you guys from

Earkid
11-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi kmatsumura,

I am from Phoenix. DH and I visit DL about 4-5 times a year, usually 4-5 days at a time. No kids, unless we kidnap nieces and nephews. But we have a great time just the two of us!!

Mommy2NicknMax
11-17-2004, 06:07 AM
earkid and mommy 2 where are you guys from

I'm from WA. We go as a family (hubby, me and our two kids) in the summer (August). I go alone in December for a little "me" time while my husband watches the boys.
:)

Earkid
11-29-2004, 05:03 PM
Bumping this thread for Surfingstitch..

Surfingstitch
11-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the bump.

Love the great info

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-30-2004, 10:04 PM
I thought the expiration date was the day you upgraded the pass, not the first use of your Hopper. I could be wrong. It might be woth it to ask when you are there.

We did this in May. On the 23rd, but it was dated back to the 18th because that was the first day of our park hopper use.

Be careful if you leave the park and it happens to be a black out date on your pass. We did it on Saturday, which happened to be a black out date on our deluxe AP, and then tried to get back in to CA and had a bit of a time trying to get the CM to understand we were just in the park.