PDA

View Full Version : One tradition for me is about to end... [Fantasy Waters]

Pages : [1] 2

olegc
11-15-2004, 07:19 AM
I know the show is old and some say cheezy but I always enjoyed taking my family to the Disneyland Hotel to see the Holiday Fantasy Waters show, take some pictures around the cutouts, and (in the past) see Goofy light the Christmas tree. Now, according to a big rumor, the light show is about to go. This was one of the few things that were relatively free to do for a local and let us spend some good times as a family during the busy holiday time.

Oh well, another small touch of nostalgia goes away (allegedly).. :crying:

sami869
11-15-2004, 10:38 AM
We've never been able to afford a stay at the Diseny Hotle. We're saving up so that we can stay there on our next trip. That light show was one of the many things we were looking forward to checking out while we were there. I ralize it probably wasn't the most amazign thing in the entire world but I'm sort of sad I never got ot see it. Although I have to admit a mini golf corse (if done right) would be a nice addition.

rentayenta
11-15-2004, 10:49 AM
What is the light show?

ZenMickey
11-15-2004, 11:17 AM
The ""Water Fantasy" show is held nightly at the rear of the Disneyland Hotel complex. I finally saw it for the first time this last holiday season and really enjoyed it. There are very few of these dancing waters/light/music shows left in this country anymore.

If I may ask, olegc- where did you here this rumor of the removal of this show? It has survived many incarnations of the DH, and I, for one, would be very sad if it is removed.

olegc
11-15-2004, 11:20 AM
The ""Water Fantasy" show is held nightly at the rear of the Disneyland Hotel complex. I finally saw it for the first time this last holiday season and really enjoyed it. There are very few of these dancing waters/light/music shows left in this country anymore.

If I may ask, olegc- where did you here this rumor of the removal of this show? It has survived many incarnations of the DH, and I, for one, would be very sad if it is removed.

stated as a rumor in today's Mouseplanet update. There are no confirmaitons yet but....

rentayenta
11-15-2004, 11:24 AM
Bummer. I was looking forward to my kids seeing this as it is the first time we will be staying at the DLH. Oh well, maybe they won't stop it before the new year.

AVP
11-15-2004, 11:52 AM
stated as a rumor in today's Mouseplanet update. There are no confirmaitons yet but....Remember, we admitted that it's a completely unsubstantiated rumor. We just thought it was interesting enough to mention in, since the show is closed now, and a refurbishment of that whole area was said to be in the works once the towers were all remodeled.

AVP

Jewels
11-15-2004, 12:01 PM
I for one really hope this rumor stays a rumor. I know the Bonita Tower gets over looked a lot but I love it. We always ask to be placed there. There's something so calming about coming back from a day in the park and walking through the waterfall area and watching the koi swim around. The fantasy water show was a hugh hit in my family. I think my niece had to see every showing when we were there for a week last year. I will be very sad to see all of these things go.

Zigen
11-15-2004, 01:01 PM
In the Disneyland website, it shows

"Experience the Disneyland® Hotel Holiday Fantasy Waters show, a dazzling display of water acrobatics, synchronized to your favorite holiday music"

I find it odd they would put that in their web site then remove the water show...

AVP
11-15-2004, 01:03 PM
I find it odd they would put that in their web site then remove the water show...Especially since the theater is currently closed for "refurbishment." Were there dates listed? I was there on Friday, and I can assure you that the theater was closed.

AVP

ppmuse
11-15-2004, 01:10 PM
While I never got to fully enjoy the water show, I will miss the waterfall. At night, it's probably one of the most romantic places in the whole resort. It will be missed.

Zigen
11-15-2004, 01:11 PM
No dates listed, but it's on top of the "Disneyland Resort Hotels"...

Heres the link.

http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/special/christmasHoliday/detail?name=SPChristmasHolidayPage

danyoung
11-15-2004, 01:41 PM
I was devestated to hear this rumor today. That entire end of the hotel, with the waterfalls (especially the wet walkway down into the hidden room behind the falls), koi ponds and Fantasy Waters show is one of the best areas in the hotel. And the FW show is one of the last places where you can get your fill of the great Jack Wagner's voice. I understand the need to move on, but I'd sure hate to see the magical area get bulldozed.

mousey_girl
11-15-2004, 02:18 PM
I am not sorry to see it go. When we were there last year, our room overlooked it and we could clrealy watch from our "balcony". It was cheesy and loud. I would have liked it better if 25% (not exagerating) of the lights were not burnt out.

Disney Vault
11-15-2004, 02:29 PM
I have never seen it either and was planning on it during my next trip. I wouldnt mind if they got rid of it and built a bigger better one like the fountain in epcot. I saw a drawing of the plans of DCA and it originally had a big fountain planned for between DCA and DL. To bad they didnt follow through with it.

danyoung
11-16-2004, 05:01 AM
If I saw Fantasy Waters for the first time today, I'd probably be disappointed too. There's really not that much to it from a modern point of view. But this is one of those areas where I have so many fond memories of seeing this show as a kid, of looking up and seeing the people watching it from their balconies and me dreaming of someday staying there (finally made it a few times!), that I'd hate to see the source of all those memories be replaced. Again, I'm not surprised that they may be doing this, but for strictly selfish reasons I wish they wouldn't.

MouseWife
11-16-2004, 08:47 AM
Psst.....

You don't have to stay at the resort to wander around the grounds. There are places to eat, shop, walk. You can't use the guest facilities but that's cool if you just want to see those things.

Worth a walk over.

olegc
11-16-2004, 10:21 AM
The waterfall area is the only other place at the resort to experience "the backside of water" besides Jungle Cruise. My kids love doing that!

ZenMickey
11-30-2004, 06:26 AM
I just wanted everyone interested in the Fantasy Waters show to know about this blurb included in the 11/29 MP DL Park Update:

"In a previous update, we related a rumor about the demise of the Fantasy Waters show, and possible plans for the theater area. We have since been able to confirm that the Fantasy Waters show has been “discontinued,” and the holiday version still listed on the Disneyland Web site is not being presented this year. "

Personally, I am disappointed and yet glad that I made a special trip just last year to see the holiday version, and to take pictures. I've always felt that that area (waterfalls, koi pond) of the DLH complex was one of the few "retreats" from the hustle of the parks.

danyoung
11-30-2004, 01:39 PM
I totally agree with you, ZenMickey, and if they yank this area out, I'll be sorely depressed.

sambo
11-30-2004, 09:56 PM
Replacing the "Waters" with mini-golf!!??!!

:eek: I thought Pressler was gone! :eek:

:crying: not all change is for the better...

GoldenEars
12-01-2004, 09:18 AM
I remember seeing the Fantasy Water show back in the early 80's, however, back then it was called the Dancing Waters. And it didn't play Disney tunes, but pop/inspirational music instead. And, it actually had 2 live men controlling all the lights and *dancing waters!* Those were the good 'ol days, as far as I'm concerned.

As I grew older and Disney changed the layout/name/music to this show, I began to lose interest. I always felt they needed to update the show and get with the modern technology. But it never happened and so the show always had that 70's/80's feel. It was still nice to see it every now and then, for old time sake. But unless they updated it, why bother keeping it?

I, for one, would love to see Disney put in a miniature golf area! Just think of the fun and creative ways they could make it...and ALL Disney style too! The one thing I'm not happy about is the distruction of the water falls, cuz that was always so unique to me, and romantic too (loud, but romantic).

It'll be interesting to see what they actually plan on doing with all that space. And being that the 50th anniversary is coming soon, I bet they'll have it done within the next year...we'll have to wait and see.

Patrick :)

olegc
12-01-2004, 11:35 AM
I seem to recall that the report of what allegedly would go in there was mini-golf, not miniature golf. To me, a once in a while hack, that Mini-golf usually means a smaller version of regular golf. You use a putter, and there are small sand traps, obstructions, and a "green" - but no windmills, tunnels, or legs of a cowboy to hit thru. I am sure that DLR would not keep this are so bland that it had not decorations at all - but don't assume you'd get a CastleGolf style of place in that spot. Besides - can you see the maintenance nightmare with so many people playing?

On the other hand, if they chucked some parking somewhere or other facility areas and made a larger zone then it may be able to support a moderate Miniature Golf setup. I just don't think they'd make something SO fancy that it would actually take you away from the parks. Although, it has been said in other threads that CM Matt is kind of trying to make WDW right here in Anaheim, even though the tourist-to-local mix is quite different.

danyoung
12-01-2004, 05:41 PM
I don't quite understand this comment about making DL into WDW. If Matt can up the quality of the parks and the property as a whole (something that's been sorely needed for 7 or 8 years!), I can't begin to see any problem with that. If you mean he's trying to make DL more of a complete resort, then again that's a good thing, isn't it?

Disney Vault
12-01-2004, 06:16 PM
I don't quite understand this comment about making DL into WDW. If Matt can up the quality of the parks and the property as a whole (something that's been sorely needed for 7 or 8 years!), I can't begin to see any problem with that. If you mean he's trying to make DL more of a complete resort, then again that's a good thing, isn't it?
Thats the way I see it.