PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's PhiharMagic for Golden Dreams

Pages : [1] 2

merlinjones
10-25-2004, 09:52 AM
This has been brought up before, but why not get rid of the abysmal Golden Dreams and put the nice theatre in service of Mickey's PhilharMagic (it is after all, an arts pavillion, so it makes a bit of sense thematically). Seems like an EZ trade out - - a low-risk, minor investment with a big upside (like, someone might be interested in going in there for a change...).

sediment
10-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Sounds pretty Californian.

merlinjones
10-25-2004, 10:07 AM
as much as a bug's life...

merlinjones
10-25-2004, 10:08 AM
...and anyway, Mickey's PhilharMagic is about as seriously related to actual California history as that film in Golden Dreams theatre is right now....

sediment
10-25-2004, 10:10 AM
People will be interested in seeing it once, maybe twice in their lives, then skip it from then on. Not a lifelong memorable experience.

jrad32
10-25-2004, 10:11 AM
I like it. The theming in DCA is already all over the map, so why not put in what appears to be a good attraction.

I'd say put it in the HISTA theater, because that show is tired, but Philharmagic really doesn't fit in TL.

TikiGeek
10-25-2004, 10:20 AM
I've heard great things about PhilHarMagic and I would like to see it but I don't think they should replace Golden Dreams. The first time I saw Golden Dreams I really liked it and thought the music (One Dream - I think it's called) was excellent - true it doesn't have much repeatability but for someone visiting California (remember DCA's theme) I think it's a good historical tribute to our state. As far as the fit of "It's Tough To Be A Bug" - agriculture is one of the leading industries of California and I may be alone on this but I think they did a good job with the Agri-theming of that whole area.

sediment
10-25-2004, 10:40 AM
My review of Philharmagic: Eh.

Less Duck, More mouse.

stan4d_steph
10-25-2004, 11:09 AM
My review of Philharmagic: Eh.

Less Duck, More mouse.I think it needs more cowbell.

nursemelis374
10-25-2004, 12:40 PM
I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!

Oh yeah, Golden Dreams. I love it! I do understand though that it may not have as wide of an appeal. I just got back from WDW and thought that although it was cool, Philharmagic was not the type of attraction that will help DCA. I think they should bring Mission:Space, that is the best ever!

Dlandmom
10-25-2004, 01:03 PM
I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell!

You beat me to it!

Golden Dreams...yeah, it doesn't have much repeat appeal, but for someone new to California, it's decent. I thought it was okay...not great, but not bad.

Mickeyslittlehelper
10-25-2004, 01:20 PM
Well I can say that I loved Philharmagic. It was one of my top 3 things at WDW. It made me appreciate Donald, but I agree it needs more Mickey. I think they should add something like that somewhere in the DLR, whether its there or not doesnt matter to me.

Tutter
10-25-2004, 01:23 PM
I don't know what Mickey's PhilharMagic is.

But Golden Dreams I think is good. I remember seeing it for the first time and feeling quite moved by it.

spectromen
10-25-2004, 01:45 PM
The dang thing still makes me cry every time and I'm a local, so I vote for it to stay. They just need to fix/increase the signage so people know what it is. Considering little San Francisco Row there is nothing but facades, the average guest may think the same thing about GD.

Niwel
10-25-2004, 02:21 PM
I'd say put it in the HISTA theater, because that show is tired, but Philharmagic really doesn't fit in TL.

I agree on both counts -- don't know where they could put it in Fantasyland though unless they removed SW or Pinocchio and made a theater. Or they could fill in the area around the old motor boat cruises and make a theater over there.
OR -- reconfigure part of Toontown with goofy's house, Donald's Boat and Gadget's Go-Coaster and put it there.....

Disney Vault
10-25-2004, 02:33 PM
That is such a great idea! They could totally put it in ToonTown.

Drince88
10-25-2004, 03:11 PM
Could they do it easily in either of the two existing theaters? Yes, the seats would need major re-working, but is there enough room for the large sized screen?

Tutter, Mickey's Philharmagic is a 3-D, 4 -sense film (see, hear, touch, and smell - no eating allowed!) with the plot being that Donald steels Mickey's sorcerer hat and has to chase it through a number of scenes from the "recent classics" genre (are there any older movie scenes in it?) My favorite effect is when the champagne bottles pop open during the "Be Our Guest" number. Probably the best of the recent 3-D attractions and by far the least scary for the little ones.

Mr.Incredible
10-25-2004, 03:41 PM
I remember seeing Golden Dreams for the first time in 2001 (before they removed the exploding workers scene) and thinking it was a great film. I love the theater too.

The problem with adding Philharmagic to DCA is that the park already has two 3D attractions. It doesn't need another one. What it needs is a big ride like Rock N' Rollercoaster or a completely new E-ticket attraction. And, of course, a complete RE-THEME of the entire park would be nice too... It should've been Westcot from the beginning. Stupid locals. ;)

Justin

9oldmen
10-25-2004, 04:19 PM
...with the plot being that Donald steels Mickey's sorcerer hat... Does he bronze Mickey's baby shoes?

Drince88
10-26-2004, 03:48 AM
Does he bronze Mickey's baby shoes? Yea, yea, yea -- too little sleep, what can I say. (I'd be shocked if that was the only typo I had yesterday!) ;)

leeharrell
10-26-2004, 06:43 AM
Could they do it easily in either of the two existing theaters? Yes, the seats would need major re-working, but is there enough room for the large sized screen?

Nope.
No existing DL theatre is large enough for Philharmagic.

jrad32
10-26-2004, 07:26 AM
Toontown is an interesting thought if the space could be found. That would give a reason to go back there.

It seems like there is prehaps more space where the motorboat lagoon and the walkway to Small World is though.

Toby
10-26-2004, 10:43 AM
How about putting Mickey's Philharmagic inside of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln (boring!). Not sure if it will fit and I think the cue should come at the backside of the building
This way you have Philharmagic and HISTA in one park and ITTBAB and Muppets in the other one.

I still think something should replace Golden Dreams.

Toby
10-26-2004, 10:49 AM
That's after the 50th exhibit offcourse!

iAmJacksDLand
10-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Mickey's Philharmagic, ironically, would best fit in the Hollywood Picture Backlot - The Walt Disney Concert Hall was built right in SoCal, so they could have a tribute to that with Philharmagic inside.

If you were going to put Phil in DL, it would be best suited for ToonTown, I agree - and that would be really fun! I love ToonTown, but it does need a new attraction.