PDA

View Full Version : "Believe" TONIGHT

FantasmicFanatic
11-04-2004, 09:09 AM
So who else is gonna sneak down there for tonights first of the season (and maybe even first ever since I hear it is sort of a new show) show of Believe? I think it is kind of their last test test run for the big official openeing tomorrow when DL offically becomes the Merriest Place in Anaheim...er on Earth. Well I am debating making the quick trip down there from L.A. to catch it. Am I the only loser who will be doing this?

FF

JTSnowFan
11-04-2004, 09:12 AM
I'll be there as well. If I were any of you, I'd definately go. There's going to be less people tonight than any other firework night. And you can say you were the first people to see this years fireworks!

sunnyca
11-04-2004, 09:12 AM
i wish i could, but i have an early meeting tomorrow. guess, that means i'll have to catch it on friday.....schucks!

cstephens
11-04-2004, 09:16 AM
So who else is gonna sneak down there for tonights first of the season (and maybe even first ever since I hear it is sort of a new show) show of Believe?

Is it really supposed to be a different version of the Holiday Believe show? I don't recall having heard that. I'm one of the minority that doesn't love the holiday version. I'll watch it maybe once during the season (if that), but that's enough for me, whereas I loved Believe.

Wesley815
11-04-2004, 10:05 AM
I'll be there! Although since this is a more of a test "soft opening" show there's still a chance it won't happen, but I was happy to see it listed on www.disneyland.com (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/calendar/index?selectedDate=11/04/2004) so I hope everything goes as planned.

Disneyland park
Park Hours: 10:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Entertainment
"Believe...In Holiday Magic" Fireworks Spectacular - 8:00 PM

I think some people are saying it may be a little different since the park has been using air launchers. IMO I don't think there will be any huge changes in the show... maybe a couple small things, or certain shells added/moved a little. No one knows until tonight... :)

HorizonsA
11-04-2004, 10:12 AM
Will the fireworks show still go on if it is raining? Or would it be cancelled. I know it is supposed to rain tomorrow and that's when I'm planning on going. Does anyone know.

Wesley815
11-04-2004, 10:42 AM
Will the fireworks show still go on if it is raining? Or would it be cancelled. I know it is supposed to rain tomorrow and that's when I'm planning on going. Does anyone know.It's very hard to tell what will happen. I've seen the fireworks in light rain, but then sometimes I've seen them decide not to. There's many factors they look at and normally won't decide until a few min. before show time since the park would like the show to go on if it can. Wind can really affect the things to, sometimes it won't even feel that windy on the ground but "due to winds high above the Magic Kingdom" (as the annoument says) they will stop the show.

Unless it's *pouring* rain and windy all day long then most of the time they'll announce all entertainment/parades have been canceled. That's pretty rare though and I think it only happened once or twice last year.

Darkbeer
11-04-2004, 11:33 AM
In light rain, the Fireworks would happen, but not the snow effect. Disney legal dept. is worried that the snow bubbles could make the walkways a bit slippery, and doesn't want to open themselves up to lawsuits.....

This has happen before....

FantasmicFanatic
11-04-2004, 01:12 PM
Sounds like a few will be there, anyone wanna try and meet. I'm not prolly not gonna get there until like 7:30ish. Anyone know a great spot to meet and see the fireworks? Like maybe the statue in the hub? Thoughts....

FF

Darkbeer
11-04-2004, 07:53 PM
Just got back, lots of GOOD photos taken tonight :fez:

Same soundtrack as last year, the fireworks seemed about the same... they did use some snow machines around the castle, but for some reason, they failed to use them along Main Street. At about 7:15, the light stands were raised on top of the Main St. buildings, but at about 7:45, they were lowered (the snow machines are attached to the top of the light stands)....

But the show is as good as last year, and the castle looked good in lights....

I am loading photos this evening, but a few are already up at my site (see below):D

DCAWhites
11-04-2004, 09:28 PM
Ummm, it did snow over main street. Seems like it snowed mostly on one side though. Some of the now machines in the hub were not working though, or working poorly. The show seemed a bit different this year. I remembered a "dradel, dradel, dradel" part from last year that i didn't notice tonight. Also some firework effects are new, they really took advantage of the fan effect and had multiple fans going at once.

bandboy1985
11-04-2004, 11:54 PM
dreidel, dreidel is still in the show, just as it ever was.

i watched the show from the rear of the hub (nearest to the castle), surrounded by pyro technicians and execs, and we chatted for several minutes after as we exchanged feedback.

-there were audio problems, and levels need to be adjusted (treble in the hub was almost non-existant, and the whole thing sounded quite muddled to us)
-a few shells (50-100) were missing from the first act of the show
-while the overall look and feel of the show is the same, the details in firing and placement of shells have become more elaborate and intricate. the second act is especially breathtaking (after silent night- the carol of the bells to the end of the show finale is deemed act II), and the fireworks in this segment are much better visually- "witty" was the word bandied about.)
-the pyro engineers have done an amazing job of re-creating the show with a different technology and new, lower launching heights. the best elements are not compromised, and the show's former weak spots are enriched and strengthened.
a quick example: where there was one, single fan effect from behind the castle before, there are now moments in the show where the two side launch towers shoot fans that radiate towards center, or sweep together in tandem in addition to or augmenting the central fan. when the central fan is paired with the radiating side fans sweeping into center, it makes an especially beautiful and kinetic "frame" for the castle.
-tonight's snow effect was understandably not the best ever; they are considering adding additional machines throughout the hub to get better coverage and make it look more organic and less patchy.

overall, don't be worried about any changes made to the show. it's still visually stunning and is, from a critical standpoint, better than before!

AaronInCal
11-05-2004, 12:32 AM
I agree, Believe was good tonight. You could tell it was the first show since the timing was off a bit in a few areas. Most obvious to me (a firework geek here) was the low-level fireworks they fire from right behind Toontown were smaller and appeared to produce less smoke.. I thought I read somewhere they were also putting air launchers on the "9-line" towers as well? Anyone know if they did? In any rate, the first few shows are always being tweaked as they get everything back down after doing Imagine all summer. I look forward to seeing this fireworks show again and again! :)

stan4d_steph
11-05-2004, 06:28 AM
Awww. Sounds great. I'm sad that I'm missing it again this year. :crying: I love being on Main St. and watching the "snow" fall.

bandboy1985
11-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Most obvious to me (a firework geek here) was the low-level fireworks they fire from right behind Toontown were smaller and appeared to produce less smoke.. I thought I read somewhere they were also putting air launchers on the "9-line" towers as well? Anyone know if they did?

they did. that's why the reconstruction was so extensive, it was a shift in technology.

itig
11-05-2004, 12:08 PM
I agree, Believe was good tonight. You could tell it was the first show since the timing was off a bit in a few areas. Most obvious to me (a firework geek here) was the low-level fireworks they fire from right behind Toontown were smaller and appeared to produce less smoke.. I thought I read somewhere they were also putting air launchers on the "9-line" towers as well? Anyone know if they did? In any rate, the first few shows are always being tweaked as they get everything back down after doing Imagine all summer. I look forward to seeing this fireworks show again and again! :)

Man...I can't wait for this! The first time we saw it was when my oldest was only 18 months old. He loved it and I'll never forget the look on his face when the snow started to fall. Only 4 weeks left to wait....

LoveDL
11-06-2004, 12:26 PM
We were there, what a GREAT surprise! We were on our way out of the park and noticed people just sitting around, just about that time they announced the sneak preview of the fireworks show for the guests that were still there. It really is breathtaking and I always get teary-eyed watching! :)
Dawn

Wendi
11-06-2004, 10:11 PM
I was there. It was a really nice show... I've never been in Disneyland for the snow before. I have a couple of things that weren't so great though. On Thursday night I was right in front of the castle... in the center of the star in fact. The fireworks were great from that location, but the snow was lacking. There were snow machines on either side, but really there were just two "lines" of snow, it didn't flow around the area... not enough IMO. My other disappointment was in the placement of the fireworks themselves. I expected them to be centered on the castle. I assumed that since Thursday's show was a sneak peak and they called it a test run to test "some" of the effects of the show that the "real" show would have been bigger. I thought that they were just doing fireworks on one side of the castle that night, but the following night they would shoot them on both sides. Not so... we stood on Main Street in front of the Penny Arcade and most of the fireworks were blocked by a tree! Most of the people on Main Street were pretty surprised that the view was almost totally blocked. The snow from Main Street though... was glorious!!! Really, truly beautiful... made me cry, yep!

I'm just glad I got the chance to see the show twice... once for the fireworks, and then the next night for the snow. Just a bummer that they couldn't seem to combine the two as well as I'd hoped.

lisap
11-07-2004, 05:35 AM
The fireworks were great from that location, but the snow was lacking. There were snow machines on either side, but really there were just two "lines" of snow, it didn't flow around the area... not enough IMO.

We were in that spot Friday, and I agree with you about the lack of snow by the castle. Pretty sparse!

When we were heading back to Main St. while the song was still playing and the snow was still falling, we stopped and watch a snow machine a little bit in front of Coke Corner that was spewing out so much snow it looked like an overflowing washing machine. The peope in it's path had big piles of foam in their head--it was so funny. :) So I'm guessing they will adjust the snow levels as they work the kinks out.

Dlandmom
11-07-2004, 07:22 AM
I saw it Saturday night. I thought it was just okay...I mean, it was really beautiful and all, but I like Believe better.

And, I agree with the comments about the fireworks off to the side. I was standing about 15 feet in front of the tree looking toward the castle...the fan effects were great, but I missed the bottom half of the fireworks because I was blocked by trees and the top of Main Street. That was really disappointing (so was the dad who showed up 1 minute before the fireworks began, and when the lights went out proceeded to hoist his son onto his shoulders thereby blocking the view of the group who had been standing patiently waiting for the fireworks...me included). The snow was cool, as always!

Chris Lang
11-07-2004, 07:57 AM
For those of us who can't get down to the park, we have a complete video of Friday night's show available at:

http://www.visionsfantastic.com/visions/dlr/main/shows.html

Enjoy!

Chris