PDA

View Full Version : WDTC Reveals 50th Plans to Travel Industry

MegaDisney
11-05-2004, 10:30 AM
I had the opportunity to attend a presentation about the 50th Anniversary plans at Disneyland at the Hyatt in Downtown Phoenix this evening!

It was really fun.

Held in the Regency Ballroom the presentation was informative, entertaining, heart warming and just a darn good time.

I showed up about 15 minutes early and I figured there would be TONS of people, but there were only around 40 standing in the lobby. I got my name tag from one of the Cast Members, and waited people watching till they opened the doors to the ballroom.

I was really overwhelmed when I went in! There was a huge stage with a 3-D DCA mural on the left and a 3-D Disneyland mural on the right that even included a model of the original Douglas Rocket and House of the Future from Tomorrowland!

The stage was set up as a "Club House" and the presentation was presented as a meeting of the "Magical Memories Club" The center of the stage was dominated by a large "jumbotron" with a seemingly live view of Main Street USA. The screen was the "window" of the clubhouse. There was a door and various Disney props onstage and a podium crafted after one of the turrets from Sleeping Beauty Castle.

In the hour before the presentation Disney had provided a wonderful array of food and drink. Pastas, Salads, Bengal BBQ like skewers, spring rolls, fruit cheese, and a fully stocked open bar! The crowd also began to grow and reach I would say around 500 people by the time the presentation started. The food was kept fresh and plentiful and the hotel staff was great!

They had a set up where you could sit in this really cool GOLD Autopia car and have your picture taken. More on that later.

I mingled, ate, and picked up some cool swag from the sponsors of the presentation, WDTC, Sea World, Universal Studios, All of the good neighbor hotels, etc.

I took my seat and on it I found my pledge card for the Magical Memories Club. The meeting was called to order by an actress who was the club archivist, and she introduced read the Mission Statement of the club, which for the life of me I cannot remember. She then introduced the club Grand Pooh-bah an actor with a golden fez hat with golden Mickey ears and an outlandish glittery get up, proudly displaying his "Disneyland Grand Pooh-bah" sash!

We then put our paper golden Mickey ears raised our right hands and took the membership Oath:

I (state your name) promise to remember...never to forget,
The warmth of a hug from Mickey Mouse,
The Power of a wish upon a star,
And the magic of a child's smile.

After that the minutes from the previous meeting were...sang! The Grand Pooh-bah and the Club Archivist sang a wonderful song "Remember" while a wonderful montage of video and still Disneyland Memories was played on the Jumbo Tron.

Next up was Reports from Other Chapters. The Grand Pooh-bah, called on video phone to the Grand Pooh-bah's of both WDW and the Cruise lines. Played by the same actor, each described the various ways those two resort properties were celebrating Disneyland's 50th.

I was having so much fun by now that I quit taking notes, so I will try and remember everything.

The club archivist was assisted by Merlin to showed us the new, 50 Years of Disneyland exhibit and film that will be house in the Opera House. One bit of news, the film will be hosted by Steve Martin who got his start less than 100 yards away at the Main Street Magic Shop.

They announced "Mickey's Toontown Morning Madness" new for 2005, guests traveling on a WDTC package get to enjoy ToonTown one hour before park opening. With a Ceremony to become a citizen of Toontown and packed with characters for the guests to enjoy without the crowds, this will be a very popular new feature!

Then one of the little green aliens from Toy Story, simply a puppet held up behind the model of the House of Tomorrow. One funny bit of dialogue here was the club Archivist asked the alien "Aren't you supposed to be in Tomorrowland helping Buzz defeat Zorg?" the alien replied, "We help Buzz defeat Zorg daily at 10:30, Noon, 2:30 and 4:00"

Buzz then joined us and showed us Astro Blasters, and a really cool blueprint of Space Mountain, which included a new logo!

Jiminy Cricket, the host of the new fireworks show "Remember" presented a preview of the new show that will include dialogue and sound from classic Disney attractions such as Pirates, Tiki Room, Indiana Jones, Star Tours, and the Haunted Mansion. Look for the show to start with Walt's opening day speech and the Announcement that the Disneyland Railroad is now arriving.....The attractions sounds and dialog will weave a magical rides in the sky tour of Disneyland. And as everyone knows some new acrobatic flying by Tink! One of the handouts has a really cool rendering of the Castle with pixie dust swirling around it.

Next up was Flik to tell us about DCA's Block Party Bash. A street party where guests can jump with toys, scream with Monsters and dance with Bugs. The showed us some cool concept art and the offical hat of the Bash, a orange traffic cone with the Block Party Bash Logo! This is an all Pixar parade/celebration and will include the Incredibles as well!

The big cheese was then introduced and he introduced us to Walt Disneys Parade of Dreams the biggest Parade in Disneyland History. While singing the Phil Collins song chosen for the parade we were treated to some shots of the floats under construction and some cool concept art. Mickey reminded us that dreams really do come true, just remember Walts dream of Disneyland and how wonderful it had become!

The Grand Pooh-bah then told us something. First he made us all promise not to tell anyone! He asked us if we remembered the GOLD Autopia Car that we all had our picture taken in. We all said yes, and then he told us about Disneyland's Golden Vehicles. Every attraction in the park for the celebration, which was there on opening day, will receive a special treatment. One of the ride vehicles will be transformed into a GOLD vehicle to symbolize its place in the park for 50 years. A gold teacup, Dumbo, Train Car, Jungle Cruise boat, Canal boat, Casey Jr. Circus Train car, and of course and Autopia car! Very cool news and I got to sit in the Gold Autopia Car. If the picture wasn't a Polaroid I would upload it and let you see, the paint job is AMAZING!

With that news the entire cast sang and danced to another rendition of "Remember" and the show climaxed with confetti and streamer cannons!

Good Job Disney and thanks for the wonderful evening!

stan4d_steph
11-05-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the fantastic report! I can't wait to get there to see it. :)

cstephens
11-05-2004, 10:53 AM
MegaDisney - Thanks for all the information. I am really excited about what's happening next year and looking forward to all the new stuff.

sandcat
11-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Great article. sounds like a lot of fun. I cant wait untill the 50th kick off on cinco de mayo which is coencidentaly the day my pass expires.

Surfingstitch
11-09-2004, 02:24 PM
Now I have to book my stay asap!!!

sediment
11-09-2004, 03:26 PM
The Grand Pooh-bah then told us something. First he made us all promise not to tell anyone!
We won't tell anyone, either!

tinklover25
11-10-2004, 12:14 PM
how did the blue prints for space mountain look? Very different? Is the seating going to be like MK?