PDA

View Full Version : Bars and football?

missm
11-01-2004, 08:20 PM
My friends and I will be in DL soon and I need to know if anyone has been to any bars in the surrounding area. We are staying at the Carousel and would love to be walking distance. I know about the bars in DTD but would like some non-Disney variety. The guys would like to watch football and we all play pool and darts so that would be nice. DLR closes early while we will be there so we just need some options for our nights. Also, any other things in the area that is interesting would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

sdfilmcritic
11-01-2004, 11:49 PM
Well, I don't personally know of any bars in the area that are strictly just bars with the pool tables and dart boards. But I do know of Hooters, if your group doesn't mind substituting beautiful women in short shorts in lieu of the billiards and darts. But otherwise Hooters does serve beer, food, and several televisions (many of them are usually tuned on to whatever hot sport game is currently airing).

If your group happens to be interested in such a unique place (tongue in cheek) it's located on Katella really close to the Arrowhead Pond where the Ducks play their home games. The parking lot and restaurant is located within a business park with a really tall business building, so don't miss your driveway.

DISNEYloon
11-02-2004, 08:52 AM
what's wrong with ESPN Zone?

stan4d_steph
11-02-2004, 08:55 AM
There's a Gordon Biersch over near the Pond. They have their own microbrews and some tasty food too.

missm
11-02-2004, 09:16 AM
what's wrong with ESPN Zone?

Nothing is wrong with it, we just were looking for variety on the trip. Hey sdfilmcritic, what's the name of that bar by Arrowhead Pond?

missm
11-02-2004, 09:16 AM
There's a Gordon Biersch over near the Pond. They have their own microbrews and some tasty food too.

Oops, is that the one sdfilmcritic is talking about. Microbrews would be great.

sediment
11-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Walking distance won't be easy. How about $5 cab fare?

Try the internet, if you have a connection.

I found:
1. Good Ol Boys Saloon & Sports Bar, 10624 Katella, Anaheim.
2. Press Box Sports Bar and Grill, 480 Glassell, Anaheim.
3. National Sports Grill, 101 E Sandpointe, Santa Ana.

I know nothing about these.

missm
11-02-2004, 10:48 AM
Sediment-
I did all the internet searches and mapped them from the hotel. Thanks for doing that for me though. I was wondering if anyone had been to any great bars in the area, that way I would have some knowledge of them before hand. I knew it was kind of a long shot question considering you can't take a family to a bar and DL is a family place.

stan4d_steph
11-02-2004, 11:05 AM
Oops, is that the one sdfilmcritic is talking about. Microbrews would be great.No, he's talking about Hooters.

Emma
11-02-2004, 11:52 AM
My husband and I went to the ESPN Zone and watched the Seahawks's game.. We had lunch, and they let us sit in there until the game was over.

sediment
11-02-2004, 12:11 PM
Sediment-
I did all the internet searches and mapped them from the hotel. Thanks for doing that for me though. I was wondering if anyone had been to any great bars in the area, that way I would have some knowledge of them before hand. I knew it was kind of a long shot question considering you can't take a family to a bar and DL is a family place.
I don't know what makes a bar a "great one" anymore for people. Married with kids will do that. I can buy a case a good beer and invite friends over cheaper than I can do at a bar.
For me, I like "Howl at the Moon" at CityWalk near Universal Studios. Dueling (and harmonious) pianos playing any song you request (for an incentive) and in case someone has a birthday/bachelorette-party/whatever-occasion, that person gets a special somewhat humiliating, unDisney song.
For me for football, the number of screens in the same general viewing direction is good, the number of drunken Raider fans is bad.
Some of us men still have our primal Sunday football needs. I just don't live that close to OC to know of anything that special.

missm
11-02-2004, 02:42 PM
...located on Katella really close to the Arrowhead Pond where the Ducks play their home games.

Do you know the name of this bar?

TP2000
11-02-2004, 02:55 PM
Do you know the name of this bar?

I think he's talking about JT Schmids. It's on Katella a few blocks past the Orange Freeway, right across the street from the Pond. http://www.jtschmids.com/home.html

You might also want to consider Dave & Busters at The Block at Orange. http://www.theblockatorange.com There's a bunch of other restaurants, brewpubs, nightclubs, bars and bowling alleys at The Block too. It's the same distance from Disneyland as JT Schmids.

But as for sports bars around Disneyland, ESPN Zone is about the only thing going in the immediate Disneyland area, except for the small bars and quiet cocktail lounges in the big hotels.

missm
11-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Thank you so much TP2000. We will definetly be checking both of those bars out.

sediment
11-02-2004, 04:51 PM
I've been to JT Schmids.

missm
11-02-2004, 06:51 PM
I've been to JT Schmids.

How was it?

Kitsune_SD
11-02-2004, 07:19 PM
You might also want to consider Dave & Busters at The Block at Orange. http://www.theblockatorange.com There's a bunch of other restaurants, brewpubs, nightclubs, bars and bowling alleys at The Block too. It's the same distance from Disneyland as JT Schmids.

Dave and Busters has billiards, but be prepared to pay an arm and a leg for your table rental. I have only rented tables at the one here in San Diego, so I can't vouch for the D&B at the Block having tables but they most likely do... Here in SD the tables are beautiful, all the cues are straight and you get good drink & appetizer service in the billiards room. Last time I checked the prices for table rentals it was between $8-12 per hour depending on the day and time of rental, you would have to check and see what the going rate is at the Block.

VickiC
11-02-2004, 08:11 PM
It's not walking distance but I like Heroes in Fullerton. The whole downtown fullerton area is pretty cool actually, nothing like it in Anaheim.

sediment
11-03-2004, 07:46 AM
How was it?
Eh. As I said, I'm not much the barring type.
Had a beer there before a Pond event about four years ago. Not really a sports bar as I'm guessing you're looking for.
Try "English Pubs." Guaranteed to get at least darts that way.