PDA

View Full Version : sign language

junecleaver
11-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Ah I finally figured out how to post!!!
My daughter (1 1/2) uses sign language. Does anyone know the signs for the Characters??? The only one I know is for Mickey.

sdfilmcritic
11-02-2004, 11:47 PM
I would imagine you would have to spell out the letters for the name individually like I've seen used for people's names.

junecleaver
11-03-2004, 06:20 AM
Mickey's sign is not actually finger spelled (as I was taught anyway). People you are familiar with usually have a "nick name". Mickey's is the sign for M held in big arcs forming mouse ears on top of your head. This is then followed by the mouse sign. (your index finger touching your nose with a brushing motion). I hear some of the characters sign, does anyone know which ones?

stan4d_steph
11-03-2004, 06:42 AM
Mickey's sign is not actually finger spelled (as I was taught anyway). People you are familiar with usually have a "nick name". Mickey's is the sign for M held in big arcs forming mouse ears on top of your head. This is then followed by the mouse sign. (your index finger touching your nose with a brushing motion). I hear some of the characters sign, does anyone know which ones?I bet AVP does, but she's on a cruise ship right now. She'll probably chime in when she gets back online. :)

Many of the characters know sign. If they know it and see your daughter signing, they will sign back to her. You might ask at City Hall the day of your visit if you want to make sure to encounter certain characters. Cast members who know sign will have an icon indicating it on their name badges. Have a good time!

MammaSilva
11-03-2004, 07:24 AM
Ok this list isn't by any means the definative one but these are the characters we've had use sign with my daughter and other kids I've taken that signed:

Alice
Mad Hatter
Hook (yep even with the hook!)
Smee
Cinderella
Aura
Belle
Pocahantas
Ariel
Gaston
The EVIL Queen (she was so cool

Now, some of them were very 'limited' in their skills it was pretty obvious, but they could speak to the kids and that was what mattered! Obviously none of the characters with paws or 'big big hands' could sign well but even Mickey and Minnie can sign I love you and do! Like someone else said, I think you just have to stop by City Hall and ask, and I'm not sure they would have a complete list of which characters in the park that day can sign since it seems that CM's work hard to pick up skills that may not qualify them as fluent but at least they make the effort!

mad4mky
11-03-2004, 08:09 AM
We used sign when my middle daughter was little (she has Down syndrome).

Cinderella...and Susie Mouse (and the other mouse with her... I am not sure of the name)...all three would sign to her.

Cap'n Hook signed as well.

Course, this was quite a few years ago. :)

sdfilmcritic
11-03-2004, 11:17 PM
That's so cool that some of the characters can sign back.

11-05-2004, 05:57 AM
I also want to chime in and say that the characters want to interact! My brother, a non-verbal adult autistic, found characters that would wait while he talked to him with his Cannon Communicator.