PDA

View Full Version : A funny 1960s story . . .

D-lander 1956
11-07-2004, 08:29 AM
Ok, just had to share a great story from my DH past . . . if you have any old DL stories please share!

In about 1962, my hubby and his parents were drving south on the Interstate 5 in the Irvine area, about 5 miles from DL. At the time "the 5" was a four lane highway surrounded by farmland, orange trees, and strawberry fields.

They noticed a disabled car parked on the north side of the highway with a damsel in distress. My hubbies father made a u turn to see if he could help her. To their surprise, there stood Snow White in full costume, standing on the side of the highway with a flat tire! (Back in the day when the characters wore their costumes home)

My 7 year hubby, watched in awe as his Dad changed Snow white's tire!
He will never forget that day "on the 5". :eek: :D

Uncle Remus
11-07-2004, 12:15 PM
How old was he?

I Heart Disneyland!
11-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Ok, just had to share a great story from my DH past . . . if you have any old DL stories please share!

In about 1962, my hubby and his parents were drving south on the Interstate 5 in the Irvine area, about 5 miles from DL. At the time "the 5" was a four lane highway surrounded by farmland, orange trees, and strawberry fields.

They noticed a disabled car parked on the north side of the highway with a damsel in distress. My hubbies father made a u turn to see if he could help her. To their surprise, there stood Snow White in full costume, standing on the side of the highway with a flat tire! (Back in the day when the characters wore their costumes home)

:D What a cute story! I love it!!!

CoasterChickie
11-07-2004, 01:33 PM
D-Lander...that is a GREAT story! I can't hink of any experinces I've had that even come close to yours!

D-lander 1956
11-07-2004, 05:18 PM
How old was he?

He was 7 years old and in love with Snow White! (It think he still may be, too!)

He will turn 50 with DL next year!

Susan L
11-07-2004, 05:42 PM

In 1962 I was five. I can remember seeing the characters all through the 60's in the Disneyland parking lot getting into cars and being confused because I thought they lived at Disneyland. My mom and dad always had a standard line that the character we saw were going to visit a friend. You could also see the Matterhorn from the I5 in those days. My dad would always keep it a secret when we would go to Disneyland but, when we saw the Matterhorn we new exactly where we were going.

VickiC
11-07-2004, 07:12 PM
My husband's aunt was a tour guide back then and she arranged for a character to come to his birthday party. Of course that wasn't supposed to happen but I'm sure it did more than they liked. She still has her tour guide spiel that she had to memorize.

D-lander 1956
11-08-2004, 07:34 AM
My dad would always keep it a secret when we would go to Disneyland but, when we saw the Matterhorn we new exactly where we were going.

Did we have the same Dad?!? Or are you a long lost sister! At that time the Matterhorn was the tallest thing in Anaheim and you could see it from miles around.
And yeah, I can see how you would be confused about the characters getting into their cars. Kind of took the magic away :crying: I think DL finally figured that out and created the hidden employee parking lots soon after.

Pammer
11-08-2004, 07:39 AM
What a great story!

I have memories of riding the motorboat cruise with my dad back in the mid-60s when I was about 5 or 6 ~ I got to steer and he would operate the gas pedal. I also remember the Enchanted Tiki Room being one of his favorites, and it remains dear to my heart to this day!

Another memory is of a CM hosing down the pavement around the Matterhorn early in the morning and the park being almost empty. Boy, are those days gone!