PDA

View Full Version : HoJo's -- how far a walk?

Pages : [1] 2

Werner
11-15-2004, 07:29 PM
Am thinking about staying at the HoJo's after reading so many favorable reviews. Can anyone tell me how far the walk would be -- esp with a three-year-old? Also how does that shuttle work? Does it come pretty frequently? Thanks!

RemainSeatedPlease
11-15-2004, 07:54 PM
It's not to far, but when you are tierd it is, we stayed one hotel closer to the park than HoJo and me and my 17 year old friend were dead on our feet...it would have been nicer to stay a bit closer, so it's easier to take hotel breaks...but thats just my opinion.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-15-2004, 08:25 PM
They say it is 8 minutes. I would say they are about right. Of course that is on the way to the park, first thing in the morning. Dragging home, it is about 20! LOL It was never a problem for us walking.

Christiii
11-15-2004, 09:03 PM
its about 100 steps..I counted once!! It is about 10 minutes walk, and the shuttle is the LAST drop off, so thats about 20 minutes. Its just about the same distance as walking from DL to the DL hotel, thru downtown disney...not as pretty, but the same distance..its really not bad at all!!

Werner
11-15-2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the feedback! :)

tinklover25
11-16-2004, 09:00 AM
i hate to walk! but this was not too bad at all. I loved Mimi's Restaurant next door also!

stan4d_steph
11-16-2004, 09:03 AM
Here's an aerial photo (http://www.beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html) with the hotels marked to give you an idea of where it is.

the mad hatter
11-16-2004, 09:07 AM
IMO it's too far. go with the tropicanna.

Wendi
11-16-2004, 10:32 AM
I thought it would be too long, but it's really not at all bad. I have a just turned 3 year old and we did the walk a few times - with a stroller. I don't know if I would've felt the same if he were walking or if I were carrying him though!

Buttercup
11-16-2004, 03:24 PM
The walk isn't bad at all, 8 - 10 minutes at most. IMO HoJo is the best hotel within walking distance.

kbanmen
11-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Am thinking about staying at the HoJo's after reading so many favorable reviews. Can anyone tell me how far the walk would be -- esp with a three-year-old? Also how does that shuttle work? Does it come pretty frequently? Thanks!

I would say about a 10 minute walk, it really isnt that bad..but with a 3 year old it would take longer (unless you have a stroller)

Hakuna Makarla
11-16-2004, 04:30 PM
OMG ! I walked to the carousel and thought I would pass out LOL! I was dumb founded to know that once I crossed the street I had to walk a ways into the park! Hey, I guess I am so used to driving the walk did me in at the end of the day and we stayed at the carousel! Right across the street! So the Howard johnson looked to be a way long ways off and no way was I walking that! So if you like to walk stay there, if you are like me and drag your butt to your room then stay way closer! just my opinion :D

CoasterChickie
11-16-2004, 04:58 PM
Ooooh, that aerial photo is great!! Thanks for posting that!!

Don't feel bad Karla...I walked all the way to the Marriott Hotel after I forgot to get my shuttle ticket from Javanod before he left. It wasn't too bad, only took me about 15 or 20 minutes. (I walk fast when I'm alone!)

The HoJo's looks like it's only about half that distance. I wonder if they have a shuttle? Most of the hotels around there do.

CarlieB
11-16-2004, 05:33 PM
They don't have a shuttle anymore, but they are on one of the ART routes.

munchkinsmom0003
11-16-2004, 08:28 PM
They don't have a shuttle anymore, but they are on one of the ART routes.

It's ART Bus "B" that takes you to the HOJO...at least it was the last time we were there (a couple of weeks ago). Easy to use if you don't feel like walking. Just wait where all the shuttles pickup/dropoff passengers under the "B" sign and the ART will take you right to the entrance. You can buy all day passes at the HOJO front desk. If, at the end of the day, you wanted to take the ART and didn't buy a pass, you can give the driver exact change for a ride back. I had to do that once with my four-year old DD since we didn't have the stroller with us at the time and she was tired of walking. I only had to pay for my fare; my DD was free.

Darkbeer
11-16-2004, 09:40 PM
There is also a ART Ticket machine at the DLR, takes cash and credit cards...

Just find the security checkpoint fence, and go north towards Disneyland, at the end, just walk along the back side of the Costume Building and find the Red machine.

stinkerbell
11-16-2004, 11:02 PM
We stayed there a year and a half ago and we're staying there again in December. I thought the walk was reasonable and we had no need for the shuttle. By the time you get to the shuttle area, you've walked 2/3 of the way, anyway! ;)

Our kids were 8, 5, and 2 at the time. The two year old was in a stroller. She'll be four when we go in December, and we're still planning on a stroller for her, as it'll just make the experience a little easier on all of us. ;)

I loved HoJo's, by the way! We've stayed at a lot of the hotels across from the gate, and HoJo's is my favorite, even if it's a little further. Be sure to ask for a room away from the stairwell, and you'll get a larger room, or so I've read. I've been in several of the rooms in three of the buildings--we've had family and friends stay at the same time as us, and their rooms were as large as ours, but I've read other trip reports that have mentioned smaller rooms. It was quiet, clean, roomy, and the grounds were great. The staff was wonderful--we stayed 8 nights--and they made our stay special.

sancho
11-18-2004, 09:21 AM
i would like to throw my two cents in here. there are several things along the way that could break up your walk...mcdonalds, millies, a little convenience store i forget the name of. i think that the walk is absolutely doable if you are not dead tired at the end of the day or don't have issues with walking less than a mile. do it! it's absolutely worth it.

Pirate Bill
11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Here's my $.02 as well..
We stay there lots. I absolutely agree that it's the best hotel of all the maingate properties. Mimi's is on your way out (which I'll add is the best kept secret of all the restaurants on the immediate area. Million times better than any free continental breakfast or IHOP (God awful, don't get me started). Very affordable as well). And, considering the highly underestimated amount of walking you'll be doing while at DLR for a day, the few extra steps up Harbor Blvd are quite trivial.

Also, I've found the rooms with 2 queens are a bit larger than the king rooms. And, all the king rooms face the I-5 which is crazy loud when all you want is sleep. Two reasons why we'll always request queen rooms when staying there.

TikiGeek
11-18-2004, 12:22 PM
Mimi's is on your way out (which I'll add is the best kept secret of all the restaurants on the immediate area. Million times better than any free continental breakfast or IHOP (God awful, don't get me started). Very affordable as well).
SHUSH!!! It IS a secret ;) One of the things I like most about it is that's it's not too crowded. :cool:

jrsharp21
11-18-2004, 12:43 PM
I shall be making this walk from HoJo to the park tomorrow!!! :fez:

kbanmen
11-18-2004, 12:44 PM
I shall be making this walk from HoJo to the park tomorrow!!! :fez:

you will do just fine..it isnt too far..

jrsharp21
11-18-2004, 12:50 PM
you will do just fine..it isnt too far..

It's not too far. We have stayed there before. We will probably be running it since we will excited to get to the park.

jenmclions
11-18-2004, 01:08 PM
Your all making me sooooo excited! I'm beside myself with excitment that we are going to DL again and now hearing more good reviews about HoJo's. We're staying there next September and I can't wait.........only 41 weeks until we leave Australia :eek:

We did a lot of research on our hotels for our trip and found that we couldn't go past the Howard Johnson during our time at Disneyland. We've know about the short walk from the hotel (as most reviews mention it) but it doesn't bother us; last time we stayed in Anaheim we were so far away from everything it was ridiculous! HoJo's have been extremely helpful with our booking.

Disney_Nut
11-19-2004, 03:25 PM
Also, I've found the rooms with 2 queens are a bit larger than the king rooms. And, all the king rooms face the I-5 which is crazy loud when all you want is sleep. Two reasons why we'll always request queen rooms when staying there.

I always get a king room in building 2, but I ask that it face the pool instead of 1-5, and I NEVER have noise problems. It's so quiet that I wouldn't even know the freeway was there.