PDA

View Full Version : Curious for your reaction [Soarin' CA and FL]

Pages : [1] 2

ralfrick
10-26-2004, 04:06 PM
On a WDW site I visit, there is often discussion about the fact that Soarin' will use the same film as DCA. During one of these, I saw the following statement, implying that the Mouse will spend $$$ in DL, but won't for WDW.

"Why the hell didn't they film Florida for the ride? What, they don't want to shell out the $$$ for a new film, but will gladly redesign DCAs ToT???"

I thought that statement was hilarious, and was curious about anyone else's reaction?

Cheers

splashmtngurl
10-26-2004, 04:08 PM
thats aweful. I dont even know what to say about such stupidity. The only thing i can think of is that WDW has had a lot more money invested into it then DL (recently at least, i think) and perhaps they are realising that DL and DCA especially could use some updates.

JTSnowFan
10-26-2004, 04:12 PM
That is quite strange. I did hear the same thing, about using the California footage for the Florida version of Soarin' (And, to me, its strange to simply call is "Soarin'" when in fact you are soaring over the state of CA). But I also heard that after a few years, they'll probably change it to footage of Florida. Its all a possibility. And as for the ToT in DCA, I heard its pretty much exactly the same, except for the fact that the car doesn't physically come out into the hotel hallways (I guess its supposed to move forward?). And I also heard that the reason for that was because that is why the Florida one breaks down so much. So by not doing it at DCA, it would possibly prevent unwanted breakdowns. Makes sense.

Andrew
10-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Wouldn't "Soarin' over Florida" be kind of boring? The most exciting thing in the state is WDW, and by definition you're already there if you're on the ride.

Darkbeer
10-26-2004, 04:21 PM
Actually, there was quite a few cost savings in the DCA version...

The Queue, especially the outdoor part...

Less shafts...

No need to have "cars" that can move along a floor

The load/Unload area was designed to use less CM's...

It has been reported that about $30 million was saved due to the changes...

Andrew
10-26-2004, 04:27 PM
Less shafts...

No need to have "cars" that can move along a floor
... a huge loss, IMO.

VickiC
10-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Wouldn't "Soarin' over Florida" be kind of boring? The most exciting thing in the state is WDW, and by definition you're already there if you're on the ride.

That was my thought. Florida is pretty flat and while pretty does not have all the spectacular contrasts of California neither does it have many places to hang glide from!

mystycalchyk
10-27-2004, 11:32 AM
My thought is that why wouldn't people in Florida want to fly over California? It makes much more sense to me that people visiting California may have already seen the things shown in the movie (maybe not at that angle though) and although they enjoy the film it might be cooler if it were of things they hadnt already seen....but people in WDW may not have ever visited California and therefore it would be a bigger hit there.
Bizarre.
Guess people are going to complain no matter what. It's a great attraction and I think it will be a big hit in WDW.

TP2000
10-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Florida has some very nice people, and I'm sure they've added some nice things to our country. A lot of the work on the Space Program comes to mind. Also 1990's latin pop music, and grapefruit.

But from the air that entire state is flat, ugly and boring. It's very uniformly green, which can be pretty up close, but the tallest land masses and topography in many parts of the state are graded highway overpasses. It's just a greener version of Kansas, with flat and featureless beaches on three sides.

WDI could also film a new version of Soarin' called "Soarin' Over Asphalt", but they won't. And that's mostly for the same reasons WDI will never film a "Soarin' Over Florida" version of the ride.

ModHatter
10-27-2004, 12:12 PM
Regarding ToT... yes, the outdoor queue in DMGM is nice, but ultimately, DCA doesn't have the expansion capabilities of the Florida parks, so I would rather see the simplified queues and keep that land available for more rides and better infrastructure in our limited space.

As for shafts... don't we have 3 to their 2? I seem to recall they had 4 boarding areas to our 6, and I was pretty sure that there are only 2 shafts.

When I heard that the 5th Dimension room wasn't in the DCA version, I wasn't too upset. The stars effect was there, and that was the part I cared about. I thought the car moving into the 5th Dimension Room was an okay effect, but they ended up not doing much with it.

As for WDW Soarin', I'd LIKE to think that, rather than create a Florida film, they would use the Land theme to show us a quick trip all around the US. Flying over the Mighty Mississip, through mesas, into the Grand Canyon, over the farms of America's Heartland, etc. You could maybe still end at Disneyland and use that footage.

Lekta
10-27-2004, 02:25 PM
Great sig Mod!

Disneyphile
10-27-2004, 03:17 PM
Well, considering DL seems to have gotten shafted for new attractions over the last 10 years, I'd say it's nice to see a "cookie-cutter" copied attraction being placed in WDW. I think it's about time, and only fair. Just my opinion.

ModHatter
10-27-2004, 06:09 PM
Great sig Mod!

If you like that, you should have seen my plans for Halloween...

Disneyfreak
10-27-2004, 06:14 PM
Well, considering DL seems to have gotten shafted for new attractions over the last 10 years, I'd say it's nice to see a "cookie-cutter" copied attraction being placed in WDW. I think it's about time, and only fair. Just my opinion.

Exactly, Disneyland and DCA deserves way more at this point then WDW does. The California parks are really getting the scraps from WDW. Even our version of TOT isnt as good as the one in WDW.

Mark Goldhaber
10-27-2004, 07:19 PM
As we've discussed on the other site (WDWMagic, right?), they will have the California film when it opens as a "gift" from the Disneyland Resort. (Just like Cinderellabration is a gift from Tokyo and the Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Spectacular is a gift from Paris.) There will be a new film (Soarin' Over the U.S., according to Dave Smith) in 2007 for Epcot's 25th anniversary. By naming the attraction Soarin', they don't have to change the name when they change the film, saving lots of money on signage, park maps, advertising, etc.

ModHatter
10-27-2004, 07:27 PM
See, now that makes perfect sense. Now we just need to make sure the Land pavilion doesn't get horribly disfigured in the process. And in my book, that just means not messing up Livin'.

sambo
10-29-2004, 05:54 PM
I think I don't care what movies they show in Florida...

Lekta
10-29-2004, 07:17 PM
If you like that, you should have seen my plans for Halloween...

Ohhh DO tell!

DisneyDustin22
10-30-2004, 10:11 AM
I saw Soarin over Florida last week, the new film they shot for the attraction. Warning...spoilers!!!

We take off from Kennedy Space Center...(music)"da da da...." Atlantic Ocean!....da da da.....Gulf of Mexico!....da da da....Georiga!...da da da....look the florida keys!...da da da...a retirement community...da da da...and we land safely at Epcot Center...da da da!

:)

-by the way this was meant to be humorous, for those of you on mouseplanet without a sense of humor. Personally, I am up in the air about the soarin ride down there. could it have a new film? yes, but then people who havent been to california wouldnt have the chance to see the vast beauty it holds. Who knows. Hail Disney!

SallySkellington
10-30-2004, 10:11 AM
"Why the hell didn't they film Florida for the ride? What, they don't want to shell out the $$$ for a new film, but will gladly redesign DCAs ToT???"

I don't even know how to respond to that. :|

adriennek
10-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Ohhh DO tell!

But not on this thread or in this forum. Thank you.

Adrienne K

ModHatter
10-30-2004, 01:05 PM
But not on this thread or in this forum. Thank you.

Adrienne K

Yup, sent it as a private message. But thanks anyway.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
10-30-2004, 01:48 PM
Has this person ever been to DL? Do they realize that WDW has MUCH more than DLR has?

dlazechk
11-01-2004, 10:05 PM
my guess is that the film will be soaring over america. towards that end, on our drive to wdw this christmas from alberta, we will be stopping to look at the gateway arch in st. louis. i believe that flying through the arch is one of the obvious choices.

lilouisianagal
08-19-2005, 02:49 PM
From what I've heard the new film will be a world view (including US).