PDA

View Full Version : Is CA Wide Load Compatable?

beaver state rich
11-12-2004, 11:47 AM
I have the frame of your typical Pac-10 lineman 6'2" 360 lbs. (play weight was 320 10 years ago) I was at DL four years ago and had no issues. I visited the link to allears.net and found the information useful. However, CA and DL were not really covered. My question is specifically about CA and the roller coaster and other major rides. If anyone has any comments I would like to hear them. I am really interested in how wide the cars are (divided?) and what restraint system is used.

Thanks a bunch, this is my first post to your site.

P.S. To anyone of normal proportion that thinks ill of people of size just remember it is people like myself who you cheer for and wager your hard earned $ on, on Sat. afternoons.

JTSnowFan
11-12-2004, 11:51 AM
OT: Do you play Pac-10 football? Or are you just saying you are built like one of them? (I'm a huge Pac-10 football fan!)

I'm not exactly sure what kind of problems you might run into. It really depends on the ride and if the harness can go all the way around you to buckle properly.

dlandnut
11-12-2004, 12:00 PM
I have a nephew, 6'9" played Jr college basketball. Tall, and until about 3 years ago when he finally got in shape, he weighed about 250. Anyway, we have experienced by DL and CA a few times together and there wasn't much of a problem. Went on California Screamin. The cast members know which "seats" are better for a taller/larger person. Like on Splash Mountain, they put him on the log with less people. Usually if you let your CM know your plight, they'll give you solutions. Have fun. :)

beaver state rich
11-12-2004, 12:00 PM
I did for a very short time under Pettabone at OSU. I was injured my freshman year and had to settle for being a normal student. This is one of the reasons all OSU lineman now wear knee braces injured or not. More teams are going to this as cheep prevention against injury. I got hit in the left leg from behind resulting in the removal of my cartilage.

JTSnowFan
11-12-2004, 12:09 PM
Aww, thats terrible! Good thing it wasn't too serious (meaning you can't walk). It's cool that you played though.

Doodle Duck
11-12-2004, 12:58 PM
You'll have no problems at DL or DCA. We ride everything with ease (except the Swings in the ugly Orange.)

Knott's on the other hand has downsized seats on numerous rides. Forget Accelerator...Ghost Rider will be tight but doable.

Legoland has big seats even though they are kid rides. No problems.

Sea World: No Problems.

Have fun. Eat well.

Doug

sami869
11-12-2004, 01:02 PM
The only rides that might not be able to ride (at least not comfortably) that I can think of are the swings and the Maliboomer. Someone more imformed please correct me if I'm wrong.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
11-12-2004, 01:36 PM
Swings, those swings are not made for the full of figure. Teeny, little narrow seats.

disneyhound
11-12-2004, 06:16 PM
Go Beavs!!!

Uncle Remus
11-12-2004, 07:37 PM
my sister goes to U of O. I just thought i would share.

Kitsune_SD
11-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Legoland has big seats even though they are kid rides. No problems.
Doug

Nope, LegoLand can be a problem. I'm female, 5'10" and a size 22 (a big girl, but not a linebacker!) - and I had some major problems with a couple of rides. Sorry I can't recall the names off the top of my head...

As for DCA, I would suggest you stay away from the Orange Stinger (the swing ride) and Mulholland Madness (mad mouse style coaster). I can't comment for you on the other rides, but I personally have no problems with them.

For other parks, don't bother with a trip to Six Flags... their restraint systems are designed for slender people and it would be likely you will encounter many rides you can not ride.

sleepyjeff
11-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Just don't try to get on Mullholland Madness or Big Thunder with a child.... :eek:

Otherwise, except for the aforementioned Orange Stinger you should be fine.

Doodle Duck
11-13-2004, 07:31 AM
re Legoland...at 6'3 and 325 lbs I can't recall a problem on any of the rides.

The airplane ride has a 300 lb weight limit. and the Horse joust is just for little ones...but we rode everything else easily. Nice big seats.

Swings at DCA I believe is also a 300 lb limit and little seats.

Kitsune_SD
11-13-2004, 11:45 AM
Doodle,

It looks like they removed the ride from LegoLand that I had a problem with... it was the hanging dragon ride (not the dragon coaster) and the restraint on it fit so tightly around my hips they had to force it down, and I ended up with bruises from it. I recall having a problem with the Bionicle coaster as well, but it was just uncomfortable and nowhere near as bad as the flying dragon ride.

Doodle Duck
11-13-2004, 12:54 PM
Yeah...that was Spell Breaker...very slow loader...I had not trouble riding it but my Wife did since it was a climb on like a tall motorcycle.
I liked it though.

Doug

Hamradio
11-13-2004, 03:32 PM
Rich,
In most cases you should be okay. Come on down and have a good time in the land of the National Champion USC Trojans (sorry Corvallis, couldn't resist).

Kitsune_SD
11-13-2004, 05:30 PM
Yeah...that was Spell Breaker...very slow loader...I had not trouble riding it but my Wife did since it was a climb on like a tall motorcycle.
I liked it though.

Doug

Yeah, it was a real slow loader when they were trying to get the ride restraints on me! I have full hips, so I think that was the big problem for me... the ride was cool, it was just those restraints that killed the fun for me.

Flint
11-13-2004, 08:20 PM
I'm 6'1" and 300#, but built very compact and muscular - it's the scottish ancestry. I'm one of those types that even I was the "ideal" weight for my height, I'd still have a hell of a time getting into an airplane seat (wide shoulders and hips).

The only attractions that have been an issue in the past for me:

Splash Mountain: They went from the 3-back rest "bench seat" configuration to the "everyone gets a back rest" set up. The cast members are good about putting us larger people in the section that has more room (in front, if I recall correctly). If not, just ask, and they'll re-seat you. You, and everyone in your log, WILL get wet because of the extra momentum. (LOL it's a bonus :p)

Matterhorn: You'll be riding single, unless the person you're going to share a seat with is small (child-sized or very thin).

Tea Cups: You'll only want 2 adults to a tea cup, unless it's two adults and a much smaller child. I got in one with two of my buddies (built like me), and there's just NOT enough leg room... I like having my knees and such, you know? ;-)

Haunted Mansion: You'll only be able to fit 2 adults in your Doombuggy. There's no give, and you'll get hurt if you try to squash in there. (ask my niece!)

Indiana Jones: Seats aren't too incredibly close together, but you'll probably feel like you're on a plane (you know what I mean). Your legs might feel a little cramped.

Jungle Cruise & Storybook Land: Cast members are usually good about distributing the weight around without inadvertently embarrassing you.

Autopia: 1 adult and a child is about all you'll be able to fit. If you're tall, it'll be awkward trying to work the gas pedal. I usually have to throw my legs apart and just use my heel (sideways) while bending my legs.

Gadget's Go Coaster: Don't even bother, you're not getting on. No way no how.

Dumbo/Astro Orbiter: You can fit just fine, but you'll have a hell of a time trying to get OUT, especially if you're tall.

Alice in Wonderland: 1 adult and child per row

I'm assuming the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes would be difficult to fit into, but I haven't been on that since I was a young child in the late 70's, so I can't be certain.

I've been wanting to write a guide for bigger people at Disneyland for a while, but since I moved out of state, I haven't had the opportunity.

I'm particularly pissed off that Disney stocks ABSOLUTELY no clothing for anyone over a size XXL (or tall sizes, that I've seen), and XXL themselves are RARE. Considering that more than a third of the country is "obese", it seems like a really STUPID move not to think of that. I think I can safely speak for bigger people when I say that when we find a place that is concientious enough to stock sizes for us, WE GO BACK OFTEN. *points to the $500 I dropped at Casual Male Big & Tall over 4 weeks this summer*

Let me know if you have any questions, I'll check back. :)

PumbaaMan
11-13-2004, 11:46 PM
I'm glad soeone finally started a post of tisd nature. Of all the times I've gome to DL and DCA, the only ride i had a problem with was Mulholand Drive. Being oflarge stature I to wish Disney would stock larger sizes. I'm just hoping that the new version of Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear will be large person friendly.

derraj25
11-14-2004, 06:48 AM
I did for a very short time under Pettabone at OSU. I was injured my freshman year and had to settle for being a normal student. This is one of the reasons all OSU lineman now wear knee braces injured or not. More teams are going to this as cheep prevention against injury. I got hit in the left leg from behind resulting in the removal of my cartilage.

I was one of the student trainers from '91-96. Were you on one of those teams?

beaver state rich
11-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Derra J 25, Yep 1994 I'm the guy who knocked out the eq. manager "Radar" when he got in the way and was not looking. I was hurt before the first game. But what the hell, I was only a walk on.

To everyone else, thanks for the input. When the wife and I were down in 2000 I had no problems at DL. It sounds like CA is going to be the same. The big coaster (don't know the name) sounds like it should be o.k.?

Also, I had the same experience as others at Knotts. I was really upset how that place had gone down hill. I grew up in S.Calf. before my folks moved us up to OR. It had always been one of my favorites. Ghost town was the best. Now it is just like any other park with no theme or character. I'm going to skip Knotts this trip and go to Olvera St. for some tacos instead. Heres hoping I can make it down Whittiear Blvd. (sp.) and back alive.

MrsSmith
11-14-2004, 05:46 PM
Olvera Street ! Yum ! Carnitas at La Luz del Dia. Heaven.

Hamradio
11-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Derra J 25, Yep 1994 I'm the guy who knocked out the eq. manager "Radar" when he got in the way and was not looking. I was hurt before the first game. But what the hell, I was only a walk on.

To everyone else, thanks for the input. When the wife and I were down in 2000 I had no problems at DL. It sounds like CA is going to be the same. The big coaster (don't know the name) sounds like it should be o.k.?

Also, I had the same experience as others at Knotts. I was really upset how that place had gone down hill. I grew up in S.Calf. before my folks moved us up to OR. It had always been one of my favorites. Ghost town was the best. Now it is just like any other park with no theme or character. I'm going to skip Knotts this trip and go to Olvera St. for some tacos instead. Heres hoping I can make it down Whittiear Blvd. (sp.) and back alive.
Rich, why not avoid East L.A. traffic issues by taking the train, either Amtrak Pacific Surfliner or Metrolink commuter rail, from either Anaheim or Fullerton stations into Los Angeles Union Station. Olvera Street is literally across the street from the LA station, and Phillipe's (french dip sandwiches) is just one block north on Alameda. Have fun!

lisap
11-14-2004, 07:17 PM
California Screamin' has over the shoulder restraints you pull down 'till snug--they're snug for everyone; good thing too, what with the upside down part. ;) It's doable.

Have a great time--don't miss Soarin' Over California (seat belt restraints, no problem.) It's way cool.