PDA

View Full Version : Cut-back in Hires & ADO's being denied?

snappy
11-14-2004, 05:48 PM
Reading the article from Miceage it sounds like Disneyland is cutting back on the number of hours being offered. Being a CT in ODV does this mean I won't have to report to work during the holidays? Anyone working at Disneyland know the current situation? THanks... The article also said those who have been with the company less than 9-8 years would be expected to work over the holidays. Ouch..

paulca
11-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Where on miceage did you read about the cutbacks at Disneyland?

Niwel
11-14-2004, 06:15 PM
Snappy ... have there been any grumblings at work? Someone must know what is going on. Keep your ears open in the locker room and the break room. If all else fails, ask your scheduler ... worse that happens is they say "we don't know yet."

snappy
11-14-2004, 06:15 PM
From the article names Holi-Dazed. It's on the second page I believe where they talk about the hours being cut and regular cast members not given time off.

bluepearl
11-15-2004, 08:07 AM
snappy: I think that Scheduling should have sent you a postcard asking if you'd be available for the holiday season. Isn't it a rule that CTs have to be available during the summer and 1-2 peak seasons? If you said you're available, you should be getting scheduled. And if anything, I think that they'll pull more CTs in both an effort to use already available staff and give higher seniority CMs the day off/shift preference.

DCAWhites
11-15-2004, 10:04 AM
I guess i'm one of the lucky few who got thanksgiving off. I've only been working for the park 1 year, but I still put in an rdo just with the slight chance of getting, and also to choose a prefered time if unable to grant, like AM or late night. However, they don't seem to be cutting back our hours for the season, as people who chose to get 6 days each week if needed ended up getting 6 days for thanskgiving week. I looked over our schedules and yes, a lot of higher up cast members *will* work thanksgiving for double time. We seem to be getting a lot more new hires than last year also, but more people are quiting now than this time a year ago.

sediment
11-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Seems like a smart idea: fewer costumes for fewer employees, for starters. More CMs who know what they're doing on the busiest days of the year, instead of fill-ins with less training.

DCAWhites
11-15-2004, 03:00 PM
I have a hunch in my mind that ouimet will cut down on the number of CTs, bringing them up to CR status and stopping hiring at that level. CT hiring is especially rampant in ODV and merchandise, and seems like a cost cutting method since CTs get no benefits and worse pay with no raises (which is saying a lot cause disney does do well with raises compared to other jobs at that pay rate), and I don't see how someone who doesn't work at all 3/4 of the weeks in a year can have the same job knowledge as someone who works 4 days a week. Having a good number of CRs year round means they will be able to work as little as they please during the slower seasons (as in 2 four hour shifts per week), which will be nice because school won't be affected and soforth. Only 2 groups of new hires this past season in my work location were hired CT, and were given the option to go to CR less than a month later.

kbanmen
11-15-2004, 04:06 PM
Reading the article from Miceage it sounds like Disneyland is cutting back on the number of hours being offered. Being a CT in ODV does this mean I won't have to report to work during the holidays? Anyone working at Disneyland know the current situation? THanks... The article also said those who have been with the company less than 9-8 years would be expected to work over the holidays. Ouch..

Guess I am sort of lucky...I have worked at California adventure for 2 months now, and just happened to get off Thanksgiving..In heard through the grapevine that people who have been with the company for over 20 years are being denied holiday time off..Lately my normal days off have been th=ursday/friday..so i guess maybe this is why I have thanksgiving off..who knows I guess

Ohana33
11-15-2004, 06:54 PM
Yea I've been at disney for over 2 years, but i've only been cr for 3 months, so it's no surprise that i'm working thanksgiving. actually in my department, a lot of people got scheduled 50+ hour week! my best friend who put in for an ADO has been with disney for over 5 years (he actually opened DCA) and they denied his ADO. same with another buddy of mine so i guess it depends on your department. of course, attractions gets pooped on :crying: and yea for the CT thing, i always had to work winter when i was CT, even when it was slow... if you don't work winter, they term you. but they are more leaniant with thanksgiving and spring break- i never worked either of them!

DCAWhites
11-15-2004, 07:17 PM
^^Damn, you've been working for disney for 2 months, from the sound of it you seem to have b status (two regular days off, even during holidays), and you get thanksgiving off without asking? Do you work 3rd shift or entertainment or something? Or just normal like attractions or foods, etc. I did actually get thanksgiving off last year even though I had only 2 weeks seniority. They gave us tiny 2 week schedules on our last day of training and thanksgiving was blank. I ended up picking up a late night shift though.

kbanmen
11-15-2004, 07:31 PM
^^Damn, you've been working for disney for 2 months, from the sound of it you seem to have b status (two regular days off, even during holidays), and you get thanksgiving off without asking? Do you work 3rd shift or entertainment or something? Or just normal like attractions or foods, etc. I did actually get thanksgiving off last year even though I had only 2 weeks seniority. They gave us tiny 2 week schedules on our last day of training and thanksgiving was blank. I ended up picking up a late night shift though.

I am 3rd shift custodian ..by the way,.,.does that make a differnece at akll

kbanmen
11-15-2004, 07:35 PM
\
whaat is a ODV..i am a new hire

Andrew
11-15-2004, 07:49 PM
ODV = OutDoor Vending, i.e. the food, drink, and merch carts.

PhilMP
11-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Hmmm...in 4 years, I've only know maybe 20 Outdoor Vending CTs...other than the new hires that hire in during peak season and Casting makes CTs so we don't have to pay higher wages and benefits for another three months.

And...as a whole, hiring is waaay down. I went to Casting today...my escape was short-lived, and got a job, really surprising considering the circumstances...and ODV wasn't even hiring. Which is really unusual since the department usually has a large influx of new CMs just before a peak season. All that seemed to be open was a large block of RT&P slots and a few Attractions slots which opened up that morning.

Phil