PDA

View Full Version : Candlelight Procession Crowd Expectancy (Dec. 4)?

GrowupDisney
11-15-2004, 07:34 AM
I've read all the old threads about the Candlelight Processional to try to glean what information I could about what to expect that day (Saturday, December 4) as far as crowds go. But I couldn't really find a diffinitive answer. I have no interest in seeing the Candlelight thing and it's just a coincidence that it's the same weekend we've planned to go to DL. We actually planned to go December 4th because every piece of advice, every guide book I've read says the weeks in December before Christmas are the least busiest time - and now December 4th is the only weekend we can go. Anyhow, anyone know what kinds of crowds we can expect that day? Thanks in advance. :)

MammaSilva
11-15-2004, 07:52 AM
I have to say that my personal experience on a Candlelight weekend was that it was equal to a mid summer weekend....very crowded but the up side was that more of the food locations stayed open a bit later. The year we went the processional went down Main Street to the Fantsyland theater, this year it's my understanding that it will be held on Main Street by the train Station again which means it will be gridlocked during the performance.

Disneygirl65
11-15-2004, 08:07 AM
I went last year for the candlelight performance. Day time the crowds were well, crowded, but manageable. We left the park around 4pm to get changed into nicer clothes for dinner, then ate dinner, then came back for the procession around 7:30pm. There was long lines to get in to the park, but we got in pretty quickly. Took our seats in the front row, and enjoyed the show. After we walked around a bit on main street and went back to the Disneyland Hotel. It was great.
On the other hand, my daughters friends parents were there with their children (her friends) that same weekend. They did not to have anything to do with the candlelight procession as it is not their thing. All I know is that they said they would never go that weekend again. I guess they thought it was too busy and had a really hard time leaving the park that night.
So, two different parties, two different experiences. As everyone says here, go with a good attitude, stay away from main street and have a great time. After all, that is the only weekend you can go correct? I'll be there, but I'm going for the candlelight procession.

tlovesdis
11-15-2004, 08:54 AM
I was there in 2002 during the CP weekend, and I didn't think it was all that busy. But then I have been to DL on July 4th when it is packed, so...

I also have no interest in seeing the CP. We planned out upcoming trip December 4-8 becasue it is the only time we can all go. Our plan is to take advantage of all the biggies while the CP is going on (HM, POTC, IASM, etc...). We will of course avoid Main Street during the show times.

Sunday we are spending the day at DCA which will probably be empty, then we have Mon-Wed for Disneyland when it shouldn't be crowded at all!

Disneygirl65
11-15-2004, 09:07 AM
^We are also going the weekdays before CP and I think it will be pretty slow like last year. You said you went during the CP in 2002, I don't think it was held on Main St, so that is probably why you didn't feel the crowds. It sounds like you have a good plan though. :)

GrowupDisney
11-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Does anyone know yet at what times the CP shows are planned to be held?

GrowupDisney
11-15-2004, 09:37 AM
So I guess the consensous is it won't be overcrowded, but to expect summer-like crowds? Maybe it's best I just pray for rain that day ... :p

MickeyandMe
11-15-2004, 01:44 PM
The shows are at 5:30 and 8:00.

Mermaid
11-16-2004, 05:07 PM
I am also going that weekend and was hoping for lighter crowds. my plans are to go to DL in the AM and DCA at night. After DCA closes, we may brave DL for a little bit, but the 4th is the last day of our trip and expect to be tired! Does anyone have any experience with the days before the CP? Will Thursday and Friday be busy or really just Saturday?

Mommy2NicknMax
11-16-2004, 05:40 PM
I went last year from Thursday - Sunday. All day Thursday and the early part of Friday the crowds were very light. By Friday evening it started to get more crowded. Saturday was like a weekend summer crowd and Sunday as well.

By the way, if you are in DCA and want to go into DL, try taking the monorail from DTD. I did that last year during Candlelight. Main Street is a MESS, the monorail just zips you right in and out.

Have fun!