PDA

View Full Version : How does $159 for Grand Californian sound?

FoodLover
11-29-2001, 11:46 AM
Hi, all! I just found some fantastic rates for selected dates in the next two weeks at Disneyland hotels:

$93 for Paradise Pier
$121 for Disneyland Hotel
$159 for Grand Californian

Considering that the absolute lowest rate I've ever seen for GC before was $169 for Annual Passholders on selected Sunday nights, and that the rack rate is over $300 -- this is quite a deal! If you've been wanting to check out these hotels, now is the time.

Full write-up here:

http://www.mousesavers.com/dlresorts.html#expedia

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Lani
11-29-2001, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info, Mary! You've always got a sharp eye for finding those great deals for the parks, so I'm glad to see you posting about them here.

At $159 it's ALMOST good enough for me to try the Grand Californian. I'm finally getting used to paying three digits for a single night's stay! :D

innerSpaceman
11-29-2001, 12:36 PM
$160 for Grand Cal sounds great. However, I'm a local so I don't outlay any hotel costs outside of the days surrounding Disneyland Birthday. For 50th, I will be renting a huge suite at the Grand Cal and I think I'm looking at WAY more than $160 per night.

For all you out-of-towners, grab this rate. It's a beautiful hotel.

mad4mky
11-29-2001, 12:45 PM
I stayed at The Grand Californian back in Feb. Beautiful hotel. In fact, for me the best Hotel I have stayed in. Even better than the St. Francis and Mark Hopkins in S.F.

$159.00 a nite! Wow....everyone should go for it. Unfortunatly for us...we have a condo (time share) we stay at...bargain rates for a family of 5. Its no Grand Californian...but its very nice for us. Everyone....take advantage while you can!:)

hbquikcomjamesl
11-29-2001, 02:23 PM
My fall vacation this year, I visited Chicago for the first time, and (for the sake of being as close as possible to the Loop) stayed at the W Hotel. Great gobs of gooseflesh was it overpriced. :eek:

It might not have seemed so outrageous if they put as much effort and expense into housekeeping and billing as they put into mind-boggling, utterly useless amenities. But I was charged $169 per night for the first two nights, and $149 for the other two nights, for a room that was considerably smaller than what I got at the WDW All Star Music, or the Columbus in SF, or the Vagabond in Sacramento, or the Pioneer Square Hotel in Seattle. Hell, it wasn't any bigger than some Motel 6 rooms I'd stayed in!
The lobby of the W Hotel isn't so much a lobby with a bar in it as a cocktail lounge with a hotel front desk in it, with mood lighting and loud, boring music dominated by a mechanical-sounding drum track, audible in the elevator shaft to the sixth floor.
Tiny room, and yet it was equipped with a goodie basket and an honor bar, and the goodie basket included everything from cookies to clothing to an "intimacy kit" (but very little drawer space). I went to stick my underwear in the top nightstand drawer, and found that drawer occupied by:
A half-eaten box of Chips Ahoy cookies,
Not less than three Riccola wrappers,
A cheap giveaway cigarette lighter with German markings (in a nonsmoking room?!?)
What appeared to be an "instant shoeshine" kit, with German markings
A convention badge, with a German name on it.
all left by a previous guest. I left the drawer open, with a note on it, and a $2 tip to encourage the maid to do what she should have done before I'd set foot in the room. The next evening, the drawer was closed, its contents were untouched, the note was still there, but the tip wasn't. Then, my last morning in Chicago, my bill had been shoved under the door, and I found that they'd charged me for a goodie basket and honor bar I'd not used at all, and billed the last two nights not at the quoted rate of $149, but at $269. Fortunately that was corrected, but

NEVER stay at a W Hotel unless you're a tasteless, deep-pocketed yuppie on business!

So yes, I'd say $159 a night would be good for the GC

FoodLover
11-29-2001, 05:33 PM
Actually, at these rates, I'm seriously considering an overnight stay on Walt's birthday 12/5... maybe at the Disneyland Hotel, so I can get the full "walk in Walt's footsteps" effect! :-)

Mary
MouseSavers.com

lisap
11-30-2001, 06:26 AM
Mary--
Thanks for the tip on the Grand Ca. That deal was too good to pass up--even though they DO add 23.00 dollars in freakin' taxes per night! Looks like we are going --for the first time!! Whoopie!! I'm so excited. :D

mad4mky
11-30-2001, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by lisap
Mary--
Thanks for the tip on the Grand Ca. That deal was too good to pass up--even though they DO add 23.00 dollars in freakin' taxes per night! Looks like we are going --for the first time!! Whoopie!! I'm so excited. :D

Good for you! You'll love it. We had a room where the monorail went by. Never heard it! Very quiet rooms.:)

Not Afraid
11-30-2001, 08:57 AM
Mary--

Can we see you room?:) That's about as close as we're going to get to staying there. I can't justify even this great price when we live so close. Although I'd love to do it. (Honey?????)

zapppop
11-30-2001, 09:29 AM
I'll stay for that price but I'll need some company.

lisap
11-30-2001, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

Can we see you room?:) That's about as close as we're going to get to staying there. I can't justify even this great price when we live so close. Although I'd love to do it. (Honey?????)

hahaha sure, we'll charge 50 cents for each tour.

*here is the spacious bathroom...
*here is the coffee maker..
*Here are my holey pjs...

I was angling for a peek at jrob's room when he was staying there so I know exactly how you feel! :D We can't really justify staying there either, but the power of persuasion works wonders.....;) try it!

Not Afraid
11-30-2001, 10:03 AM
:D I'll get right on it!

JRob2k1
11-30-2001, 10:31 AM
I was angling for a peek at jrob's room when he was staying there so I know exactly how you feel! :D We can't really justify staying there either, but the power of persuasion works wonders.....;) try it!

Hey, I said party in JRob's room...but nobody came!:crying:

-JRob

lisap
11-30-2001, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by JRob2k1

Hey, I said party in JRob's room...but nobody came!:crying:

-JRob

I think Eandc was still thinking you were a serial killer at that point--

Just kidding :D
He is so scrupulous about being too forward with others...poor man, and he is married to me! I think I put him through agonies ;)

mad4mky
11-30-2001, 12:42 PM

I think Eandc was still thinking you were a serial killer at that point--

Just kidding :D
He is so scrupulous about being too forward with others...poor man, and he is married to me! I think I put him through agonies ;)

That's so interesting. I, of course don't know your sweet hubby...and its funny how people are different when they type away on a computer. But, I was surprised one evening to get an Instant Message from him (about NYPD Blue). I never use instant messaging...just never had any use for it. So, when it popped up... I thought, "wow, cool".
I didn't think he was too forward at all...just being nice, and friendly. Now, if I meet him in person, and he kicks or yells at me...my opinion might change.;)

lisap
11-30-2001, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by mad4mky

That's so interesting. I, of course don't know your sweet hubby...and its funny how people are different when they type away on a computer. But, I was surprised one evening to get an Instant Message from him (about NYPD Blue). I never use instant messaging...just never had any use for it. So, when it popped up... I thought, "wow, cool".
I didn't think he was too forward at all...just being nice, and friendly. Now, if I meet him in person, and he kicks or yells at me...my opinion might change.;)

What I meant was (and did not make my self clear at all) is that he is very sensitive about others being overbearing and presumptuous and he goes out of his way NOT to be like that. So sometimes he appears very cool and distant.
But you-all know him as I do...a silly, sweet, sarcastic marshmallow--so don't let his quiet manner fool you ;)

LIMANDL4EVA
11-30-2001, 09:59 PM
i actually heard the presidential suite is around, i dont remember but 500 and 2000 ring a bell, i know its a big difference, but either way, THATS EXPENSIVE

zapppop
11-30-2001, 10:04 PM
If she's cute and friendly, I'll specially request maid service !