PDA

View Full Version : Why haven't they been sued?

Ghoulish Delight
12-03-2001, 09:20 AM
I love all of the businesses around Disneyland that shamelessly play off the Disney name/logo. I get the feeling that the only reason they don't get sued is that Disney knows that if Anaheim is happy, they are happy.

My favorite one of these is a pest control place that can be seen from the 5N on the right side before Harbor. The sign is relatively simple, "So and So's Pest Control" But on the left of the sign is a logo that seems to be some sort of slogan (haven't read it) with the words formatted into sort of a shield shape (actually, nowt that I think about it it might be a mouse head, but I'm not sure). But the shield has ears. Black circular ears. Gotta love it. The whole mouse/pest tie in. Genious!

Anyone know of any more good ones?

tabacco
12-03-2001, 09:55 AM
Just putting black round ears on something doesn't make it trademark infringement.

Nigel2
12-03-2001, 09:55 AM
Oh I know what you are talking about, I think the word simple is in their name, but they are in many locations so it really itsn't a parody of disneyland. I love the vw beatles they use, little black ears on top, so funny. Then again that might be a rip on the pikachu car.

Bill Catherall
12-03-2001, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by tabacco
Just putting black round ears on something doesn't make it trademark infringement.
Actually it might be. A while back I tried to talk the MousePad moderators and admins into putting mouse ears on the smilies. I made up a sample set to show them what they'd look like. Then after mention that there might be some copyright or trademark issues with the ears I decided to look it up. Sure enough I found a document that specifically mentioned the use of the characters and Mickey ears and hands. So technically, there is some kind of legal issue with the ears.

MonorailMan
12-03-2001, 12:47 PM
Now, what if they were solid back with one gray spot, then it wouldn't be Copyright infrigmant right?

Nigel2
12-03-2001, 01:59 PM
I got the name of that company (the one with the beatle's ala mouse) Truly, just saw one today. I think it has more to do with the intent of the design, like mouse eared items here would risk it since we are an unofficial (and unauthorized) disney themed site. or not.:D

Gemini Cricket
12-03-2001, 03:49 PM
I seem to remember seeing a motel on Harbor somewhere with the name: Diz-Nee Motel. I wonder if it's still there...

Gemini Cricket
12-03-2001, 03:51 PM
Here's a cool Yesterland page re: ...Lands around Disneyland.

http://www.yesterland.com/otherlands.html

MickeyD
12-03-2001, 07:09 PM
Truly is a pest control place that is located all over So. Cal. They exterminate mice, hence the ears. I don't think they are ripping off Disney. And I agree that their cars are really cool.

marron-cream
12-04-2001, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
I love the vw beatles they use, little black ears on top, so funny. Then again that might be a rip on the pikachu car.

But they were around long before Pokemon/Pikachu. I remember seeing them (or something similar) when I was a kid. They have trucks with mouse ears too.

FantasmicFan82
12-04-2001, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Now, what if they were solid back with one gray spot, then it wouldn't be Copyright infrigmant right?
wouldn't it be the same if they were YELLOW!:) :( :mad:

Morrigoon
12-05-2001, 04:34 PM
In Texas there was a "Truly Nolen" mouse car parked near a freeway offramp. It had ears and a tail and everything. The ears were more tennis racket shaped than circle-shaped, so that's probably how they get away with it.