PDA

View Full Version : We had the best meal at The Vineyard Room

CoasterChickie
10-23-2004, 10:43 PM
We had no idea what it would be like, but we wanted to have a sit down meal at DCA tonight and we both love good wine. The atmosphere is exactly like restaurants in Napa (and the Ostrich Grill in Capitola if you've ever been there) we had a really cozy booth and a very nice waiter named Jeff.

Right when you sit down,they give you bread with balsamic wine and vinegar
and your choice of Evian or Pelegrino water. Then you can choose a 3 course or 4 course dinner and select your own wine or have the waiter select a different 2 oz wine for each course. We chose our own cabernet sauvignon and the 3 course meal. We had sweet potato soup for a starter, a fish for dinner, and a scrumptious chocolate dessert. It was the best meal we have ever had at DL and we spent 2 hours savoring every bite. If you've not been yet, you should try it some day. However, it IS expensive so I would not recommend taking kids, but just going with your "loved one."

SoCalSteven
10-23-2004, 11:47 PM
I've always wanted to go, but I've never been able to clairfy something...your whole party has to choose the same courses, or can everyone have different courses?

Hakuna Makarla
10-24-2004, 06:45 AM
Ok ,I hate fish, so what did you have to go with the fish? potato, salad or just the fish? How romantic, you guys alone in a wonderful resturant! I think its great you guys had this tme alone! HAve a great day!

CoasterChickie
10-24-2004, 07:43 AM
SoCalSteven...each person can choose however many courses he/she wants (3 for $43 or 4 for $56) and whatever he/she wants from each course. The first course had soup, salad, or vegetables. The second course had various types of appetizers. The third course was the main dish and the choices were veal, beef, chicken, fish, vegetarian, or ravioli which all came with different types of sauces and veggies. My fish was pacific sea bass and baby clams with a butter sauce, fava beans and onions. My husband's fish was seafood stew similar to cioppino, but the sauce was different. For dessert the coices were banana and pear confections, bread pudding with amaretto icecream, the chocolate torte. The wine and cheeses cost extra.

I forgot to mention that the dishware was beautiful and the water and wine glasses were the huge kind I love.

SoCalSteven
10-24-2004, 09:10 AM
SoCalSteven...each person can choose however many courses he/she wants (3 for $43 or 4 for $56) and whatever he/she wants from each course.
Oh, I know what they offer (I was oggling the menu Friday night), but I was told once that everyone had to select the same items because each course was served on one large dish that everyone splits.

calguy77
10-24-2004, 09:36 AM
Does anyone know where you can get a menu for the vineyard room?

cstephens
10-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Oh, I know what they offer (I was oggling the menu Friday night), but I was told once that everyone had to select the same items because each course was served on one large dish that everyone splits.

That's how the restaurant was run when it was still sponsored by Mondavi, and the "everyone has to order the same thing" aspect was partly the reason why we never went at that time. Since it's been changed over, meals are no longer served family style.

CoasterChickie - One of my favorite little touches that The Vineyard Room offers are the bowls of fruit for people to munch on in the waiting area while the table is being prepared. One time, they had grapes, and the last time, they had cherries. Do you remember if they had anything this time?

CoasterChickie
10-25-2004, 11:05 AM
cstephens...they did not have fruit in the lobby, but there were bing cherries on our dessert...they were so good

SoCalSteven
10-25-2004, 06:33 PM
That's how the restaurant was run when it was still sponsored by Mondavi, and the "everyone has to order the same thing" aspect was partly the reason why we never went at that time. Since it's been changed over, meals are no longer served family style.

Wonderful! I'll have to take my better half sometime soon.