PDA

View Full Version : A Main Street Window for C.V. Wood?

coachmcguirk
11-02-2004, 06:12 AM
It appears that Jim Hill has begun a campaign to get Disneyland's "master builder" a window on Main Street USA.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1157

What do you guys think? Does he deserve it?

sdfilmcritic
11-02-2004, 06:29 AM
I say they should do it for nostalgia sake.

fjhuerta
11-02-2004, 06:39 AM
Apparently, Walt Disney didn't want a tribute for him in Disneyland. Who are we to decide otherwise?

sdfilmcritic
11-02-2004, 06:41 AM
It's not a matter of we deciding, it's a matter of eBay deciding for the company. :p

coachmcguirk
11-02-2004, 07:53 AM
It's not a matter of we deciding, it's a matter of eBay deciding for the company. :p

Yeah...how long til a Main street window goes up for auction. Then we can just buy one for CV.

splashmtngurl
11-02-2004, 02:59 PM
he deserves it! if disneyland had ended up in the location it was orgianlly planned to go we wouldnt have DCA, DTD, all the hotels or the strawberry field which disney has yet to build up. I think we can all say that its current location was a better choice. He was a big founder in disney's history, he SHOULD HAVE HIS OWN WINDOW :D

Sheila
11-02-2004, 03:40 PM
There are a ton of deserving folks who have not received a Window on Main Street, namely Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston** and even worse, Sam McKim, who contributed many of the building designs for Main Street, etc.

So C.V. Woods joins an illustrious group of gentlemen not yet recognized.

** Yeah, I know Thomas and Johnston didn't work directly on the design of DL, but their drawings for the Disney animated classics surely provided the template/ideas for the various DL attractions, etc....

Sheila

sediment
11-02-2004, 04:47 PM
Oh, I don't know. Jim might be making up all that hogwash.

There are more windows at WDW. He'll probably get one there instead. (Don't try to use logic. Still waiting for that desk to return!)

Mark Goldhaber
11-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Well, Woody was indeed critical to the early days of Disneyland. However, he didn't really like being part of "Walt's team" and wanted to lead his own team at Disneyland, running his own shop and bringing in his own people, which reminded Walt of what happened when he was cheated out of Oswald the Lucky Rabbit. So Walt decided that it was more important to have someone that was willing to work as part of a team instead of putting his own profile out front. Woody and a number of the Texas boys that he brought in were gone pretty quickly after that.

But beyond that, I think that one of the major reasons why you will never see a window for C.V. Wood on Main Street at Disneyland is because Disney is highly unlikely to honor a rival. Why should they put up something memorializing the founder of Six Flags?