PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report - Condensed Version 10/31-11/5

Wendi
11-07-2004, 02:09 PM
We got back last night... I just finished typing up my own little trip journal and I ended up with 7 pages so I think I'd better condense it for ya!!! :)

I went with my 3-year old son, Max, my brother Rob, and my niece Lauren. Max and I went a day early, we arrived on Halloween morning and stayed at Hojo's. The original plan was to go to Knott's for the day then DLR in the evening, but once we got there we just headed straight for DLR!!!

We had such a wonderful trip. It was really fantastic to see Disneyland through Max's eyes. I really enjoyed watching him interact with total strangers, he's such an extrovert and I love that about him. He talked to a lot of people, danced and played with other kids and really had a great time. He is at that age where he's going through a bit of a fraidy cat stage though, so he didn't enjoy some of the dark rides this time around. He wasn't fond of Pirates, HMH (though he loves NBC), Snow White's Scary Adventure, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride... not so good for Max. His favorites were Jungle Boat Cruise, Autopia and the Sun Wheel... we rode each of them several times! He also really liked Gadget's Go Go Coaster, but he was still scared while riding it... a good scared though, he was definitely exhilirated by it and I don't know if he could tell if he liked it or didn't, but he went twice to be sure! hehehe

We had some really great meals, Storyteller's Cafe is always one of my favorites, and it still is... excellent service, great breakfast buffet, great dinner too! Yamabuki was a first for us... we finally went! It was sooooooo yummy!!! They even made Max a pair of cheater chopsticks! Whitewater Snacks was great, and of course Blue Bayou was wonderful, I had crabcakes for the first time there. We had a character lunch at Ariel's and it was very nice. Our worst meal was at Naples, the food was good, but the service was soooooo bad... it takes a lot for me to not leave a tip, but this waiter didn't get a penny out of us it was THAT BAD!!!

I think this was probably my best trip ever... because I really enjoyed Max enjoying himself. I was very pleased to be treated to a sneak preview of Believe... In Holiday Magic on Thursday night, it gave us the opportunity to see it twice - which was necessary, once to see the fireworks, and another time to experience the snow, since we didn't hit both of them together very well either night...

I don't remember ever seeing Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, though I'm sure I saw it when I was a kid... it was great, my 11-year-old niece actually requested to see it again!!! Wow! A couple of other firsts for me: Redwood Creek Challenge Trail, Animation Building (Drawn to Animation is great!), Aladdin, Playhouse Disney, Snow White Musical.

I still have a few things on my To Do List, but I will get to them next trip... I've still never done the Mission Tortilla Factory Tour, the Boudin Bakery Tour, Seasons of the Vine, or checked out the fun stuff over at the DLH. Hopefully I can go back in May and check these off!!!

Oh, we stayed at GCH Nov 1-5, then checked into Hojo's again on Friday night so we could stay in the parks all night and sleep before heading home Saturday morning. Hotel was great, we stayed there a little over 2 years ago too. On Friday, they gave Max a Birthday button, balloons, and an autographed glossy photo of the characters... very nice!

Oh, I had a very different experience from Susan L... I saw almost no frustrated families, just perfect! I think I will go at this time every year, it was really the perfect time of year for me, perfect crowds (we walked on most rides, used two fastpasses in 6 days, had maybe 5 minute waits... just right!), weather, and holiday festivities!!!

OK... I'm gonna stop now, thanks for reading if you made it this far!!!

CarlieB
11-07-2004, 02:17 PM
Sounds like you had a great time - thanks for sharing:)

Wendi
11-07-2004, 02:27 PM
I just uploaded some photos from the trip in case anyone is interested.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/sfquake@sbcglobal.net/my_photos

paulca
11-07-2004, 04:41 PM
I am happy you had a great time!! thanks for the pictures

kisroo
11-07-2004, 05:51 PM
Wendi~great pictures! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time. You made me even more excited for our trip in Dec~especially all the parade and castle pics.
Thanks for sharing and oh, my what an adorable little guy!
~kisroo:)

CoasterChickie
11-07-2004, 06:31 PM
It's always fun to hear about other people's trips to DL. Sounds like you had a great time. You're the first person who's ever mentioned eating at Yamabuki. I keep wanting to try it so I'm glad to hear it was yummy.

Your photos are cute...your Max looks a lot like my nephew named Max! :)

VickiC
11-07-2004, 06:51 PM
We liked Yambuki too, but we like Japanese food in general. Ate there with my 5 year old and the waitress was amazed to see a little blond girl put away 2 tuna rolls all by herself.

kisroo
11-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Wendi (and VickiC)~did you think Yamabuki was expensive or fairly priced for the quality of food? Mr kisroo loves Japanese food and I'd love to treat him to a meal there when we go in Dec.

Wendi
11-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Wendi (and VickiC)~did you think Yamabuki was expensive or fairly priced for the quality of food? Mr kisroo loves Japanese food and I'd love to treat him to a meal there when we go in Dec.

It's pretty expensive, but it was the best meal of our trip! The kid's meals were more expensive than the usual $6.99 at most of the restaurants, I can't remember the exact price, but I think it was more like $10.99. The service was very good and the food was very good. Max and Lauren both got Chicken Teryaki meals which came with miso soup and a big bowl of rice, they gobbled it down and loved it all. They even made cheater chopsticks for Max, he really liked that! My brother and I each opted for fairly large combination type meals... bigger than a bento box meal, but similar because the meals included appetizers and a few different menu items. Mine was the Yamabuki Zen or something like that. I had sashimi, tempura prawn/veggie, miso soup, rice, some other stuff I can't remember now... it was a lot of food. I think my brother had the Tonkatsu Zen (or whatever they called it) and he loved his too. If I remember correctly they were $27.99 each. Not extremely expensive, but slightly above most of the other restaurants in the DLR. I will probably have to eat there every time we go from now on...

disneyhound
11-08-2004, 05:21 AM
Pictures were great Wendi. I too had a similar experience when I first took my daughter to DL; enjoying the park through my daughters eyes! :)

kisroo
11-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the info Wendi~I'm gonna call and get reservations today. Mr kisroo will thank you, too. :)

JosieGirl71
11-08-2004, 10:49 AM
Wendy -- Some of your pics are in the plane's cockpit. I would love for my sons to be able to view the cockpit. How were you able to do this?

Susan L
11-08-2004, 11:43 AM
Wendi,

I'm so glad you had a wonderful time. And so did we, and we didn't get to do everything we wanted to do either and we were there a week. As for the cranky people I don't know may-be it was just a PMS week :D

Wendi
11-08-2004, 06:38 PM
Wendy -- Some of your pics are in the plane's cockpit. I would love for my sons to be able to view the cockpit. How were you able to do this?

We flew Southwest and were waiting in the first seat near the boarding gate because I knew I could preboard with Max and get his carseat installed etc before everyone else boarded. The pilot and co-pilot passed by us on their way onto the plane and stopped to talk to Max. The pilot asked Max if he was going on this plane with them and told Max that when we got onboard to make sure to come up and say "hi" to them in the cockpit and "mom can take some pictures"... so we didn't pass up the offer!!! It was really nice of them and Max and I both felt very special.

Earkid
11-08-2004, 06:48 PM
So cute Wendi, great pics, wonderful memories.