PDA

View Full Version : Anyone remember the Welch's grape drink stand?

tstan70
11-05-2004, 01:37 PM
I have fading memories of getting the best grape juice ever from the Welch's stand that was in the old Fantasyland before the 1983 refurb. If I remember right, it was an almost frozen grape juice that was the perfect drink on a hot day.

anyone else remember this or am I dreaming of something that was never there?

no1here
11-05-2004, 02:00 PM
From the DRR here on Mouseplanet:

A Fantasia-themed beverage stand in Fantasyland until the 1983 rehab. The stand sold grape juice (purple, red, and white) as well as a frozen grape juice bar.

It had been located near the Fantasyland Theatre, the present-day home of Pinocchio.

tstan70
11-05-2004, 02:11 PM
so I am not crazy! I remember drinking the purple grape juice next to the castle just inside Fantasyland by the Tinkerbell toy shoppe (is that now the princess shop).

iwannabeanimagineer
11-05-2004, 02:30 PM
I believe the clock on the tower just outside the toy shoppe is still decorated with fruited grape vines. No?

Disneyphile
11-05-2004, 02:47 PM
Very cool! That totally brings back a lost memory for me. :D

merlinjones
11-05-2004, 02:50 PM
They had a great mural of the Pastoral Symphony characters with their grape harvest!

arielova
11-05-2004, 02:54 PM
I remember the Welch's grape juice!!!! The best!!! I had a glass of grape juice just the other day and thought about it!! YUM. :)

11-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Best popsicles!

quincytoo
11-05-2004, 06:53 PM
Umm I loved that grape Juice It was always slightly frozen, very slushy and refreshing :0

The Lovely Mrs. tod
11-05-2004, 08:59 PM
Oh wow, yes...it was right by the Fantasyland Theater. On a hot day there was nothing like a half hour in the theatre watching "Mickey's Trailer" followed by a stop for Welch's red grape juice.

I loved those days!

Villains Fan
11-05-2004, 09:34 PM
I remember sitting there watching the cartoons and thinking that grape juice was the best thing in the world! I was sorry after they remodeled FL and it was gone :crying:

KarenW2
11-05-2004, 11:18 PM
Yes, I also remember the great grape juice bars! We usually had a ride on the carousel, then had the juice bars, then went inside and watched the shows in the theatre there. I always think of my youth & Disneyland when I buy the juice bars at Von's!

Of course, those frozen juice bars were second only to the wonderful tuna fish sandwiches we used to get from the Chicken of the Sea pirate ship!!

foolish mortal
11-06-2004, 04:00 PM
I remember the grape juice, but now I'm nervous. They will bring back our Doles won't they? Lip quivers.

D-lander 1956
11-07-2004, 08:16 AM
Absolutely-how could we old timers forget!

My cousin and I would make it a ritual to buy the frozen grape popscicle and see who could produce the "purple-y-ist" tongues and lips for the day!

And does anyone remember the Frito Lay "volcano" in Frontierland near the shootin' gallery and the old Mexican restaurant. You put in a coin and a bag of fritos would come down a chute. I kind of remember it, but my husband swears it was there and would always buy his fritos!

Opus1guy
11-09-2004, 12:24 AM
They had a great mural of the Pastoral Symphony characters with their grape harvest!

Painted by Disney Legend Bill Justice.

spectromen
11-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Sadly, I have no recollection of Welch's, however, I really seem to recall a more generic juice bar in front of Alice in Wonderland, before the teacups were relocated there. Seems it sold frozen orange juice bars mainly. Ring any bells? :confused:

Dlandmom
11-09-2004, 07:54 AM
Why can't I remember it? I practically lived at Disneyland in the 80's. I'll bet I didn't spend much time at Fantasyland back then since I was in my Space Mountain years (well, I'm still in my Space Mountain years, but I digress...)!

Does anyone have a picture of it to jog my memory?

ZenMickey
11-09-2004, 08:16 AM
I have very fond memories of the Welch's stand and the Fantasyland theater. It was such a nice break from the sun- take in a few Mickey and Donald cartoons (back then they weren't even on video) and indulge in a nice, cold grape juice afterwards. Aaahhhhhh..........

AlxVision360
11-09-2004, 02:03 PM
Look in the bottom lefthand side of the photo on the Yesterland site HERE (http://www.yesterland.com/fltheater.html). You can see the familiar Welch's sign and the stand itself is I believe under that left side canopy behind the sign. Ahh, the memories.

Dlandmom
11-09-2004, 03:39 PM
Man, doesn't ring a bell with me at all...how could I not remember such a thing? I LOVE Welch's! Oh well, guess I didn't go to Fantasyland much back then....

Opus1guy
11-10-2004, 03:27 PM
As white T-Shirt and rolled-up cuff Blue Jean kids of the '50s...it seemed we almost always returned from Disneyland with a few purple stains on those white T-Shirts.

Apparently they were near impossible to get out, and my mom was none to happy to see we had visited Welch's again and had once again received our purple commemorative "tattoos" of the occasion. :)

I guess this is where I began my love of the grape. ;)

Dlandmom
11-10-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm still bummed that I don't remember this! I practically lived at DL in the late 70's-80's.

However, Opus1guy's last thread has prompted me to start a thread in the Lounge about his love of grapes.

AVP
11-10-2004, 04:00 PM
Yummmm.... I do remember this, but I also seem to remember that you could get orange juice popsicles there too.... Didn't they sell grape juice in plastic grape containers there? I can picture them displayed on ice - like the "ReaLemon" squeeze bottles?

AVP