PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Eve crowds

Pages : [1] 2

SJSman
11-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Will it be crowded on New Years Eve? I see the park is open until 2am. Should I expect a mass of people to stay until the park closes? Would u advise to stay away from the aprk on this day?

S

stan4d_steph
11-10-2004, 08:58 AM
It will be insanely crowded. Most people will stay until after all of the hoopla at midnight. If you want to spend NYE with a whole bunch of people at DL, go for it. Just don't expect to go on very many attractions or go anywhere (restaurant, bathroom, ODV) without having to wait in line.

I've done it once. It was a blast, but I don't think I went on more than one attraction. If you want to see the fireworks over the castly, you'll have to stake out a spot early.

pisces
11-10-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm thinking the fireworks on New Years Eve must be different, and there must be a countdown to Midnight.

I'm actually looking forward to that evening, as long as it's not hot, and they still have the Christmas decorations up.

I'm not planning on doing any rides. I'll have hopefully done all my scrambling and rode everything the 4 days prior, and come New Years Eve---that will be my time to just meander around and gaze here and there. I'll have already eaten, so that's simply a time when I'll want to sit, and perhaps soak up the atmosphere and notice and take in any scenery I'd missed the four days prior, while running to this or that ride.

I hope the noise from the crowds won't be so thick that it drowns out any of the music, and I hope they've still got Christmas carols going at that time.

So, that's my strategy.

I am planning on getting in at least one or two rides at 12-1 am ish when everybody is watching the countdown fireworks. I think I'll utilize that time to see if any lines thin out.

mystycalchyk
11-10-2004, 09:26 AM
NYE at Disneyland is my personal favorite time EVAR!!!

This year will be our 7th. I cant imagine not being there. It will be insanely crowded and completely crazy. It will still be decorated to the hilt for Christmas and being directly in front of the castle is THE place to be. If you go, look for me. :)

bluepearl
11-10-2004, 10:08 AM
I haven't done NYE at Disneyland yet (I've read about the crowds and would hate to walk around in a literal sardine can), but NYE at DCA was really fun the only time I got to do it, which was in 2001. I'm planning to do it again this year, since I'm not a CM anymore and don't have to work and am hoping for a great time!

I'm sure this time my mom won't call me at 11:30PM and tell me to be home by midnight! :p

nightdesigns
11-10-2004, 10:34 AM
I've done NYE in the past, it is a blast. Lots of partying going on around the park.

Tip though, don't expect crowds do die down later in the day, in fact, it get's more and more crowded. It will be standing room only, but just about anywhere you go, there's some type of entertainment going on.

cstephens
11-10-2004, 11:50 AM
I'm thinking the fireworks on New Years Eve must be different, and there must be a countdown to Midnight.

As I recall, there used to be two, one at 9pm for the east coast midnight (there are usually cameras broadcasting to the new year's television shows), and then one for west coast midnight.

tinklover25
11-10-2004, 12:05 PM
i will never do it again, a member of our party had to go to the bathroom about 11:30 and could not make her way back to us. People would not let her through she spent the count down by herself crying how is that for disney spirit! It was a mad house I don't if that was because it was turning 2000 but I hated it!

Pirate Bill
11-10-2004, 01:17 PM
I'll be there. This will be our first time. We're pretty much expecting it to be crazy insane crowded and at the same time not sure what to expect (if that makes any sense). We're ok with not getting on any rides as we'll just be swingin' at Carnation Plaza anyways!

carnation dave
11-10-2004, 01:42 PM
I took my 2 ( ages 13 & 16) oldest children with me in 2002. We entered the maingate at approximately 6:30 pm. We made it to the clock shop on the west side of main street and hit a major roadblock. There were people everywhere and we were not able to move in any direction. The cms were asking people to go one way and another CM saying to move in the opposite direction. The crowds got rowdy and tempers flew ( even security's tempers) and the fathers had to collapse their strollers and carry them over their heads while mothers carried their infants in their arms to get out of mainstreet. We decided it would be safer to celebrate outside of the park that night. It still took us until 9:00 to get back to the main entrance to exit. It's crowded and if you like that: GO FOR IT!!

richas
11-10-2004, 01:50 PM
We were there for NYE in 2001. It was extremly crowded all day at Disneyland, so we headed to DCA in the evening. Ended up going back to our hotel around 10:30 and watched to fireworks from our hotel room balcony at midnite.The crowds really freaked me out.

Pirate Bill
11-10-2004, 02:18 PM
You guys aren't reassuring me it will be a good time! :D

Anyone else have some (dare I say) positive experiences for New Years at DL?

mystycalchyk
11-10-2004, 02:23 PM
I told you I love it love it love it love it love it.looooooooooooooove it.

Hubby and I go every year, wouldnt miss it for the world. Do a search on here for "New years Eve"...adn youre bound to find pics and posts from me :D

QueenAlisha
11-10-2004, 02:37 PM
i'm going to be there with some friends this new years eve, i cant wait. i may not ever get the chance to do it again, so its wotrh it. besides it cant be any worse than the crowds here on new years. im so excited about it.

VickiC
11-10-2004, 02:40 PM
The thought gives me hives. Being in a crowd and unable to get out is my nightmare.

DISNEYloon
11-10-2004, 03:07 PM
I can understand 'crowded'.........I can deal with that, but not INSANE, where people are mean and you seriously CAN'T MOVE.

I'll be leaving DLR on the 30th, and celebrating the 31st with family in Palm Springs.

HAVE FUN! As long as you know what you are in for, then you won't be suprised.

mystycalchyk
11-10-2004, 03:13 PM
here is a thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=12667&page=2&pp=25&highlight=New+years) with some pics I took year before last (from NYE 2002)
I have never experienced mean people .....yes it's crowded but nothing too much to handle. And we are seriously in the busiest spot you can be. I have never had any bad experiences there. If you go...look for my group, we will be directly in front of the castle at the front edge of the hub. Just look for the beach balls.

DISNEYloon
11-10-2004, 03:57 PM
quick question for those well versed in being at DLR on NYE (looked at last years morning after thread - looks like you all had fun)

Our game plan is to arrive around 12noon at DLR on Dec 29th and stay until 12Noon on Dec 31st. (Staying at Candy Cane Inn)

What's the park like on NYE from opening until 12noon - is it fair to expect to be able to go on a few rides at Disneyland then have lunch and leave, or better to do DCA that day?

Any advise would be helpful!

Thanks! :cool:

mystycalchyk
11-10-2004, 04:02 PM
Of course you will be able to do that. DCA will probably be less crowded than DL, so if you were already planning on a morning in DCA that may be the better day...but, in DL you will be able to do attractions and get around earlier in the day. It's no worse than a busy summer day IMO. It's gets busier as the day goes on...so if you were to leave by noon it wouldnt impact you as much.

If you go expecting it will be busy it truly not that big of a deal. Again, though...stop by and say 'hey' to the chick sitting on the bench in front of the castle in the hub. I will more than likely be wearing a 'mousketeer' white turtleneck with my name on it and mouse ears...hard to miss.
I will be there all day.

DISNEYloon
11-10-2004, 04:03 PM
Thanks Victoria! I'll have to do that! :)

pisces
11-10-2004, 04:47 PM
I think the trick is to be where the crowds aren't. For instance, when everyone is watching the fireworks 12:00 midnight, you are on the Matterhorn, if that's at all possible.

Or, if it's 10:00 pm, and the Park is standing room only, you are at California Adventure, where it is less crowded, and California Adventure stays open till 12:00 am on New Years Eve.

Mostly, I just want to find a place and get situated, where I can sit perched, like a cat. There must be good places to perch.

But, I really think at about 1:00 am, the Park must clear out.

So that leaves at least one hour from 1:00 to 2:00 am to do rides. I bet it's very glamorous going on rides at that hour.

Sheila
11-10-2004, 05:14 PM
NYE can be fun, provided you know what you're doing. All of the tips above have been pretty good.

Basically, plan on eating early or getting food to go from one of the restaurants. Find a place to camp out (NOT on Main Street) and find a seat. Try not to do this any later than 7:00 p.m. or so. Do not plan on moving until after midnight. (In other words, don't try to leave or enter the park after 9:00 p.m.)

It will take a good 30-45 minutes for the log jam in the Hub to start loosening up at the conclusion of the midnight fireworks. Do not even attempt to get to Main Street or use the hub to exit and enter a different land. It can be frustrating and even frightening to be stuck in a huge, unmoving crowd like that.

It used to be that the park cleared out at 1:00 a.m., leaving the final hour delightfully low capacity. I haven't seen it that way in the last couple of years though. Crowds definitely linger until closing.

And plan on walking back to the parking structure when you leave. Tram service is usually shut down for the evening due to massive crowds.

NYE can be really fun, but don't expect to move around the park easily and go from ride to ride. It's really a people-watching event. :)

Sheila

TrekkieDad
11-10-2004, 05:38 PM
A couple of times we went to Disneyland (before it was a "resort") on NYE back in the days when it was a separate ticket. In 2003 we arrived on New Year's Day, and that really wasn't too bad. So last year we decided to give NYE a go. The first thing we did was order tickets for the 12:05 AM Fantasmic buffet, knowing we would be ringing in the new year from that little balcony. That pretty much framed our plans.

We arrived in the early afternoon, picked up our buffet tickets and headed over the Hungry Bear for a late lunch and ate it peacefully among the ducks and feral cats in the far back. I don't recall if we went on a couple of rides, but we went over to DCA where we had bread bowl "dinners" and picked up our party hats and horns. Later, it was back into DL. Since we were warned about the crowds, we were already near NOS before the second Fantasmic show was over. As soon as we could, we hung out in the Gallery and waited to check in for dessert.

You can actually see the top of the Matterhorn from the Gallery, and the view of the fireworks is unobstructed. We were seated in the front row (early reservations!), and as the new year approched the balcony filled with CM's. They rang in the new year with us and returned to their posts before Fantasmic began.

After the show, we were allowed to linger, and we exited out the back door of the gallery, down the stairs into the courtyard. Since the park was open until 2, there was time to take in a ride or two (Indy, anyone?) before heading back to our hotel.

We still had four more days on our park hopper to do the rides and eat at all our favorite places and to try a few new ones.

This year we are arriving December 18 (our anniversary). We'll stay only three nights and redeem our very first AP certificates. That way we will be coming back for shorter trips over the next year.

NYE in Disneyland can be fun, especially if you are prepared to deal with big crowds and know where and when to get away from them. We don't care for big crowds, but when you think of them as thousands of your closest friends spending time together in a favorite place, it's not so bad.

sdfilmcritic
11-10-2004, 11:07 PM
My family went on New Year's Eve a couple of years ago and they absolutely hated it!!!! Do not go, please! I beg of you!

tinklover25
11-11-2004, 08:45 AM
It was so crowded that they stopped letting people in! I had a great time during the day but the night was when people got mean and scary and watch out for the beach balls they can come out of nowhere! Have fun though I guess it should be done at least once in a lifetime. Getting out is just as crazy!