PDA

View Full Version : Silly new wheelchair policy

BJW
10-23-2004, 07:57 PM
For those of you interested, Disney has changed its policy on parties with more than one handicapped person in a wheelchair. (For example, if you have a party of 4 with 2 people in wheelchairs with the other 2 people pushing them.) Previously you could still have up to 6 people in a "wheelchair" party in non-accesible ques, such as the Fantasyland dark rides, and get access through the handicapped entrance. Now, the parties must split with only one handicapped person per party. This just makes the wait longer for regular guests in line as more than one ride vehicle must be used to load the wheelchair parties. For example, in Snow White and Pinnocio a vehicle holds 4 people. Yet, two vehicles had to be used since it was against park policy. This just holds the line up longer and we still got off the ride at almost the same time. One CM jokingly told me to hide the other wheelchair before getting to a ride entrance as they can't count what they don't see. I understand why they have this rule, as on an attraction like Peter Pan (slow loader with limited room on each vehicle) it could be a nuisance loading large parties, but on rides where its only holding the line up longer I think they should rethink this policy. They told me some CMs are not yet aware of this new policy so they are still allowing it to be the old way (an example was with Jungle Cruise and Alice when we were there.) While I do agree with this new policy, I think it should only be applied on attractions where it helps keep the line from stopping instead of stopping it longer.

Baldpirate
10-23-2004, 11:11 PM
Maybe this is a new saftey measure

bobsledbob
10-24-2004, 11:06 AM
Actually, the rule as always been one wheelchair on an attraction at a time, well at least in Fantasyland. Its because if we break down because they are too slow or we just break down, its easier to take out one wheelchair guest than do two. It cuts down on how long the downtime is. It's also safer because a car can be stopped in between a show door (can happen when the ride breaks down or E-stop) and it is a really tough spot to get by. And if your overweight or have problems walking or getting around in the first place, then we either take it slow or maintance has to come out and move the car, which they really don't like to do because sometimes it messes up the ride system. Now just imagine if there are two people that can't make it.

Now if you just jump out of the wheelchair, then I will load two because (not to be rude) obveriously you don't need the chair or are using the wheelchair for a means for standing issues. I do agree it does suck sometimes and sometimes it is absolutely necessary!

BJW
10-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Bobsledbob and Baldpirate, excellent point. I never thought of this as a safety measure. Under normal operation it may not seem like it makes too much of a difference but I can imagine if there were an emergency or a break-down where an evacuation is necessary it is much easier to deal with one handicapped person at a time instead of more than one. Thanks for the explanation.

AVP
10-30-2004, 07:46 PM
The "one wheelchair per ride cycle" is not new, (and is part of the reason the queue for Pirates can get so long!) I've been told that it's technically one non-ambulatory person per ride cycle, but it depends on the nature of the ride and the nature of the evacuation routes from the ride. Tony has been asked if he could walk down "X" number of stairs or across a narrow walkway "X" number of feet before being boarded on some rides with another person who was also using a wheelchair. (I remember getting asked this question a lot on Space Mountain)

AVP

mad4mky
10-31-2004, 04:04 PM
I've been told that it's technically one non-ambulatory person per ride cycle, but it depends on the nature of the ride and the nature of the evacuation routes from the ride. Tony has been asked if he could walk down "X" number of stairs or across a narrow walkway "X" number of feet before being boarded on some rides with another person who was also using a wheelchair. (I remember getting asked this question a lot on Space Mountain)

AVP

You are asked quite a bit about this on Big Thunder Mountain RR as well. :)