PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Christmas tree: Fake or Real?

Pages : [1] 2

DLRCM
11-14-2004, 12:16 PM
I've been wondering this for a while now. Does anyone know if the Disneyland Christmas tree is fake? It looks fake, almost plastic. But it smells real. People tell me that its because they coat it in some kind of preservative to keep it fresh for so long. Anyone know?

Wendi
11-14-2004, 12:19 PM
It's actually real! 60 feet tall, but it looks taller because of forced perspective - they use the same style of ornaments throughout the entire tree but they get smaller as they go up. It is coated with something... looks plasticy and glossy.

Andrew
11-14-2004, 12:28 PM
I haven't seen this year's tree yet. In the past, they've used real trees and inserted fake branches to fill in bare spots.

SJSman
11-14-2004, 03:20 PM
How and when do they set the tree up? I really seems as though all of the holiday decorations go up over night. How do they do this??

HorizonsA
11-14-2004, 03:25 PM
I was wondering the same thing. How do they get all those Christmas decorations all up in one night? It's really amazing. They do this for New Years also. You know how they always have asignthat flashes the new year on top of the Matterhorn and how they have countdown clocks on the castle, the Small World area, and the New Orleans Square area, well, I was there Dec 31 1999. When we woke up the next morning, the sign from the top of the Matterhorn had already disappeared, the clocks had come down and it looked as if it was a normal Disneyland business day. I was amazed when I walked into Disneyland that morning.

paulca
11-14-2004, 03:40 PM
They set up the tree on the night of oct 31st at about 12:30 a.m. i know because I was there before going to work on the DCA side. The tree is fully decorated with lights and ornaments and they bring it by crane down main street and set it in the hole there on town square. All the other decorations are put up that night. The tree while it is being decorated is sitting behind the splash mountain area.

Wendi
11-14-2004, 03:42 PM
They fully decorate the tree in the backstage area and then bring it up to the front overnight. I was there October 31 - November 5. The day after Halloween it was up!!! Just amazing...

Disney Vault
11-14-2004, 03:42 PM
Its Disney Magic :D Mickey Mouse does it with his apprentice hat.

kbanmen
11-14-2004, 04:32 PM
I've been wondering this for a while now. Does anyone know if the Disneyland Christmas tree is fake? It looks fake, almost plastic. But it smells real. People tell me that its because they coat it in some kind of preservative to keep it fresh for so long. Anyone know?

The tree is real. I work at california adventure and had the opportunity to be there when the tree was brought into disneyland and decorated. It looks spectacular

Hakuna Makarla
11-14-2004, 04:57 PM
how do they keep it from losing all the needles in that warm weather? here our trees fall apart after about 3 weeks and there's needles all over the place. I use a fake one just for this reason ( am I am highly alergic to real tree's )does this stuff they coat the tree's with keep the needles on?

VickiC
11-14-2004, 08:27 PM
I don't know, but Fashion Island has an even bigger real tree (115 feet) and it's up all ready too. I bet they use some special solution to keep it fresh.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-14-2004, 08:56 PM
They didn't have ALL the decorations up on our first day of our 6 days in the park, November 2nd. They did have most up, but by the 5th, when iasw opened, everything was decorated then! It was awesome! The tree is simply beautiful!

evrythngwmn
11-15-2004, 12:53 AM
A lot of the lights go up well in advance. I work nights and I see the work going on. They're just not turned on until the holiday season officially starts.

sami869
11-15-2004, 10:42 AM
How and when do they set the tree up? I really seems as though all of the holiday decorations go up over night. How do they do this??

A lot of the decorations of up the same night as the tree. Within the next few days after that it's all up. It's really amazing to be there one day w/no xmas decorations and then show up the next day to that big of a surprise. Those poor workers must work all night long.

mousekamazed
11-15-2004, 12:04 PM
We were there Nov 2 - 6. The double decker bus driver said that the 65 foot tree is real and comes from a Disney owned Christmas tree farm. I don't know how they keep it fresh looking for so long... maybe some kind of enchanting spell.

ChipmunkStar
11-15-2004, 02:44 PM
I believe they spray it with something to keep it from losing needles and looking nice and green.

By the way, YAY! Green tree! Not a stinkin' white junk covered one. Hurrah!

Flint
11-15-2004, 02:45 PM
It's real... I can only get withing a few feet of it before my allergies kick in :-p

RemainSeatedPlease
11-15-2004, 04:12 PM
It smells nice too!

Opus1guy
11-15-2004, 04:54 PM
It's Feal! ;)

In the past, they've used real trees and inserted fake branches to fill in bare spots.

I used to watch backstage at Magic Kingdom in Florida, as they would lay down 2 huge trees and strip the first one of unsightly branches and then use branches from second one to "plug" any gaps in tree #1 to create the perfect on-stage Holiday Tree. Took 'em several days of work to "build" the better tree.

Always assumed they did the same thing at Disneyland...perhaps off-site and then just bring the final grafted tree into the park? But I suppose they may be using fake branches these days to plug it up.

rentayenta
11-15-2004, 04:58 PM
or it's Rake ;)

kbanmen
11-15-2004, 05:07 PM
or it's Rake ;)

its sooooooo real

DonaldDuck14
11-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Ok here's the real scoop....They do assemble it backstage behind splash mountain. They actually have it on it's side. Sorry to break this to you but some branches are fake...that's right...SOME. The tree itself is real, however Disney does nail in fake branches to make the tree full. Also they trim off some of the real branches to give it a perfect shape(don't want it all ghetto and mishapen like the rockefeller tree in NY). Once all done, They do spray a pine smell over the tree...practically dousing it to help make the tree smell nice and fresh for about two months after being worked on by crews. So the tree is real, however there are some fake branches to make it full. As far as the needles falling off and such, I figure they have custodial patrol that area to clean up and such.

Opus1guy
11-16-2004, 12:18 AM
The WDW Magic Kingdom tree I mentioned above also got doused with pine smell, preservative (to keep the original and plugged branches from turning brown too soon), and fire retardant.

Not necessarily applied in that order.

disneyperson
11-16-2004, 04:47 PM
Last December, a few days before Christmas, my daughter and I were sitting by the giant tree at about 12:30 at night saying goodby to the park like we always do. A very cute, young CM (I think his job was to keep folk from climbing on Santa'S sleigh) anyway, he came up to my daughter and said "hold out your hands." He then presented her with some needles from the tree. They were real, but spray painted green. He told her that now she could have a piece of the official DL Christmas tree to take home. Awwwww. Then he flirted shamelessly with her for about another twenty minutes. Oh yes, she taped the needles together, tied a ribbon on them and hung them on our tree. once again, awwwww.

Earkid
11-16-2004, 04:57 PM
How cute is that!! Thanks for sharing disneyperson