PDA

View Full Version : The latest on Buzz Lightyear... CM info

Darkbeer
10-23-2004, 09:31 PM
"Construction is nearly complete for Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, a new Tomorrowland attraction opening in spring 2005, in time for the 50th anniversary celebration at the Disneyland® Resort.

According to Walt Disney Imagineering Project Manager David Van Wyk, the construction phase will be completed in November and will be followed by a testing period.

“This attraction takes the place of CircleVision, the Tomorrowland offices, part of the Premiere Shop and all of the NASA Space Experience,” David said. “We used all of the available space to fit in the attraction’s 10 show scenes.”

When Guests board their Star Cruisers, they embark on a mission to defeat the evil Emperor Zurg who is attempting to corner the galaxy’s energy supply, according to WDI Show Producer Chrissie Allen.

“Guests use their astro blasters to shoot targets throughout the attraction,” Chrissie said. “It is like a giant electronic game, so it seemed like a natural fit to add this attraction to Tomorrowland.”

After saving the galaxy, Guests will receive a score which will earn them a rank in the Space Ranger Corps, ranging from Space Cadet to Intergalactic Colonel depending on their score.

While the attraction is also in place at other Disney theme parks, such as Tokyo Disney Resort and Walt Disney World® Resort, the Disneyland® version will have a new element added.

“As Guests exit the attraction, they will see kiosks that have their score combined with a photo taken while they were on the ride,” David said. “They can then e-mail the image to their friends or family which will be a unique element to the Disneyland® version of this attraction. Because the ride is highly repeatable, we think Guests will really love e-mailing their friends when they reach a new high score.”

Also unique to the Disneyland® version will be an online component which will allow Guests to play from home while using the Internet.

“We have cameras on the attraction so Guests at home can see the targets,” David said. “Guests at home will highlight specific targets with higher score values as our park Guests shoot their way through the various scenes. This will be a first for any Disney theme park.”

Though David and Chrissie are tight-lipped on secrets to achieving high scores, they are happy to share their enthusiasm about the new attraction.

“This attraction has been very popular with Guests in Florida and we know that they will love it here,” Chrissie said."

Mickeyslittlehelper
10-23-2004, 09:36 PM
I am getting excited. I like the idea of emailing your score and playing from home.

SoCalDude
10-24-2004, 12:42 AM
wow - sounds cool. Looking foward to seeing it in person!

AaronInCal
10-24-2004, 05:53 AM
Sounds very cool! But can you imagine the backup of people at those kiosks trying to e-mail their friends? Hopefully they will have a ton of them though.. But the whole ride sounds great!!

Christiii
10-24-2004, 09:33 AM
I am reaaaaalllly hoping they put sometime and thought into this one..if it is another ride like Pooh..I may just give up on the park :rolleyes:

AaronInCal
10-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Gee Darkbeer.. You think you could have at least given credit to the person who posted this article over on the Laughing Place boards first after 3pm on Oct. 23?

Darkbeer
10-24-2004, 02:49 PM
^ I didn't see the LP post until AFTER I posted this, I got it in an e-mail from a friend....

More than one person does read the Cast Portal.......

Hakuna Makarla
10-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Gee Darkbeer.. You think you could have at least given credit to the person who posted this article over on the Laughing Place boards first after 3pm on Oct. 23?
gee Aron, give a guy a break, this is the first any of us heard about this and I thank darkbeer for giving us the great news.
Thank you DarkBeer I appreciate all you do!

Disney Vault
10-24-2004, 05:46 PM
Thanks DarkBeer, you always have the best information to share. :)

sambo
10-24-2004, 07:59 PM
“This attraction has been very popular with Guests in Florida and we know that they will love it here,” Chrissie said."

Yeah. We ALWAYS like the same things... :rolleyes:

mousetrap adam
10-24-2004, 08:10 PM
As long as we're on the subject of sources, it should be mentioned that this "CM info" was taken verbatim from an article in the 10/22 Disneyland Resort Line (no pun intended), the weekly cast member newsletter.

Very little of the content is actual "news" persay; most of the information was covered when the attraction was announced back on May 5th.

--Mo

Hakuna Makarla
10-25-2004, 05:12 AM
As long as we're on the subject of sources, it should be mentioned that this "CM info" was taken verbatim from an article in the 10/22 Disneyland Resort Line (no pun intended), the weekly cast member newsletter.

Very little of the content is actual "news" persay; most of the information was covered when the attraction was announced back on May 5th.

--Mo
well it was first read right here by me so its news I did not know. Again I thank darkbeer for posting news here so I "a behind the times girl "can get the full scoop.

cstephens
10-25-2004, 10:23 AM
We heard about the Buzz Lightyear information yesterday, as well as some info about Space Mountain as well. I'm so excited for both to open/re-open so we can hang out in Tomorrowland again.

bandboy1985
10-25-2004, 10:28 AM
as a cm, it's quite fun to walk to cross through behind tomorrowland and just peek in the back of space at night while they're at work with all the lights on- everything looks very new and sturdy and smooth-riding. i for one can't wait for it to re-open- it's been closed since may of '03, right?

TikiGeek
10-25-2004, 10:30 AM
It sounds like new cool things are on the horizon for TL :) Maybe it will again be great.

Christiii
10-25-2004, 10:34 AM
I really cant wait for Tommorowland to become usable again!! As a kid, it was almost my favorite place to be, next to the Haunted Mansion and Peter pan. I really miss Adventure thru Inner Space!! I have to say I never even go in Tommorowland anymore..like most everyone I guess..now if they could only bring back the People Mover!!

DISNEYloon
10-25-2004, 12:38 PM
hey thanks darkbeer - you always give us great info.........and i/WE dont have to go and search all other websites/blogs/boards to get the info.

YOU ROCK!

VickiC
10-25-2004, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know what the height requirement will be on this?

Disney Vault
10-25-2004, 09:49 PM
I dont think there is one but I could be wrong. It is very slow moving and as long as the child sits on the inside of the car with the parent by the opening then there shouldnt be a problem.

Darkbeer
10-25-2004, 10:33 PM
The Haunted Mansion (same type of ride vehicle) has no height requirement, so I presume, so long as there is some type of guardian present, there should be no problem (remember there will be "guns" present...)

stinkyface
10-26-2004, 05:48 AM
There is no height restriction in Florida so I wouldn't expect one in Disneyland either.