PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Merchandise Problems!

Pages : [1] 2

splashmtngurl
11-11-2004, 06:52 PM
My parents were recently came back from dl (this week) and they encountered and interesting problem.

they were waiting at one of the pin carts when the lady suddenly got a call from another cast member who was asking for help. she was upset because she had a guest trying to buy a hat and have it engraved with is nickname now the lady claimed that he could only have his real
name engraved on the hat, no nicknames. She said that it was disney policy and that it always had been. :confused:

this doesnt sound quite right to me. are you telling me that i cant have a hat engraved with "cutie" or "loonie" or whatever nick name i might have? i dont really understand this. it just doesnt make sense. i mean as long as its not offensive shouldnt it be alright?

If so....how long has this been policy been in place. i mean mickey mouse club member cubby used to have his name engraved his hat right? and that was a nickname!

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks for the help

MrsG
11-11-2004, 06:58 PM
I wanted Mrs. G engraved on a pair of mouse ears. The woman wouldn't do it... at first. But then she made me promise I wouldn't wear it in the park. I told her it was for Crazy Hat Day at school during spirit week. She did finally make it for me. Yes, it is a policy not to have nick names or last names, apparently.

Jewels
11-11-2004, 09:14 PM
Wow,

That seems new. The last time I bought a hat was 2001. I got the red minnie hat with the yellow daisy on top and I had them put my nickname "Jewels" on it and they did not even bat an eye over the name.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Maybe they thought that Jewels was your real name. They would not do one for me with "mommy" on it, last week!

I Heart Disneyland!
11-11-2004, 09:20 PM
I had my son's nickname put on his Mickey ears about 4 years ago. Strange that they won't do it now. And "MOMMY", they won't let you have MOMMY!?! That is just nuts!

CoasterChickie
11-11-2004, 09:49 PM
I asked them to write Chickie on my ears and they told me the same thing they told you....that nicknames weren't allowed.

But when I went to a store in DCA , whose name I can't recall off the top of my head, they were willing to write Chickie on a nametag for me.

Andrew
11-11-2004, 10:18 PM
This "policy" is very dependent on the particular CM. If you get one who won't give you what you want, try another location or come back in a couple of hours.

derraj25
11-12-2004, 07:10 AM
I am assuming that if you put one nickname on a hat, then you have to put them all on it. And face it, some nicknames are worse than others ;)

Don't you just love our Politically Correctness??? (make me sick)

tinklover25
11-12-2004, 07:31 AM
I have seen signs up posting this! I can kinda see why they do it..always a bad apple in the bunch...but I was sad because when we went for our honeymoon we wanted "Just" on one hat and "Married" on the other but after seeing so many signs in WDW we were afraid to even ask.

danyoung
11-12-2004, 09:40 AM
My brother was a long time CM at the Mad Hatter shop in Fantasyland. And yes, it's been a long standing policy. It does cause a bunch of trouble, but I guess that's better than the CM picking and choosing which nickname is allowed and which one isn't. Do you want to be the one to say that "Cutie" is ok, but [deleted] isn't? (Not sure if that's going to get by the MP police, but I do it anyway to make the point.)

tod
11-12-2004, 10:40 AM
In 1984 I was working at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (and don't get me started on that place, it isn't pretty) and we had just installed Ticketron ticketing machines to handle the massive ticket sales that the French Impressionism show would generate. (The show was right before the Olympics and part of the Olympics Arts Festival, the paintings were mostly from the Louvre and only available because they were remodeling and adding that big glass pyramid and some of them had never been outside of France before, et cetera.)

How can I put this and not run afoul of the auto-censor... The Ticketron machines were dreadful. We couldn't make them work worth... couldn't make them work at all. They were recalicitrant and borderline evil.

We hated them.

In the middle of this, I went to Disneyland, and I had a sudden inspiration. I walked into the Mad Hatter on Main Street, told the CMs my sad story, picked up a Mickey Mouse hat and asked "Can you put 'Ticketron' on this?"

They did, cheerfully.

Given, "Ticketron" is not a nickname of questionable meaning, but the policy is either recent (Disneyland had been open almost 30 years at this point) or inconsistently enforced.

--t

the mad hatter
11-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Do you want to be the one to say that "Cutie" is ok, but [deleted] isn't? (Not sure if that's going to get by the MP police, but I do it anyway to make the point.)

Footface? Fontface? lol...:)

danyoung
11-12-2004, 11:06 AM
...the policy is either recent (Disneyland had been open almost 30 years at this point) or inconsistently enforced.

Again, the policy is most definitely not new - it's been in force for at least the past 20 years that I know about, and most likely before that. But it's still the CM on the front line who makes the decisions, sometimes against company policy.

danyoung
11-12-2004, 11:06 AM
Footface? Fontface? lol...:)

Think aftermath of a large Mexican lunch, and leave it at that.....

the mad hatter
11-12-2004, 11:08 AM
Think aftermath of a large Mexican lunch, and leave it at that.....

I was joking. I figured that was it :)
But how can they tell you what is a nickname and what isn't? Do they card you? What if my parents were disneyland hippies and named me dumbo?

TP2000
11-12-2004, 11:09 AM
I am assuming that if you put one nickname on a hat, then you have to put them all on it. And face it, some nicknames are worse than others ;)

Don't you just love our Politically Correctness??? (make me sick)

I can understand the no nickname policy, but I imagine it's a policy that came along in the last 20 years or so. And Disneyland is definitely not to blame.

Back in 1955 or 1962, or 1972, the people who paid to get in to Disneyland would never have thought to put an obscenity or sexually suggestive term on their clothing, let alone a pair of Mickey Mouse ears. But with the noticeable coarsening of the culture this country has had in the last 15 or 20 years, there are now grown adults who think it's acceptable to present obscene or sexually suggestive words and images on their clothing in public. Disneyland has to react to that, and to keep it as fair as possible, "nicknames" are now out on Mouse ears.

Disneyland isn't to blame here, rather the direction our popular culture has gone in during the recent past is to blame.

jasonpbyu
11-12-2004, 11:45 AM
Names these days are so weird, how would they know its not your real name?

I know someone named "Rusty Carr" , what celeb was it that named their baby "apple" ?

i mean yeah if it is a vulgar word i can see why they wouldnt do it, but people can even change their legal names to anything they want.

JTSnowFan
11-12-2004, 11:48 AM
That's a good point. It was Gweneth Paltrow that named her baby Apple. I'm sure if she tryied to get her name on one, they'd ask for some ID or something.

jasonpbyu
11-12-2004, 11:57 AM
That's a good point. It was Gweneth Paltrow that named her baby Apple. I'm sure if she tryied to get her name on one, they'd ask for some ID or something.

ID for a baby? dont know of any parent that carrys ID for their kid :p

danyoung
11-12-2004, 12:04 PM
But how can they tell you what is a nickname and what isn't? Do they card you?

I've seen my brother tell people to show ID before he'd print their name. Don't remember the name, but it was something strange, and the kids looked like they might not be the most honest ever.

BradysGirl
11-12-2004, 12:16 PM
I did not know about the policy either and last year I was in DCA and wanted mouse ears. I asked if they would put "Kitten" on them. The guy said okay and the girl who was going to do the actual embroidery came over and asked me if Kitten was my real name. Of course I said no (mostly because I'm honest [dumb actually]). So she said she couldn't do it. Then I was dissapointed so she said "I'll ask you again. Is Kitten your name?" Of course that time I said yes and they did it. After we were done my BF said he couldn't believe they let me have that name. And then he explained the policy. Well, we walked back over into DL and we were in one of the stores on Main Street. A CM is the store came over and demanded to know where I got my hat. I told her I didn't remember because she looked really mad. I really thought she was going to try and take my hat so I snatched it off my head and didn't put it back on until I left the store. I'm scared to wear it in the park so it just sits on a shelf at home.

My BF said it has something to do with copywrites. I told him Kitten isn't a name per se, its a word. But, he said that if it had ever been used as a name in a script of any kind then it is protected under copywrite laws. Weird, huh?

danyoung
11-12-2004, 12:22 PM
I can't say for sure, but I don't think it has to do with copyright law. It has to do with Disney keeping decisions out of the CM's hands (in this case, that's as it should be). While it's nice that CM's try to help out us little people, putting a nickname on a hat can easily get the employee fired. So your are right not to wear it in the park - it's just a signal to senior CM's that someone screwed up.

JPIVERSON
11-12-2004, 12:23 PM
I've actually seen someone with the name Cindy Rella... I guess she could show some ID. :)

the mad hatter
11-12-2004, 12:40 PM
I really thought she was going to try and take my hat so I snatched it off my head and didn't put it back on until I left the store.

They can't take your hat, that's theft. Anyways i think this whole no nicknames thing is too much. i mean there are obvious words that we all know shouldn't be on a hat, but most words/nicknames probably are pretty innocent. If you think about it...it's kind of ironic that a place that is built around illusions and imagination will not let you have a fake name on a hat. doesn't seem consistent.

kbanmen
11-12-2004, 01:14 PM
If so....how long has this been policy been in place. i mean mickey mouse club member cubby used to have his name engraved his hat right? and that was a nickname!

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks for the help

I have never heard this. I work at california adventure and can find out for you, as the policies are the same in both of the parks. I can see what I can find out.