PDA

View Full Version : Had a great Nov 4-6 weekend - but being home sucks!

TooFarFromDisney
11-08-2004, 06:41 AM
:crying: :D Haven't been to the parks since the first weekend of October 2 years ago. Thursday was so quiet at Disneyland - it was surreal! We basically walked on most of the rides except for those in Fantasyland (5 minute waits?) We walked right to Critter Country at opening (10:00) and rode Splash, Winnie the Pooh, HMH, Pirates, Indiana Jones and BTMR in less than 2 hours - it was amazing! The Snow White Musical was incredible and unfortunately we didn't see or hear much of "Believe" because we were exhausted and eating at the Stagecoach Cafe/Grill at the time. It DID snow afterward - really cool.

We went to DCA on Saturday and had the same experience with crowds until the afternoon, then it got fairly congested, but STILL no terrible lines. The kids loved Playhouse Disney and Aladdin was amazing. Tower of Terror was surpisingly frightening - especially to the (2) 5-year olds we took on it!! My boy had heard about it from his friend and it was all he could talk about, so I took him - he was crying after, but still can't stop talking about it!!!

Screamin' was shut down so we went back to DL at about 6:00 and the crowds were pretty bad. By 9:00 you could hardly walk Mstreet because of "Believe", but it was still a great day. Rode "Small World" that night and it was beyond incredible. The holiday lights/decor is simply amazing and I really, like many others, think that this is the time of year I will continue to come to the parks. The only challenge now is that I am truly feeling a little down being back to work/reality - strange how that works isn't it? It's not like the other weekend trips that are fun, but don't TOTALLY take you from reality. This time I feel pretty low - I guess I just need to work on that!!!

Thanks for all of your posts, etc. I stumbled onto this site a few months ago an can't believe the wealth of info available.

11-08-2004, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the fun read! Glad the crowds were sparse. And you know the cure for the Disneyland blues, right? You start planning your next trip, even if (like mine) it's in the distant future!

Hakuna Makarla
11-08-2004, 07:59 AM
Man, sounds like a great trip! I know what you mean about coming home and it stinking;) I felt this way to and went in to a small depression knowing it may be a long while when I can go back again. I am glad you had a great time and by the way, tot is scary LOL! But I loved it! my daughter still talks about it and man I wish we were there now!
Thanks for the great report. Have a great week!

kristinhawk
11-08-2004, 08:48 AM
We were at the park Nov 3-7 too. It is so PAINFUL to be at work today! Definitely eerily un-busy Weds-Friday. Even Saturday was not too bad. Sunday was the busiest, intermittant rain and all.

We were celebrating my daughter's first birthday - she loved it! Went on every single ride that she was allowed to, minus Autotopia because they have a ludicrous rule about shoes. (She isn't walking, doesn't wear them!)

Other random thoughts: Lunch at Goofy's kitchen was incredibly nice. Got to see into the Matterhorn a little - the new cars look much comfier, we can't wait to get in them! Castle looks great, holiday decorations were reaally beautiful. The fireworks are impressive. And we really liked the haunted mansion overlay - makes it more kid friendly too. We stayed at the Staybridge Suites, which exceeded expectations. ART was not so great - slow, lots of waiting (every 20 minutes, my patoot!) and we had several extremely unpleasant drivers.

Overall though - fabulous 5 days. Can't wait to go back.

Mrs.N
11-08-2004, 09:08 AM
[QUOTE=kristinhawk] Went on every single ride that she was allowed to, minus Autotopia because they have a ludicrous rule about shoes. (She isn't walking, doesn't wear them!)

We have been taking our daughter every couple of weeks since she was two weeks old, and now at 13 months, for the first time we had a CM give us a hard time because she wasn't wearing shoes (she also doesn't walk yet)! This was on the Snow White ride! Not sure what the danger is there, especially since no one has ever said anything about that before!

TooFarFromDisney
11-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the kind words. I actually felt really stupid about my emotions this morning - I'm supposed to be a grownup for crying out loud - a father and caretaker and I couldn't get over leaving Disneyland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, the suggestion of planning our next trip is the best I've heard. After people do Marathons, Triathlons, etc, they definitely get the blues. I know from experience, so I always plan my next race, etc. We are planning for November 2006 - 3-5 days this time rather than 2. :D

Earkid
11-08-2004, 05:52 PM
We are planning for November 2006 - 3-5 days this time rather than 2. :D

Definately try to go for five weekdays. In the past we had always taken weekend, or two day trips. When we decided to go for a week we had some concerns that we would get burned out or run out of things to do. When we left we couldn't believe how quickly the week had gone and there were still things we realized we had not done (or not done enough times!!)

We already have Dec. '04 trip planned as well as Feb. '05, and May, '05 and Sept. '05 are in the works. Have had Dec. '05 trip planned since last June. It's an illness I say!!
:~D

Wendi
11-08-2004, 06:42 PM
I totally know how you feel... I had to go back to work today, it's certainly NOT Disneyland!!! In fact, I even had a small anxiety attack before getting out of bed at the hotel the morning of our departure. I've just gotta get working on my plan to return in May!!!

It looks like a lot of us were there during the same days... too bad we didn't meet!

JTSnowFan
11-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Went on every single ride that she was allowed to, minus Autotopia because they have a ludicrous rule about shoes

This is a rule at Disney: No shoes, No shirt, No service is basically how it is. Not many people enforce it, but recently it has become more of an issue to actually enforce it. And remember, its parkwide policy. Please dont get mad at CMs for enforcing it (Not saying you were, just giving a generalization).

CoasterChickie
11-09-2004, 06:04 AM
Oh yes, post-Disney let-down. It's what makes us start planning our next trip . Ours is supposedly not until next March, but your description of "Believe" and "It's a Small World" makes me want to go for at least one day during the holidays. (Plus Rentayenta is going to be there :) ) Also, just hearing the words "Tower of Terror" makes me want to go ride it right now! :D Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm about your trip. Hope you get over feeling blue soon!!

P.S. Sometimes when I'm missing Disneyland I'll take a trip to the local Disney Store just to lift my spirits!

rentayenta
11-09-2004, 06:23 AM
I cannot even imagine how bad my post-Disney depression will be. I always get a little touch of the blues after Christmas and I always get a touch after a trip to DL; combine the two and I might just drive my car into a wall.

Coaster, we have plenty of room. Pretty please come see me! That would be too fun.

kristinhawk
11-09-2004, 12:35 PM
This is a rule at Disney: No shoes, No shirt, No service is basically how it is. Not many people enforce it, but recently it has become more of an issue to actually enforce it. And remember, its parkwide policy. Please dont get mad at CMs for enforcing it (Not saying you were, just giving a generalization).

I would not have had a problem with the rule if it was clearly and consistently enforced. We took DD on pretty much every other ride that a 1 year old can ride before we were turned away from Autotopia. And I did not make a big deal of it at all at the time - though I did ask for a rationale for this rule, and the CM told us that there are sharp edges on the bottom of the Autotopia cars - never even mentioned a "parkwide policy." I did not throw a fit or act unkindly towards the CM - he was just doing his job. I proceeded to the exit and waited for the rest of our party to ride. Should we have been asked to leave the park until my daughter could produce shoes? I really think that LUDICROUS was the proper choice if it really is 100% no shoes, no service.
My daughter doesn't even own shoes! Our pediatrician recommended that she not wear them until she is walking, as they would hinder the natural process of growth and learning this new skill. I saw many, many babies throughout the day, most not wearing shoes. Would a disabled child or adult in a wheelchair be required to wear shoes? Even if their disability prevented the wearing of shoes? Obviously, walking children and adults should have shoes on, and again, I did not fight the rule or behave rudely about it at the time, but I do question the lack logic and customer service behind it.

My $.02!

Kristin

JTSnowFan
11-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Yes, I understand. All I'm saying is that in the tram ride on the way from the parking lots to the park, it is clearly stated by the voice over. As for actually enforcing it, CMs are supposed to, but I agree there are some blurry circumstances where it could cause problems. I have seen it enforced in such ride as Pirates and Haunted Mansion.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-09-2004, 01:23 PM
Sounds like a great trip. We were there then too. I am sad to be home also! Can't wait to go back!

munchkinsmom0003
11-09-2004, 03:57 PM
We, too were at Disneyland the same time (11/4/ through 11/7) and also had a great time. Wasn't the weather beautiful on Friday and Saturday? I was really worried about the rains coming, but thank goodness it didn't hit Anaheim until Sunday, 11/7. Even though it rained, it stopped by 11 AM and was clear the rest of the day. The crowds were light throughout our entire time there. Now we have to decide when to go back again... ;)

paulca
11-09-2004, 04:39 PM
The tram announcement says you have to wear shoes and a shirt but it does not say you need to wear pants!!! My wife always says some day she will come with no pants!!! i don't think she ever would!!!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
11-09-2004, 04:53 PM
My youngest had no shoes or socks on Roger Rabbit, he had fallen asleep in the stroller and I took them off since it was hot last Tuesday and we decided to go on Roger Rabbit since there was NO line. DH just carried him and the CM told us that he must at least have socks on in the park, for health reasons, but he let us ride the ride. I can't imagine that the shoes thing applies to children not walking, I saw many infants in the park and they did not have shoes on, just socks.

JTSnowFan
11-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Babies are people too though. If something happened to brush by their bare feet, they could get hurt or bleed. If the had socks on (which I dont believe is the rule. Shoes are, for what I know), then it would lessen the blow.

kristinhawk
11-10-2004, 05:53 AM
We did not ride the tram at any point (rode ART back and forth from our hotel) so I did not get to hear any announcement. It is good to know that "no shoes, no service" is made clear to at least some visitors. Though even if I would have heard it, I would not have assumed that it applied to a babe in arms. And again, I feel very strongly that if it is going to be a "parkwide policy" it should be consistent for all rides, and mentioned by a cast member when a baby enters the park sans shoes. Otherwise, it is just confusing and frustrating for everyone.

LMAO about no pants. By next visit, my daughter will be on her feet and in shoes, but I giggle at the idea of all of us entering the park in shirt, undies and the oh-so-necessary shoes.

Wish I was at the park today - DH and I are STILL suffering post-Disney blues 3 days out!

Kristin : )

kristinhawk
11-10-2004, 05:56 AM
BTW - my daughter had thick socks on throughout our entire visit, just no shoes.

Kristin