PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Tombstone Sells For Over $35,000

AVP
10-21-2004, 02:16 PM
Source: Disneyland Resort

DISNEYLAND TOMBSTONE SELLS FOR OVER $35,000

Charity Auction on eBay Experiences Frenzied Bidding For Disneyland Icon

ANAHEIM, Calif., October 21, 2004 –Anxious buyers and fans of the classic Disneyland Haunted Mansion attraction competed in a frenzy of last minute bidding on eBay, The World’s Online Marketplace®, as one of the most unique auctions ever presented on the popular website came to an unbelievable close. Over 60,000 people had visited the site when the final bid was received at 6 pm (EST) today. The yet-to-be-named high bidder placed the winning bid of $37,400 to become an honorary resident of the popular attraction. Once the bid is authenticated, the winner will be publicly announced.

All the proceeds raised from this auction will benefit selected chapters of Boys & Girls Clubs of America. “We could not be more thrilled by the response to this wonderfully inventive charity auction,” said Michael Baker, Executive Director of Boys & Girls Clubs. “The proceeds from this auction will benefit select chapters nationwide and we congratulate the lucky winner and thank them for their generosity.”

The winner of the auction will receive his/her own personalized “tombstone” in the attraction, marking the public’s first-ever chance to be an enduring part of a Disneyland attraction. He or she will also receive a one-of-a-kind miniature replica of the tombstone and a certificate officially recognizing their addition to the attraction. The unique gravestone will bear the winner’s first name and a humorous epitaph (inspired by the lucky bidder’s interests and hobbies) written and personalized by the team at Walt Disney Imagineering.
Additionally, the successful bidder and a guest will be spirited away from his or her hometown to Disneyland park in time for a midnight "wake" and “burial” ceremony on Thursday, October 28, officially placing the tombstone in the graveyard of the Haunted Mansion.

Corwin17
10-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Minor clarification:

Source: Disneyland Resort

ANAHEIM, Calif., October 21, 2004 –Anxious buyers and fans of the classic Disneyland Haunted Mansion attraction competed in a frenzy of last minute bidding on eBay, The World’s Online Marketplace®, as one of the most unique auctions ever presented on the popular website came to an unbelievable close. Over 60,000 people had visited the site when the final bid was received at 6 pm (EST) today. The yet-to-be-named high bidder placed the winning bid of $37,400 to become an honorary resident of the popular attraction. Once the bid is authenticated, the winner will be publicly announced.

1. The final bid was place @ 21:16:29 PDT, last night. But the auction closed at 3pm PDT today. That means the last 18 hours had NO BIDS PLACED.

2. There was no "frenzy of last minute bidding". The next to last bid was placed 3 hours before, and the one before that was 15 hours previous.

3. While the legal name of the winner hasn't been released, the ebay screen name is "maternla" with a rating of '9', all positive.

Nothing against you, AVP, I know it wasn't your story. But for the millionth time, I *HATE* people who exagerate! :D

AVP
10-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Nothing against you, AVP, I know it wasn't your story. But for the millionth time, I *HATE* people who exagerate! :DDude, it was a press release. (And yes, I made points 1 and 2 to Disney as soon as I read it.)

AVP

Corwin17
10-21-2004, 03:18 PM
Dude, it was a press release. (And yes, I made points 1 and 2 to Disney as soon as I read it.)Yeah, Yeah, I know. But you know I hate it when glaring errors like that are made! I just can't let it go! :~D

Plus, I wanted to be clear, then and now, that I wasn't blaming you. Personally, I think they had it prewritten, expecting, like the rest of us, that there was going to be a lot of last minute sniping. I'm actually a bit suprised there wasn't. :eek:

mystycalchyk
10-21-2004, 03:21 PM
awwwright.

*sentences AVP to 20 lashings with a limp noodle*

:p

Lani
10-21-2004, 04:00 PM
awwwright.

*sentences AVP to 20 lashings with a limp noodle*Hey now. That's a lot of carbs.

SoCalDude
10-21-2004, 04:03 PM
Hey now. That's a lot of carbs.
Hey now - thats the best part of it!

I still have hope the person who won has the same first name as me, or somebody in my family!

mystycalchyk
10-21-2004, 04:03 PM
well its only one little limp noodle.

okok...one low carb (http://www.vitacost.com/Store/Products/ProductDescription.cfm?SKUNumber=895326100301) limp noodle :fez:

better?

AVP
10-21-2004, 04:06 PM
I still have hope the person who won has the same first name as me, or somebody in my family!*THAT'S* what we should have done. The five MousePad Adrienne's could have pooled their resources....

AVP