PDA

View Full Version : They've gotta do something about the Haunted Mansion line

CoasterChickie
10-25-2004, 10:09 PM
Did any of you who were at DL this past weekend see how congested the area in front of the Haunted Mansion was. You couldn't tell which line you were in or which area you'd come out in. If Fantasmic had been playing they would have had a major problem.

JTSnowFan
10-25-2004, 10:15 PM
It's only like this during the Haunted Mansion Holiday. The line is never over 10 minutes any other time (Normally, they rarely use the side queue where the pumpkins are right now on the hill. But during HMH, it always curls around the back). I guess it's the price you pay to see a decorated HM. To me, it's worth it.

CoasterChickie
10-25-2004, 10:27 PM
It's only like this during the Haunted Mansion Holiday. The line is never over 10 minutes any other time (Normally, they rarely use the side queue where the pumpkins are right now on the hill. But during HMH, it always curls around the back). I guess it's the price you pay to see a decorated HM. To me, it's worth it.

Oh, it's definitely worth it to me too. But I couldn't find my husband for a few minutes after he went to get a fast pass because the line for that took him way off to the left, the standby line was in the middle, and the line once you had a fast pass was off to the right. And all the lines were so wide that they blocked the whole path and you had to walk down by the raft and Columbia area to get by!

Disneyfreak
10-25-2004, 11:27 PM
BTW, how come they dont roll that fog from the hill anymore where the pumpkins are???? That effect was soooo spooky and cool.

Christiii
10-26-2004, 08:44 AM
We were there a week ago, on Sat night. It was SO dark and SO crowded over there..I could not even find the fastpass area..or see anything but the people right in front of me...it was bizarre...just swirls of people in the darkness...even lost my mom for ahwile..I dont remeber it being that dark over there before..I dont know if they had some lighting out or what. Everyone seemed really disoriented, the fastpass line, regular line and fastpass ticket line were all one big cluster right in front.. that night it would be really easy to lose little ones who get seperated from (or escape from, hehe) their parental units...

SoCalSteven
10-26-2004, 08:48 AM
On Sunday night people were just trying to stuff themselves into whatever line they could. One poor CM had to fight off everyone trying to get into the FastPass line while letting in those who actually had FastPasses.

Standby was 45 minutes at the time.

got2travel
10-26-2004, 09:46 AM
Yep, every holiday season that line is out of control. And I have been there when they were showing Fantasmic, its just chaos. But like JT said, its the price you pay to the see it decorated for the holidays. What bothers me more is the cattle herd on the way to the sleighs. My son always gets stepped on a pushed around. He can't understand why all these other adults don't have manners when he, a 9 yr old, always says excuse me.

sediment
10-26-2004, 09:47 AM
I agree: FastPass sucks. Causes foot traffic problems. Dump it.

Uncle Remus
10-26-2004, 02:10 PM
I agree: FastPass sucks. Causes foot traffic problems. Dump it.
Well i thought they junked fastpass for haunted mansion? is it only back because of the holiday layover because they closed it down for pirates and pooh ride? If they were smart they would junk fastpass for that ride, its unneeded and ummm... stupid! (ya thats right i went there)

HorizonsA
10-26-2004, 03:36 PM
You should have been here last year when the line strecthed all the way towards the French Market. And even then, you couldn't find where the line started because there would always be a huge crowd right where the Gate was and they couldn't figure out that that was not the start of the line...and when we did get in line, people kept cutting in front of us to the point where we yelled at them to get back! It was horrible. Like cutting in front of us is going to get you in the attraction faster. :rolleyes:

splashmtngurl
10-26-2004, 03:37 PM
umm..every time i have ever been to dl we have been able to practically hop right on to HM...is the line so large simply because its now HMH instead of the regualr HM?

JTSnowFan
10-26-2004, 04:07 PM
yes. like stated before, the line is only this long during the October-January expansion of HMH. I too have been on hm regular many of times and only had to wait in the first room to get into the elevator. Because HMH is different and only seen during the holidays, many people who wouldnt opt for the original, go to ride it. The line is absurd, but understandable.

Tigertail777
10-26-2004, 04:58 PM
I know they tore out the old permanent single file switchback posts that held the chains for the que line, so do they not put any new type of single file switchback thing in there temporarily for HMH? Dont they have any kind of chained off areas to group people into single file lines at all?

Pirate Bill
10-26-2004, 08:22 PM
Does anyone recall what Indiana Jones was like when it first opened? I believe there were several iterations of the queue as it stretched out into Adventureland. One I recall ran people down the middle of adventureland between ropes and had CMs breaking the line every now and then to allow others to cross the queue line to get to the other side. (I could be way off on this as I think about it more and I could be thinking of something completely different). Anyways, perhaps something like that might help a bit. I was there this last weekend, and luckily for me it wasn't bad at all when I wanted to ride it, but I did see it as a big 'ol mess a few times.

SoCalSteven
10-26-2004, 10:33 PM
Does anyone recall what Indiana Jones was like when it first opened? I believe there were several iterations of the queue as it stretched out into Adventureland. One I recall ran people down the middle of adventureland between ropes and had CMs breaking the line every now and then to allow others to cross the queue line to get to the other side. (I could be way off on this as I think about it more and I could be thinking of something completely different). Anyways, perhaps something like that might help a bit. I was there this last weekend, and luckily for me it wasn't bad at all when I wanted to ride it, but I did see it as a big 'ol mess a few times.
I was there on day #1 of Indy, and the line reached through the entire internal queue, the entire outside queue, out through Adventureland, and past the hub towards Main Street. It was insane! :eek:

Luckily I had connections and rode the ride before the part was open to the public. It was awesome! :D

uvsc_wolverine
10-27-2004, 08:13 PM
I was in DL today (and I will be there tomorrow :D , I'm writing this from my hotel room at the Castle Inn), and I walked right onto HMH at around 1:30 or so. It was nice today. A little light rain kept the locals away, and the lines were nice and short. Pretty much walked on everything.

JTSnowFan
10-27-2004, 08:56 PM
I was in DL today (and I will be there tomorrow :D , I'm writing this from my hotel room at the Castle Inn), and I walked right onto HMH at around 1:30 or so. It was nice today. A little light rain kept the locals away, and the lines were nice and short. Pretty much walked on everything.

LOL. That's so true! Most local are afraid of the rain, and in the middle of the week? Forget about it!!

averagedork
10-27-2004, 09:41 PM
LOL. That's so true! Most local are afraid of the rain, and in the middle of the week? Forget about it!!
Locals aren't afraid of rain, just know better than stay in a cold, wet, amusement park...

Plus I was there during the rain on Tuesday, as a local, and sat on a broken down Storybook boats while the rain was coming. Yeah that sucked.

JTSnowFan
10-27-2004, 09:58 PM
Locals aren't afraid of rain, just know better than stay in a cold, wet, amusement park...

Just my opinion, but when I hear a bunch of crying babies on the radio sobbing about the rain and how it messes up their hair, thats something that only happens here. Or when I go see a play, which I did about 2 weeks ago when we had that first big storm, and the usher of the theater runs up and down the aisles during intermission to warn people about the rain, thats somethin' else. The people behind me said "This is the only place on Earth where rain is a big deal" (direct quote). Since rain rarely heppens here, people freak, majorly. I personally love the rain, but I'm not originally from here. So to see people act the way they do, it humors me!

Melaniee
10-27-2004, 11:42 PM
sniff sniff...the rain ruined my trip today, and I'm a local who LOVES rain. However, I couldn't see sitting in traffic there and back in the rain with a toddler. Had it been just the hubby & I, we would have been there! Better weather next week I hope.

Pirate Bill
10-28-2004, 09:26 AM
You should see what the rain does to people in Phoenix. :D