PDA

View Full Version : News from within... Nemo and Test Track?

Pages : [1] 2

DisneyDustin22
10-28-2004, 12:00 AM
Talked with some inside sources I have at the resort today. They slipped me some info that's on the "hush hush" as they put it. Told me about the subs coming back as a Finding Nemo attraction, which we kind of already suspected.

However, they also dropped word that recent news around the resort has the Tomorrowland overhaul in the coming years bringing a major E ticket to the resort. Test Track from Epcot would be landing somewhere in Tomorrowland at DL. From what they said it would consist of using the Innoventions building now combining with the existing layout, not track (since it needs a major redesign) of the old Peoplemover/Rocket Rod system. Which would use Innoventions as the show building and then rocket the cars out into Tomorrowland and they would speed around the track through the land. Anyone have further info on this or heard the rumor as well? Just curious. Seemed a little out there at first, but when I sat and thought about it, could actually be quite a unique addition to Tomorrowland.

Melaniee
10-28-2004, 12:01 AM
Oh that would be a huge hit with my family! Dh LOVES the subs...Ds LOVES Nemo (not the movie, too scarey, but the fish.)

BJW
10-28-2004, 12:30 AM
Dustin, regarding the Test Track rumour, I did hear about a year ago that Imagineers were spotted walking the old Rocket Rods track on two seperate occasions. On one occasion a Monorail driver freaked out and radioed security thinking a guest wondered out there. Both of these happened a few months apart and it seems like it was on Screamscape or Westcoaster, not sure. (I'll do some searching to see if I can find it.) Also, one Disney employee I talked to said something about adding a "tube" to one section of the track for a new ride. I posted this on mousepad and most padders thought the guy was "pulling my leg," so I just dismissed it as a prank. Who knows?

Regardless, with an attraction as bad as Innoventions that underperforms Lincoln and Tiki Room, not to mention sponsors pulling out, I doubt Disney will keep this attraction for long. So replacing it makes sense.

Toby
10-28-2004, 04:07 AM
I also heard the rumour about Test track, but instead I thought it will be built at DCA on the Timon parkinglot and will receive a CARS-theme overlay.
As for the Innoventions-building, please let Stitch The Great Escape be built!

jrad32
10-28-2004, 07:21 AM
First off how about an ORIGINAL new ride for TL instead of a rehash from the world?

A test track like ride system utilizing a new and improved Peoplemover track could be cool, but it should be themed appropriatley to TL. Maybe a test facility for mars rovers or something. A new and improved, Mission to Mars.

stan4d_steph
10-28-2004, 07:34 AM
I think Test Track would be a little redundant in Tomorrowland. DL already has Autopia for a ride that revolves around cars.

adriennek
10-28-2004, 07:37 AM
How big is Test Track? Where would it GO in TL? And isn't Test Track the ride that had ooldes of problems in Orlando and took forever to get open?

Adrienne

mad4mky
10-28-2004, 08:26 AM
How big is Test Track? Where would it GO in TL? And isn't Test Track the ride that had ooldes of problems in Orlando and took forever to get open?

Adrienne

I don't know if it has oodles of problems when it opened...but...Test Track is BIG. That track that wraps around the building in Epcot is huge.

I cannot imagine DL having the space to put in that track. :rolleyes:

olegc
10-28-2004, 09:19 AM
I think Test Track would be a little redundant in Tomorrowland. DL already has Autopia for a ride that revolves around cars.

Not only that, but another strong rumor was that the Autopia would already be revamped in 2006 to be themed to the "Cars" movie from Pixar. - That would put a lot more emphasis on the Autopia attraction and having a second car ride in place would split the theming and guest experience.

Also, the comment AVP made about sheer size of the attraction is right on. Remember, the cars on test track travel at 60MPH around an oval - that would NOT happen on the existing track of Rocket Rods (it could not even handle small bursts of 30MPH vehicles). You drive LA freeways - how big are those pillars that hold the flyover ramps? They are huge.

If it was built anywhere - it would have to be in the back of DCA... Maybe they can add a new land to DCA - LA Land - Smog, traffic, phony people... sorry, had to put that in....

Pirate Bill
10-28-2004, 09:34 AM
First off how about an ORIGINAL new ride for TL instead of a rehash from the world?
THANK YOU! I wholeheartedly agree!

merlinjones
10-28-2004, 10:36 AM
Wasn't Rocket Rods already the meltdown version of Test Track? I mean, unless they change the track completely, how is this different?

VickiC
10-28-2004, 10:47 AM
A Mars Rover ride would be awesome!

ModHatter
10-28-2004, 11:36 AM
Well, for one thing, I have to protest the Nemo thing as usual. I'm so beyond tired of ToonMorrowland. I guess all I can hope for is that Nemo SuperStar Subs will pay to get the ride rehabbed, and then when they ditch Nemo, it'll be that much easier to put a real Tomorrowland rideshow in its place.

Meanwhile... yeah, if you want to go 60mph, there are better ways to do it. I'm fine with a new ride taking over Innoventions and the PM track. I'd prefer it be Peoplemover, but I can adapt. But what happens with Rocket Tower? That's a LOT of clutter just to support the Absurditron that I've never in my life seen operate.

Disneyfreak
10-28-2004, 11:38 AM
First of all, what the heck is it with Disney being obsessed with pixar these days in the park. I mean this is tomorrowland not pixarland. I disagree with nemo, buzz, and any other pixar themed rides that they are planning because it just isnt right. It is basically saying we have no future and who cares about Walts vision. If they want this many stupid pixar rides make a pixarland and leave tomorrowland alone. In some ways I am glad Disney dumped pixar because that means that they cant install anymore of those dumb pixar blacklight rides.

My2kidsrule
10-28-2004, 12:01 PM
Can someone tell me how submarines relate to Tomorrow? I mean, really. Everyone wants Tomorrowland to be great again. And so do I, but bashing every idea there is just silly. I want the Tomorrowland Terrace back the way it used to be, but I know it won't be. But pining for Inner Space and the original subs? That's just looney talk. An updated Inner Space ride could be a lot of fun, but the subs were boooooooring. I know I'm incurring the wrath of the purists, but that's how I felt. I was 5 the first time I went on them, and I knew everything was fake. And it mattered even in 1978.

I do agree that the land needs major work and that hitching onto Pixar movies is dangerous, but please please please stop bashing people who like any idea that doesn't include the phrase "return things to the way they were." It will never be 1972 again. Never. So enjoy what's there, hope for the best for what's coming and let me have it for not being one of those who lives in my childhood.

I, instead, live in my children's childhoods. And you know what? They love Disneyland. Every square inch of the place. And that's more than good enough for me.

ModHatter
10-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Well, considering that 90% of the world's oceans have yet to be explored, that's pretty darned futuristic.

I don't know anyone who is saying the Subs should stay frozen in 1959. But to freeze them in 2003 when it's already 2004???

My2kidsrule
10-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Subs weren't futuristic in 1959, either, unless it was a ride to discover nuclear fusion.

Why oh why can't people just be optimistic about the fact that things are getting done there? It would appear that the dark days are ending, albeit slowly. Can't we all just enjoy the ride and instead of second-guessing, see where things end up?

mad4mky
10-28-2004, 12:46 PM
Not only that, but another strong rumor was that the Autopia would already be revamped in 2006 to be themed to the "Cars" movie from Pixar. - That would put a lot more emphasis on the Autopia attraction and having a second car ride in place would split the theming and guest experience.

Also, the comment AVP made about sheer size of the attraction is right on.

Did she write this in this thread?? :confused: I don't see it...

cstephens
10-28-2004, 02:07 PM
Did she write this in this thread?? :confused: I don't see it...

I'm thinking this is the confusing AVP and AdrienneK thing again, because it was AdrienneK who actually asked about the size of Test Track.

theEpiphany
10-28-2004, 03:19 PM
I also heard the rumour about Test track, but instead I thought it will be built at DCA on the Timon parkinglot and will receive a CARS-theme overlay.
As for the Innoventions-building, please let Stitch The Great Escape be built!

Have you been on it? I'd be curious to hear your take on it since I've heard nothing but dissapointment across the board pretty much.

How far in advance are people talking about Test Track. Pioneer just dumped a ridiculous amount of money to beef up there exhibit. Healthy U just opened up, it too has mucho $$$ invested in it.

From first hand experience. Don't trust entirely EVERYTHING that fumbles around the resort's CMs. A lot are ill-representing things that they too have picked up from the net. It tends to be like the classic game of Telephone. the message distorts as it's passed on.

There's one CM that's been telling everyone that they're expanding the park to put in the Hall of Presidents, getting rid of some of the backstage area. From what I can surmise he's been misreading or mishearing the original plans for liberty street back in 1958. When I explained this to him he said they were exanding the park beyond Toontown or NOS. AT that point you can sincerely bet I just closed my ears off and went on with my day.

-tE

Merm8fan
10-28-2004, 03:47 PM
I think subs still are kind of furturistic, at least as far as potential uses go. It is a form of transportation not many people experience, and it's true that the ocean is very mysterious and under-explored. Something to do with aquaculture (food production) or even colonizing the deep blue for habitation would seem more appropriate for TL. Though it is a bit "non-Disney," military technology for subs and underwater operations might be fascinating as well...

Theming it as NEMO doesn't seem futuristic, though - the movie has nothing to do with inventions, exploration of new "frontiers," or our outlook of the future in general.

I love the idea of having the subs (or a new attraction) in the TL pool again, but NEMO just doesn't sound right.

olegc
10-28-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm thinking this is the confusing AVP and AdrienneK thing again, because it was AdrienneK who actually asked about the size of Test Track.

the BIg reference was made by neither Adrienne - it was MAD4MKY respondingl to a quote from AdrienneK

Sorry for my haste in answering and not getting it right.. . :fez:

Disneyfreak
10-28-2004, 05:16 PM
Well at least the submarine voyage was a lot more futuristic then Nemo is. I just hope that they surprise us with an updated submarine voyage with new effects.

ModHatter
10-28-2004, 05:28 PM
Well at least the submarine voyage was a lot more futuristic then Nemo is. I just hope that they surprise us with an updated submarine voyage with new effects.

Yeah... seeing as how the box in the middle of the lagoon can't be permanent, I would LIKE to think that maybe Nemo was used just as an example, so that the funds could be approved. Once approved, it's the old switcheroo for a real theme. That's just my HOPE though, so far.

sediment
10-28-2004, 05:42 PM
(I've stated this before) It's possible to make a Sub ride that is similar to the "documentary" found on Finding Nemo, about the coral, and having the characters pop in for funny commentary.

At least DL has a sub ride. I notice that MP didn't have any pictures of the former sub ride at MK, but Kevin Yee's column at miceage has some gruesome photos.
The replacement of this Tomorrowland attraction is suspected to be: Hundred-Acre-Wood play area and meet-and-greet.