PDA

View Full Version : If TOT comes to DCA, what else is needed?

coronamouseman
11-28-2001, 12:32 PM
Screamscape has reported that Disney management has confirmed the TOT attraction is coming to Disney and it has been rumored in MousePad as well for some time ............

So if it does come to DCA, will TOT be sufficient to boost the status of the park to the $43 or DL level? Or will other attractions be needed before the park can be considered "mature"? Or will TOT merely be a "bandaid" to keep DCA on life support until a host of new attractions or major rebuilding can be done?

My feeling is that DCA needs to add TOT, the Rock-n-Roller Coaster from DS and at least one other "E" ride (bringing it's total to 6) before you could even begin to consider it as a park worthy of a $40+ admission.

Nigel2
11-28-2001, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by coronamouseman

My feeling is that DCA needs to add TOT, the Rock-n-Roller Coaster from DS
Those would be nice but we need more original rides as well not just copies. RnRC would seem somewhat out of place though theme wise, I wonder if they are going to make the path to ToT go between the Animation building and the Hyperion.

coronamouseman
11-28-2001, 12:55 PM
Nigel2:

How does RnR, a limo ride through Hollywood, not fit into DCA's Hollywood theme?

oohykitten
11-28-2001, 01:09 PM
Nigel2:

How does RnR, a limo ride through Hollywood, not fit into DCA's Hollywood theme?

I was going to ask the same thing.

LIMANDL4EVA
11-28-2001, 02:15 PM
how r we all gonna see ToT when it is built? it is not going to be looming over hollywood, and you cant see it that well with animation in the way...:confused:

merlinjones
11-28-2001, 02:31 PM
What DCA will still need to be worth full-admission (other than Tower of Terror). Minimally:

* An attractive entrance facility (perhaps a Mission style train terminal?). Destroy mural.

* Nice views and points of visual interest throughout the park and from restaurant seating areas. Wienies at the end of every street.

* A nicer hub and centerpiece.

* Original Country Bears move to Grizzly Peak.

* Replace farm with something attractive.

* Immersive, E-Ticket Disney (Pirates) type ride through experience (Surf Culture? California Legends?).

* A Hispanic themed area, Zorro's Black Whip Coaster.

* Rock n Rollercoaster (with Capitol Records building facade).

* Walt Disney Museum (with Hyperion Studio facade.

* Decent lobby, stairs and bathrooms for theatre. Some decor insi the theatre.

* Replace Superstar Limo with Disney character ride.

* Funhouse/Tunneel of Love/Dark ride in Pier area. Monsters Inc. ride?).

* A visually cohesive San Francisco mini-area. A relevant facade at the end of the street (Lombard Street? Coit Tower?, perhaps move the Golden Gate over to the brdige between SF and the Wharf (away from the ugly entrance), make the stores into Haight Ashbury. Add a Cable Car. Add Herbie. Hippie street theatre.

* Replace Madness and other weak Pier rides.

* Rubio's Fish Tacos or Baja Fresh.

* Krispy Kreme!!!

Even then, I'm not so sure...

LIMANDL4EVA
11-28-2001, 02:35 PM
interesting ideas.....strangely interesting;)

coronamouseman
11-28-2001, 03:27 PM
merlinjones:

Idea of "Zorro" ride is nice since it is a California legendary figure.
How about a suspended coaster like the Big Bad Wolf ride in Busch Gardens Williamsburg where the coaster hurtles along very close to buildings and other structures to maximize the speed effects? Could use spanish style buildings, water towers, wooden railroad tressels with Spanish type soldiers all trying to catch Zorro ........

Also like idea of "Legends of California" as you have early explorers, missionarys, goldrushers, ranchers, early SF (including earthquakes and fires), Hollywood, sports figures, aerospace industry ............ you could probably pick 8-10 scenes which could be entertaining or which could employ special effects (kind of like the Spaceship Earth at Epcot)

Hey, business as usual here - we're simply suggesting a bunch of stuff that would be different or would be original that would be dumped in favor of another "mad mouse" or "jumping jellyfish" ride and a few more carny booths .........

zapppop
11-28-2001, 03:30 PM
They need to take out those cheesy carnival games you have to pay to play.

Not Afraid
11-28-2001, 03:31 PM
How about a suspended coaster like the Big Bad Wolf ride in Busch Gardens Williamsburg where the coaster hurtles along very close to buildings and other structures to maximize the speed effects?

There's a Big Bad Wolf ride? I want that, I want that!!! Then they can have the Pigs as characters again (like in picture). Cool!

Ace
11-28-2001, 03:37 PM
what else is needed? a lot.

zapppop
11-28-2001, 04:01 PM
I think they should just change it into a Studio park like DISNEY MGM in WDW or Walt Disney Studios in ED.

twistedmickey
11-28-2001, 04:07 PM
It's been reported that Who Wants to be a (yada yada Yada) may not return to the ABC lineup. My question is if the show is cancelled does that mean DCA will close yet another attraction adding to all its other failures???? Maybe they can bring in a priest to perform an excorcism on the park and drive all these negative "suits" i mean spirits away...:(

zapppop
11-28-2001, 04:12 PM
It'll probably stay as a piece of pop nostalgia

innerSpaceman
11-28-2001, 04:32 PM
I would like to see a trippy Haight-Asbury of the 60's dark ride that features lots of psychedelic effects, tiny little 2-person ride vehicles to make out in, and such a halucinogenic effect as to practically demand that you take drugs when you ride it.

Not likely to happen, but neither are some of the other excellent ideas in this thread.

Most of all, I think DCA needs an influx of original attractions. ToT is great and all, but I'm sick of the hand-me-downs. When ToT opens in 2004 (or later if past history is any guide), there will be 3 ratty old leftovers from DisneyWorld in our new park. Sorry, but I've been to DisneyWorld, seen it, done it. Want something new for us. I will dig Tower of Terror, but I can't really get worked up over 10 year old rides.

LIMANDL4EVA
11-28-2001, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by twistedmickey
It's been reported that Who Wants to be a (yada yada Yada) may not return to the ABC lineup. My question is if the show is cancelled does that mean DCA will close yet another attraction adding to all its other failures???? Maybe they can bring in a priest to perform an excorcism on the park and drive all these negative "suits" i mean spirits away...:(
i hope it goes and we see armageddom come in soon like it was suppoed to be

zapppop
11-28-2001, 08:49 PM
All those in favor of a new theme, say I

Nigel2
11-28-2001, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by oohykitten
Nigel2:

I was going to ask the same thing.

Sorry I was talking space wise, not theme. In needs to be somewhat distanced from other things like the performers if its going to go outside at one point, but that doesn't have to happen. Still a Christopher Leary ride would be interesting, or bob marley world.:D

FredofLasVegas
11-29-2001, 03:40 AM
Idea of "Zorro" ride is nice since it is a California legendary figure.
How about a suspended coaster like the Big Bad Wolf ride in Busch Gardens Williamsburg where the coaster hurtles along very close to buildings and other structures to maximize the speed effects? Could use spanish style buildings, water towers, wooden railroad tressels with Spanish type soldiers all trying to catch Zorro ........

There's two big problems with this idea--not that it is a bad one, just some things you should understand about suspended coasters...

1. Arrow Dynamics (Clearfield, UT) has not manufactured a suspended coaster for almost 9 years now in the US. The last was Top Gun at King's Island in Cincinnati. Arrow has gone thru some changes recently since they lost their status as the premier coaster manufacturer in the industry.

2. Even if Arrow built a suspended coaster, they only work well on hilly terrain. Becuase of the swinging motion, suspended coaster lose momentum faster than most coasters. Coasters like Ninja at SFMM and BBW at Busch Gardens are two examples of good suspended coasters, done well though the use of the land and, in BGW's case, theming.

Iron Dragon (aka Draggin' Iron) at Cedar Point and XLR-8 (aka DXLR-8) at Astroworld in Houston are examples of poor suspended coasters. Both were contructed on flat land.

As far as improving DCA, I think they need:

1. A water based dark ride (a la Pirates) in the Wharf Section
2. Add a racing wooden coaster that is a replica of some California seaside coaster that once existed (i.e. Cyclone Racer). Of course, where to put it now, I have no idea.
3. A different wild mouse model with much better theming, a pretty color scheme (MM is one of the ugliest coasters I've ever seen) but just as wild as MM.
4. A water fountain show in Paradise Lagoon---Luminaria has got to go---and FAST!
5. Gut SSL, and put in some kind of dark ride that won't age anytime soon
6. Build somekind of massive dark ride the size of Great Movie Ride but theme it to California.
7. Replace the current Screamin' trains with typical Intamin trains with seatbelts and lapbars. Screamin' could be so much more fun and just as safe, since the forces pin you into the loop anyway.
8. Add an interactive dark ride and theme it to something like Monsters, or Toy Story
9. Add about 5 more flat rides, new and old, such as a Whip (this one would be perfect for DCA), Top Spin, Frisbee, Top Scan, and Aero 360. I know many of you have no idea what these are, but that's OK. I don't care. :)
10. There's much more but it's late and I'm tired. Yes, DCA will need much more than this...It needs serious help IMHO. The park incredibly anemic.

80S ERA
11-29-2001, 06:42 AM
In addition to TOT, DCA would need:
1. Trees
2. Trees
3. and more Trees

This would somewhat remedy the lack of shade and visual problems merlinjones was refering to. When I stayed at the DLH Sierra tower recently, Disneyland looked like a complete Jungle compared to DCA from my hotel window.

Unfortunately, the California theme limits many of the lands to only Palm trees, which do not provide much shade or covering of other lands at all. :rolleyes:

coronamouseman
11-29-2001, 08:39 PM
FredofLV:

Good point regarding a suspended coaster like Ninja, although I was thinking more along the lines of a Dueling Dragons or Top Gun kind of suspended coaster (even though BBW is like Ninja)

True, space could be a problem but we all kind of laughed originally at Disney putting a theme park in the area of the parking lot (ok - some of us still think they didn't) but they still have room in some spots or even in the parking lot across Disneyland Drive (after they build the 2nd parking structure where the old Grand Hotel used to stand)

zapppop
11-29-2001, 08:47 PM
How much money will they need to spend in order to fix the park ?

Nigel2
11-29-2001, 10:33 PM
[i]Originally posted by FredofLasVegas
7. Replace the current Screamin' trains with typical Intamin trains with seatbelts and lapbars. Screamin' could be so much more fun and just as safe, since the forces pin you into the loop anyway.

Have you ever seen one that style? I know the old old ones (pre theme park I think) that were basically a car that goes through a loop had a tendancy to snap the necks, plus the they probably have the cars that way so if anything did happen and it had to come to a fast stop after the loop they wouldn't hurt the guests.

Disney Fan Matt
11-30-2001, 09:38 PM
The intamin hyper cars are really cool
That would be nice to have on screamin, with just lapbars. But Screamin is the least of DCA's problems. Why improve one of the few things they did right.

I want a Rock N ROllerCoaster.
That just looks fun!

THe biggest problem with DCA is space. There is not too much to expand in the current park.

Mullholland Madness isn't that bad. It doesn't take up very much space.