PDA

View Full Version : Things that you do prior to going to DL..

Pages : [1] 2

Lekta
10-23-2004, 06:19 PM
What are some of the things you are SURE to do before going on a trip to DL? Now I don't mean those that go there on a daily basis and whatnot, just those that only get to go on a rare occasion.

I myself am sure to watch all of the movies that I associate with Disneyland: PoC of course, Shrek (for some reason, even though it isn't Disney), Nemo, I and have a couple of recorded shows about Disneyland. There is also a couple of movies that we have watched in Downtown Disney that really makes me remeber the day had at Disney, and it makes them special, even if they aren't good. I suggest watching a movie in the Downtown Disney area at least once per trip... watch the movie a few months later when it comes out on DvD and tell me you don't recall the day you watched it at Disney..

Also:

-Download all of the filmed rides on my computer
-Listen to that Live365 Disneyland station
-Go over my resort map daily, plotting and planning routes and proceedures
-Read and re-read Darkbeers Fast Pass updates (thank ya kindly)
-Go through my 2 DLR guides (though there isn't anything I don't already know in them)

I'm sure that there is more, but, I gotta go pick up the wife... =)

rentayenta
10-23-2004, 06:43 PM
Oh phooey. I had detailed my whole plan for you and my connection shut down.

I happily obsess is all you get ;)

Did you decide when you are going?

I Heart Disneyland!
10-23-2004, 06:54 PM
I talk non-stop about it at work! "I'm going to Disneyland next week...blah, blah" they are probably SO glad to get me OUT of there by that week. (ha) Also, I obsess about what to bring to wear, and realize that they DO have stores there, and malls, and I CAN buy things there if needed! I am not going to Siberia! I also like to listen to Disney music and look at sites about Disneyland and look at the Disneyland website for times of parades, etc. I also get SO excited about the whole walking through the main gate thing. OH MAN, I wish I could go there next week while I am in San Diego for 4 days!!!

GrumpyUTboi
10-23-2004, 07:40 PM
We leave tomorrow for DL with a quick stop in Las Vegas at the Excalibur Hotel.

Today my kids watched a couple of Disney movies. I kind of wanted to watch POTC, but I think that we might watch that Sunday or Monday.

We bought the Scene It Disney version and we played for a couple of hours. Girls against the boys and is my DW a sore loser. Josh and I had to let the grils win or there would be hell to pay.

Another thing that we do before DL is get no freakin sleep. Lisa and I went to bed around 2 am Friday night and we tossed and turned the whole night. We I woke up every hour on the hour is seems like because I was so excited to go. I finally just decided to get up around 7. Boy am I dragging my butt around right now. Hopefully I get some sleep tonight since Vegas is a 6 hour drive.

Man am I excited!

averagedork
10-23-2004, 10:09 PM
I go every weekend... so usually it's a ritual of "crap do I have my pass? Do I have my makeup? How cold will it be?' Then tossing stuff into my purse. I listen to music I know won't be at DLR in the car.

Wendi
10-23-2004, 10:30 PM
Oh man... you should see my lists!!!

Then there's my folder full of itinerary, more lists, maps, blurbs of information, schedules, phone numbers, etc. I am leaving super early on Halloween morning, we already watched Nightmare Before Christmas and Aladdin this week. We will probably watch Peter Pan, maybe the DL vacation planning video, etc. I really need to color my hair and get a pedicure this week!!! Make sure I have things like my phone charger, extra (fully charged) camera batteries, DV tapes, extra CF card (just in case), and now that I have a kid, I have even more lists and packing to do!!! Can't forget to bring bandaids and children's motrin just in case, ya know??? At least this time I don't have to take up a ton of room in the suitcase for diapers!!! Yay!

Oh, and I not only make lists of my outfits, I also have to lay them out together to make sure I have everything!!!

LoveDL
10-24-2004, 09:18 AM
This is my first post, although dh and I lurk all the time! Wendi, we are also leaving VERY early Halloween morning and staying until the 5th. If you see a family with 4 kids that all look the same age wearing various disney headbands, and me wearing my bright colored Mickey fanny pack(I don't care if you all say it is outdated, it is a Disney fanny pack and the only time I get to wear it :p ) say hi! :)

Our routine is to watch all our past DL trip videos, listen to Disney music, surf the websites and we have our Disney ticker on our computer that tells us how many more days, hours, minutes and seconds until we leave. This year I have made a Disneyland trivia quiz for the kids for the drive down to LA, they will work on it once daylight hits. We generally leave at about 330am and arrive at about 930am, I am so glad that this year we will get an extra hour of sleep that morning, because it is always so hard to fall asleep the night before.

Dawn

SCUBAbe
10-24-2004, 09:21 AM
usually I put gas in the car and stop by the atm, then I'm on my way. :)

disneyhound
10-24-2004, 09:32 AM
My daughter and I pack the night before, we only take a carry-on bag, so space is minimal. We watch our videos and look at pictures of past visits. We usually go for a walk just before we go to sleep the night before, out in the cold night air for some exercise, makes falling asleep a bit easier!

Lekta
10-24-2004, 01:26 PM
Oh man... you should see my lists!!!

We will probably watch Peter Pan, maybe the DL vacation planning video, etc.

Where did you get that DL Vacation video? I want one!!

Lekta
10-24-2004, 01:26 PM
This is my first post, although dh and I lurk all the time! Wendi, we are also leaving VERY early Halloween morning and staying until the 5th. If you see a family with 4 kids that all look the same age wearing various disney headbands, and me wearing my bright colored Mickey fanny pack(I don't care if you all say it is outdated, it is a Disney fanny pack and the only time I get to wear it :p ) say hi! :)

Our routine is to watch all our past DL trip videos, listen to Disney music, surf the websites and we have our Disney ticker on our computer that tells us how many more days, hours, minutes and seconds until we leave. This year I have made a Disneyland trivia quiz for the kids for the drive down to LA, they will work on it once daylight hits. We generally leave at about 330am and arrive at about 930am, I am so glad that this year we will get an extra hour of sleep that morning, because it is always so hard to fall asleep the night before.

Dawn

Where do you drive from?

Lekta
10-24-2004, 01:29 PM
Oh phooey. I had detailed my whole plan for you and my connection shut down.

I happily obsess is all you get ;)

Did you decide when you are going?

Probably not gonna make it for the holidays this year..... :crying:

Work calls and work = money to spend at DL, so we will prob have to postpone for now.

LoveDL
10-24-2004, 06:02 PM
Lekta, I drive from Lodi, in central/northern CA. Driving down on Sunday morning, there is NO traffic through LA at that time of morning.
Dawn

rentayenta
10-24-2004, 06:13 PM
Probably not gonna make it for the holidays this year..... :crying:

Work calls and work = money to spend at DL, so we will prob have to postpone for now.

The great thing about DL is it will be waiting for you when the time is right.

Now I have the energy to rewrite my list:

We usually stay with friends or family so the planning of this trip has been major. I expedia'd like there was no manana and after hours of searching ended up at getawaytoday.com.
I subscribed to Ridemax to try and minimize any unnecessary waiting in line.
I changed the dates 3 x before settling. I have already made my packing list, only 57 days away ;) I have talked to Vacation Planning numerous times and made all the dining reservations and bought the tree. They even let me reserve more than 60 days out. I requested autographed pictures and a birthday button.
For this trip I told my family that if they wanted to see us they'd have to come to Disneyland..I like this one!
I read The Unofficial Guide and Birnbaum's. I like the Unofficial much better.
Because the trip is a surprise I haven't been able to tell the kids which has been sooo hard. They keep asking why we can't go to Disneyland since we'll already be in Vegas. They are wise young grasshoppers.
I just had the tires rotated and the oil is getting changed next month.
I have re-read the brochures about a 1,000 times. My DH thinks I am nutty.
I have been stashing moola here and there so we won't be broke in January.

Rae
10-24-2004, 07:07 PM

I have one that my travel agent gave to me, my kids watch it daily...

And in reply to the thread question, I prepare for my first trip by researching every little thing disney. My greatest source of info being you guys.

Lekta
10-24-2004, 07:19 PM
I have one that my travel agent gave to me, my kids watch it daily...

And in reply to the thread question, I prepare for my first trip by researching every little thing disney. My greatest source of info being you guys.

Any specific travel agency? Or, should I just call a few local travel agencies to see if they stock them? I'd love to have that video!

Wendi
10-24-2004, 08:18 PM

You can get it from the Disneyland.com site, or call to order it. 1-800-960-9283... almost didn't find my video which has the number printed on the label! whew... now we can watch it!!!

Lekta
10-24-2004, 09:30 PM
Nice, thank you much!

*Edit* Any helpful suggestions as to where I need to go once on the site to find it? THX

Lekta
10-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Does the Disneyland site offer this video free of charge?

Pureevents
10-31-2004, 03:28 PM
According to the 1800 # they do not make the video anymore.

Viva La Disney
10-31-2004, 05:47 PM
Dang it. I was planning on getting one of those,oh well. :rolleyes:

Lekta
10-31-2004, 07:42 PM
Ugggh.. too little too late.. tis the story of my life =)

Do you suppose that the possiblity exists that there is some travel agencies that still have stock of this film?

Rae
10-31-2004, 08:30 PM
Any specific travel agency? Or, should I just call a few local travel agencies to see if they stock them? I'd love to have that video!
It was the copy that DL send to the travel agents in Australia and the travel agent gave me a copy. They don't usually give them to the customers she said but my husband travels a lot for work so he is a regular customer of hers

Melaniee
10-31-2004, 09:32 PM
Usual Mommy Check list and take a picture of Ds on the digital we're bringing in case Heaven Forbid he gets lost, I have a pic from that AM.

CoasterChickie
10-31-2004, 09:45 PM
I have a cubby in my closet filled with all my Disney stuff...backpack, sweatshirt, tops and bottoms, socks, and pj's. My lanyard and pins as well as AP are hanging up downstairs in the living room. I can pack it all in about 5 minutes flat if I have an opportunity to go to DL. We usually drive so I'll throw a bunch of Disney DVD's in the car to watch on the way down. I also buy a bunch of water, soda, beef jerky, cashews and bubblegum for snacks. Oh, and a last minute stop at the ATM for mula.