PDA

View Full Version : Jan/Feb '05 visit to DLR

seattlemouse
10-21-2004, 02:05 PM
We're going to DLR this coming winter. Last May we stayed at GC and loved it!! We got APs last May for the discounted hotel rates, so we want to use our APs one more time before they expire. This is probably my 20th time to DLR, 2nd time at GC. I need opinions:

What weekend in 2005 would be better:

January 22-23, Jan 29-30, or February 5-6. Feb 5 is DH birthday and Feb 6 is super bowl. We're not big football fans.

Because we have a 2-year-old and like to take our time, we want to stay 4 days. Should we stay Thursday-Monday or Friday-Tuesday or Saturday-Wednesday. I'm thinking we should stay Thursday-Monday because the parks are open a little later on Friday and Saturday night and we have the opportunity to see Fantasmic twice. What do you think?

I looked into concierge level at GC but it's about $300 per night over AP rates! Choke. I don't mind spending a few more dollars for disney hotels, but hello! The CM said Disney is trying to make concierge more "exclusive." Well, excuse me.... I didn't ask about concierge at DL Hotel, my DH just wants GC, but what do you think? Is concierge at DL hotel really expensive also? Is it worth it.

We don't mind rain (we live in Seattle) or cold weather so we're not put off by rainy days.

Any input would be welcome, thanks!!

10-22-2004, 05:44 AM
Hmmm... I don't know. Who out there can help?

rentayenta
10-22-2004, 10:59 AM
I would go Feb. 5-6. You could celebrate DH's birthday. I hear that Superbowl Sunday is one of the slowest days of the year. I like the Thurs- Mon. idea. That way you get the weekend for later hours and 2 weekdays which should be slower. $300 a night seems steep. What does the GC concierge include?

Emma
10-22-2004, 11:12 AM
Ah ha...

A question I can answer! They call the concierge level at the Grand Californian the "Craftsman Club Class"

You get a deluxe (very nice room) with a DVD player, as well as complimentary rentals from their video library.

Access to their Lounge, which is a really nice sitting area with a patio that looks out onto the park. The lounge has complimentary coffee, juice, soft drinks, and bottled water all day long.

Complimentary continental breakfasy each morning (Pretty standard, breakfast breads, coffee, muffins, juice, cereal, fruit)

Complimentary wine and cheese in the evenings

Nightly turndown service

Storyteller for the kids

and a concierge to make your dining and tour reservations.

I think it's worth it! The Concierge level at the DL hotel is also very expensive.-- You're better off skipping Concierge at the DL Hotel, in my opinion, and just staying standard at the GC.

rentayenta
10-22-2004, 11:21 AM
Thanks Emma. When I mentioned the turn down service to DH as well as the other concierge services he told me that I could stand in the hall while he turns down my bed for free :rolleyes: When I asked about concierge service at the DLH it was an additional $150 a night. Holy mackeral, that's alot of cheese and wine ;)

seattlemouse
10-22-2004, 12:54 PM
I was thinking the same thing about concierge service. I mean, for $300 we could buy about 5 bottles of wine, go out to nice breakfast, get lots of bottles of water and we can always watch movies at home.

Thanks for all the advice, I think we'll go over superbowl weekend.

Emma
10-22-2004, 01:22 PM
Well, the $300.00 is for the room too, right? I think it's usually about 100-150 bucks extra per night for Concierge.

You're right. When I think about it that way, it really isn't worth it, is it?

My2kidsrule
10-22-2004, 01:26 PM
We did DLH concierge last year, and it was nice. We enjoyed every bit of it. We're staying at GCH in two weeks, and I opted against it after talking with some people who've been and two CMs on the phone and the AAA people. They all said that GCH is really stinkin' nice with or without the concierge. The biggest thing you get is wine and cheese and free cokes. So assess if that is worth it the extra money. We decided to take the extra money and we'll use some of it for a nice dinner when we're there.

My two cents.

prudence
10-22-2004, 02:17 PM
When I stayed at the Grand Californian last December, every room got turndown service, concierge or no.

kohl
10-22-2004, 02:41 PM
We have stayed at the GCH a few times and they always do the turn down service no matter which room you stay in. We will be at the GCH Nov. 28- Dec. 3. Only 37 more days!!!!!!!! But who is counting