PDA

View Full Version : Candlelight Processional - Any news updates?

KarenW2
08-28-2004, 03:46 PM
Does anyone know when this year's CP will be at DL? Will there be a dinner package like last year for preferred seating?

Any news about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

AVP
08-29-2004, 05:35 PM
All we know for sure is that Marie Osmond will be the narrator, and December 4th / 5th are the dates that her people have given as being Candlelight weekend - Disney has not confirmed this or announced Candlelight packages.

AVP

KarenW2
08-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Thanks for the info so far, AVP and I'll look forward to reading more, as the other info comes in!

Disneynut1955
08-30-2004, 03:31 PM
The dates for Candlelight are December 4th and 5th and Club 33 members have had access to reservations since the first of June. Marie Osmond is scheduled to read and, word as of this past weekend, is that they intend to offer a package for seating but TDA is unsure of how it will be offered. Hope this helps in some way...

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
08-30-2004, 03:37 PM
since I have never been during Candlelight, what sorts of crowds does it bring to the park? How many people can actually attend the processional?

When I called today there were still plenty of hotel rooms available, but the AP december rate has not been announced. Some of our party are now considering going the next weekend. If we are not participating in candlelight would it be best to go at a different time?

CarlieB
08-30-2004, 04:26 PM
I've heard it's pretty crowded, but others here will be able to give you a better idea. We're going the following weekend, and I'm quite glad to be missing the crowds.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
08-30-2004, 06:39 PM
any more info, anyone?

Ulysses
08-31-2004, 01:41 AM
People pack in for Candlelight. Cast members' sign-in privileges are blocked out for the weekend. Last year we saw people staking out their viewing spots in Town Square hours before the first show. If all you want to see is the procession, that is less of a problem. It follows the regular parade route. You should stake out your curbside spot about 1 hour ahead.

That said, if you are just wondering if the park as a whole will be too crowded, my impression last year was that the crowding was in Town Square only -- the rest of the park was not unusually busy. Also, Candlelight spectators tend to arrive in the afternoon and evening.

Disneygirl65
08-31-2004, 08:02 AM
I went last year. It was wonderful. We did do the dinner package and it worked out very well for us, as we were front and center during the ceremony. Marie filled in for Lou Gossett Jr. the night we were there and she did a fabulous job. We have ressies for this year also. The crowds were not that bad. I have been there the week between Christmas and New Years and that is very crowded!

Christiii
08-31-2004, 08:11 AM
ive never really heard of this beofre..what exactly is it?? when is it?? where and how much are the dinner ressies?? is it worth a trip down??
Any more info would be great!!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
08-31-2004, 06:42 PM
I guess my big question would be, how many people may attend each show?

lisap
08-31-2004, 07:25 PM
ive never really heard of this beofre..what exactly is it?? when is it?? where and how much are the dinner ressies?? is it worth a trip down??
Any more info would be great!!

Here's (http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm031216avp.htm) a great article about last year's Candlelight ceremony.

Christiii
09-01-2004, 12:01 PM
when/where do they post the info for this?? Id love to take my mom to the dinner event!! Is it usually on a weekend?? Dec 4th is a thursday, and would not work for me..darn it!!!

tlovesdis
09-01-2004, 12:39 PM
December 4th is a Saturday. The CP is both on the 4th & Sunday the 5th.

Sislers
09-09-2004, 12:38 PM
This is going to be my first year to see the "Candlelight" show, and my first time at Disneyland during Christmas...and I'm soooo excited!! :)

Can anyone give me tips on the best seating, and how early to find a spot for it?

millionairegirl
09-09-2004, 03:29 PM
The best seating are in the seats, and the only way to get those (as far as I know) are to have purchased the dinner package or be related to a big wig at Disney. The dinner packages last year had varying prices. We ate at the sushi restaurant in Paradise Pier and had a great meal and then we got to see the show. I believe we paid $60pp (but not positive). We got great seats! I belive once everybody with a ticket has seated, than any regular park goer can grab a chair, but I'm sure they fill up. I'm glad we did it once, but I think for $120 I wouldn't do it again. Kinda been there done that for me.

You can also sit on the curb in town square (by the Opera House or City Hall or the Tour Garden), but your view is obstructed. Of course the best part about the CP is the sound, so maybe it doesn't matter. Since we were eating dinner, I don't know how early people held seats. Certainly not before 2:00.

KarenW2
10-22-2004, 09:28 AM
Since it's getting closer to December, I was wondering, has been any updated news on dinner packages or whatever for Candlelight Processional preferred seating?

We've enjoyed it every year we've gone and are looking forward to this year's as well, but we'd like to do the seating package again, if it's available.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me on this!

soccerlady16
10-22-2004, 11:24 AM
What exactly is the Candlelight Processional?

lisap
10-22-2004, 01:32 PM
Guest relations is not putting out any info yet--I called yesterday. Hopefully we'll hear something soon!

Surfingstitch
10-22-2004, 07:10 PM
Is it too busy (a big, big, like summer time crowd) during this, or does it free up a lot of rides/shops/resturants?

SoCalSteven
10-23-2004, 12:32 AM
I overheard someone asking about it at City Hall today. They said it was by invitation only...:confused:

KarenW2
10-25-2004, 11:59 AM
That's really disappointing, if they aren't going to be doing dinner packages or having any way for the "uninvited" to get seats for this amazing event. It's the best way to start off the Christmas season in my book, it really puts things into perspective! I'm surprised they're turning down the opportunity to make more money from people, by having it in the Fantasyland Theatre & running the preferred dining packages.

Fantasyland Theatre was a great venue for this, all tradition aside, because it could serve a lot more people and give them all a much better view of the festivities! I realize they can't do it with Snow White there, but it was much better, more like the CP in WDW.

Last year, the only good thing about it being on Main Street for me was that you didn't have to go into & back out of the whole park, packed with humans, to go to the CP and we had the preferred seating, from having eaten the required amount at Granville's.

Here's hoping we get better news soon!!

adriennek
10-25-2004, 12:18 PM
What exactly is the Candlelight Processional?

At Disneyland, it's a two day event- a Saturday and Sunday, usually around the second weekend in December. Various choirs are invited to participate. They walk through the Disneyland Parade route singing Christmas carols, arriving in Town Square where they all get on a stage. A celebrity reads a script of the Christmas Story with breaks for the choirs to sing carols. There is also a group of DL CMs that participate.

For many years, it was held in Town Square. It moved to the Fantasyland Theater for a few years, but it's back in Town Square again.

When it's in Town Square, seating is more limited. Traditionally, Club 33 members and other "corporate guests" got the reserved seats in Town Square, but the commonfolk could camp out on the sidewalks around TS and still "See" the show. When it was in Fantasyland Theater, more commonfolk got official tickets by standing in line and/or purchasing meal packages through various DLR restaurants.

Hope that Helps.

Sidenote: My most memorable CP moment was when Edward James Olmos decided to ad lib. He started talking about how great Christmas time was/is. He said that "Christmas is for EVERYONE! For Whites, Blacks, Jews, Muslims- EVERYONE!" Now, I'm paraphrasing because I don't remember who all he included in his list but I PROMISE you, the man said that Christmas was for Jews and Muslims. I remember rolling my eyes.

Adrienne

KarenW2
10-25-2004, 11:09 PM
My most memorable CP moment was in 2000 at WDW. We'd gone in December, to join the rest of the millennium celebration and got the dinner package for CP, dining in France. We had a nice dinner and got great seats!

The host for that CP was Robert Urich. The program went as usual and then Robert had a chance to share some personal thoughts about the CP. He shared how while this wasn't the first time he'd done the CP, it was the most important and meaningful one for him to perform. He shared how he was in remission from his cancer and how miraculous it was for him to be there with us and how grateful he was to God for making it possible.

When he finished sharing, I don't think there was a dry eye in the house, and tho he lost his battle with cancer later on, I will never forget that special time spent with him.