PDA

View Full Version : Assistance pass question

junecleaver
11-13-2004, 06:54 PM
My family and I will be going on a trip to DL this spring. Two of the three of us have medical problems. My condition is sometimes visable but only on bad days usually after I overexert myself.
The assisatance pass- Is it something always visable (around my neck)?
Or do I pull the card out of my bag everytime I need it? Do I need to tell each CM (and everyone within earshot) or do I just flash the card? I have Osteoarthritis (I'm 30) for those of you whose curiosisty is getting the better of them. It affects my feet wrists spine and sometimes my knees.
I hate having to tell people all day what my problem is (I am in denial and don't want to be reminded) :) Then I usually get the pity look.
I know at guest services they will recomend I use a wheelchair, but I've been in one before and don't plan on it again until I can't take another step.

I know I am rambling but if anyone can help I would appreciate it

Forbin
11-14-2004, 01:20 AM
It's a ltitle card you have to show at EVERY ride. But so far you haven't really said anything that would get you a GAC.

junecleaver
11-14-2004, 08:19 AM
It's a ltitle card you have to show at EVERY ride. But so far you haven't really said anything that would get you a GAC.

thanks for your reply. I didn't go into detail about my condition and I don't plan to. I already know I qualify for a pass, if I don't need a cane that day. my condition is covered by the program and another person in our program is most definately handicapped. I am not privy to discuss her condition.

I recieved several private messages from people who are afraid to post because people have attacked them and their right to assistance. (not directed to you forbin:) ) Let me say I understand your anger towards fakers. I have seen them in many other situations. But to verbally bully or attack someone who is asking for help in a Disney forum is pathetic. I am a new MPer and hope that noone tries to do that with me. It wont turn me away from DL but I would be disappointed in your cruel intentions.

MammaSilva
11-14-2004, 08:52 AM
June I don't think any ill will was intended, but just so you are aware, there have been MAJOR changes in the program in the last 12 months. If you or your friend haven't been to the parks since last year then expect to be surprised at the new policy. Anything that is considered "endurance" issues will no longer receive a Guest Assistance Card. The list is very short on those conditions that now 'qualify' and I think that is more along the lines of what Forbin was trying to convey.

Keep in mind that those attraction queues that are not wheelchair accessible still use the 'old system' (meaning going to the exit gate with the handicapped sign on it) if you have a guest in your party that is using a wheelchair for mobility or endurance issues.

I hope you have a wonderful trip to the parks!

junecleaver
11-14-2004, 09:14 AM
[QUOTE=MammaSilva]June I don't think any ill will was intended, but just so you are aware, there have been MAJOR changes in the program in the last 12 months. If you or your friend haven't been to the parks since last year then expect to be surprised at the new policy. Anything that is considered "endurance" issues will no longer receive a Guest Assistance Card. The list is very short on those conditions that now 'qualify' and I think that is more along the lines of what Forbin was trying to convey.

Keep in mind that those attraction queues that are not wheelchair accessible still use the 'old system' (meaning going to the exit gate with the handicapped sign on it) if you have a guest in your party that is using a wheelchair for mobility or endurance issues.

I hope you have a wonderful trip to the parks![/QUOTE

That was in NO way directed towards forbin. It was more of a "please don't attack me for asking for help" I was warned that people do this and don't want to see a forum get ugly. I already contacted guest sevices (a week ago) and explained my situation. I know I qualify for the pass I just don't know if I want one. I know I will be sore for weeks if not months if considerations are not taken. Sometimes I don't know what would be worse. It sounds like pain might be easier to take. Thanks for your help and we will definately have fun.

adriennek
11-14-2004, 12:57 PM
I know I will be sore for weeks if not months if considerations are not taken. Sometimes I don't know what would be worse. It sounds like pain might be easier to take. Thanks for your help and we will definately have fun.

[mother tone] June, dear, please take care of yourself and don't let the freaks win. I don't want to "see" you in more pain than you need to be! Have a great time! [/mother tone]

:) Adrienne

junecleaver
11-14-2004, 04:59 PM
I think I almost got scared away. But thanks, you guys are dolls. I thought that at any moment I would be bombarded with negative feedback but I wasn't. There are definately more people with good intentions then bad. Maybe I will run into some of you one day. Until then take care

Darkbeer
11-14-2004, 07:38 PM
^ Also, there is NO requirement that if you are eligible for a Guest Asistance Pass, that you use it at every attraction. That was one of the reasons why the changes were made. Some folks who got the "SAP" decided to use it on every attraction, even though they maybe only needed to avoid stairs, or extended exposure to sunlight.

If you qualify for the assistance, use it when you need to, but there is no reason to "abuse" the privledge. Please don't kill yourself, but if you are going on an off-season weekday, maybe you can keep the card in your pocket for most of the trip.....

junecleaver
11-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Ahhhh
my question has been answered I can keep the card in my pocket. You see I was worried I had to keep it around my neck. I kind of pictured a bright yellow card that was tied to me so that I could easily be identified. Maybe a litlle light flashing over my head or something :).I like the james bond of a secret card much better. I hope I will be well enough that I wont need it at all but somehow I think my 2 year old might just push me a little farther than I should go. She just kisses me better and keeps dragging me.

adriennek
11-14-2004, 10:13 PM
Ahhhh
my question has been answered I can keep the card in my pocket.

Sorry about that! Totally missed that part! Yes, you can keep it in your pocket. It's small. If you wear a lanyard thing, you can keep it there, if you want to.

Personally, I love this little gem (http://www.mouseshoppe.com/product.cfm?ProductID=2574) that I purchased from MouseShoppe. I keep passes, a credit card, fast passes, etc in this. I believe the GAC will fit in there, too, but someone else will have to clarify. (You might have to fold it to get it to fit.) These boxes "lock" so they're very secure but the lock isn't hard to close like a zip-locked lanyard might be.

Adrienne

Pirate Girl
11-17-2004, 11:27 AM
The GACs are pretty big, I folded mine to put it in my pocket...they are almost postcard size now if I'm remembering right, because they have areas to stamp your accesses on there. Mine was for not climbing stairs so they marked that on the pass. All in all, its a better system, they just need a better system for deciding who gets one and who doesn't.

kaybee2
11-18-2004, 07:47 AM
I believe the GAC will fit in there, too, but someone else will have to clarify. (You might have to fold it to get it to fit.) These boxes "lock" so they're very secure but the lock isn't hard to close like a zip-locked lanyard might be.

Adrienne

Adrienne, you are right. The GAC is large, but we folded my son's and kept it in our lanyard pass holders, since we tend to loose most things we put in our pockets. :)

If you are using the GAC, you will need to show the whole card at each ride, and the cast member will check to see if the person named on the GAC is in the group.

And June, regarding having to explain yourself at every ride - you don't have to. City Hall, where the pass is issued, will NOT want to hear *what* your condition is. They want to hear how your visit to DL is affected by your condition, and what type of assistance you need in the park. They then put a stamp on the GAC that indicates the type of assistance needed by cast members.

Have fun!