PDA

View Full Version : Sub Ride Queue

SJSman
10-31-2004, 03:52 PM
If the subs DO open back up sometime soon, what do you think the ride queue will be like? I remember before that it was just a series of switch-backs underneath the monorail. Will this still work or will they have to create a new solution? I think a new idea will have to be developed. What do you think that solution will be?

Interesting topic, I thought.

stan4d_steph
10-31-2004, 03:53 PM
They'll have to move the Winner's Circle gift shop that was built in the old Subs queue area.

Merm8fan
10-31-2004, 05:24 PM
<<<Picturing people lined up on the Peoplemover/Rocket Rods track>>>

:~D

HorizonsA
10-31-2004, 05:58 PM
Well, I hope they make it cool looking instead of just ordinary switchbacks. Hope they put some theme into the line so it won't be totally boring. They're probably going to install Fastpass for that attraction, so they'll have to make a seperate line for that. Since it is going to be a Nemo theme, they should theme the que to the movie...only makes sense.

Pirate Girl
10-31-2004, 06:50 PM
Since it is going to be a Nemo theme, they should theme the que to the movie...only makes sense.

They could just have moniters throughout the queue that played the intire movie. The line could potentially be long enough when the attraction first opens... :D

sleepyjeff
10-31-2004, 06:53 PM
Make the Queue be part of the Attraction. Something like Star Tours or Indy, really get the people in the mood for the actual ride.

ModHatter
10-31-2004, 07:58 PM
Well, there's also the issue of the Monorail elevator taking up former queue space. I remember Al talking about the Subs coming back about the time that the new Monorail fleet comes home, in 2007, so they would be able to SOMEwhat improve the Sub queue, since the new Monorail would be getting a station upgrade anyway.

If I had unlimited money, I would redo the Subs in a major way. I would dig out the old queue area, so that the queue would be on a grade like Indy, and you would eventually walk into an airlock that would connect to a redesigned sub with side doors. That should adequately address any accesibility issues in the future.

But, in a more realistic world, I would revamp the FastPass system so that, for instance, if the park opens at 9, and the capacity of the ride is roughly 1,600 per hour, you give out 6,000 FPs for specific windows betweem 9 and 1. At about 12, you release another batch of 6,000 for 1-5, etc. Not sure what the actual numbers for this attraction would work out to, but the idea still has merits.

Otherwise, we'll probably just get another Matterhorn-style line.

myron61090
10-31-2004, 08:03 PM
i can imagine the queue to be indoors, well not really INdoors.. kinda like indy, only this time the queue slowly make it look like you are going down into the ocean. then you go back up to the normal land, all the themeing goes to waste then you board the sub the same way we used to do it.

i know...i am a bit pessistic :p

Susan L
11-01-2004, 03:46 PM
Just got back folks and we were told 3 different things about the sub ride.
1) they are doing research for Hong Kong Disney
2) they will never in a million years ever open up the sub ride again because it does not meet CA law in regards to the handicap or quality air
3) they are creating a Finding Nemo theme
Who knows what is going to happen with the ride.

ModHatter
11-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Just got back folks and we were told 3 different things about the sub ride.
1) they are doing research for Hong Kong Disney
2) they will never in a million years ever open up the sub ride again because it does not meet CA law in regards to the handicap or quality air
3) they are creating a Finding Nemo theme
Who knows what is going to happen with the ride.

Well, thehandicap accessibility argument is false. Just look at the Tarzan Treehouse and Main St. train station.

Air quality is an issue, but that would keep Autopia closed too. Emissions standards could certainly be met.

Testing for HKD is highly suspect, simply because this could be done at much less expense in a warehouse, and using an onstage area like the Sub Lagoon is the worst kind of "bad show" possible.

Nemo is the most likely candidate, but the hope is that it will actually get a Tomorrowland makeover instead of a Nemo one. When I was at the park Friday, it was simply reported, after a joke that "if you see a sub in the lagoon, there must be something wrong with your eyes," that testing is being done to bring back our subs, with a proposed start date of 2007. Sounds like an Al Lutz reader, and/or the story is correct.

Disneyfreak
11-01-2004, 10:32 PM
When they drain the lagoon they will expand into the lagoon I would imagine to give more room for a queue.

bandboy1985
11-01-2004, 11:21 PM
that would be pretty unlikely, since the track pattern for the cavern takes a straight shot out from cavern exit to dock. adding any sort of extension for depth on the side where the queue already is would create a course much more difficult to navigate at the conclusion of the ride.

attractions would kill them. i was actually back behind subs last tuesday, and let me just say they are hard at work in that back cavern; doing what i could only conjecture at. every light back there is fully functioning, however, and several boards that had become damaged in the catwalks have all been replaced or patched. but there is a sub in the rear dock that looks absolutely trashed. it looks like it's been open and has seen no care since september of '98.

ModHatter
11-01-2004, 11:30 PM
I thought it sounded pretty unlikely too, and haven't ever heard that put forward before. However, there is that second spur. I wonder how difficult it really would be to build the queue out one sub width into the lagoon and just use the second spur as the new primary dock.

Disneyfreak
11-02-2004, 08:44 PM
If you take into consideration how bad the condition of the track is in, they are going to replace it anyway with new track when they drain the lagoon, so why not move the track a little.