PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Haunted Mansion 1000th Ghost Experience Interview with Jason Surrell

Lani
10-21-2004, 08:21 AM
Disneyland Haunted Mansion 1000th Ghost Experience Interview with Imagineer Jason Surrell

Thursday, October 21, 2004
by Frank Anzalone

With just 7 hours and 40 minutes to go, I had the opportunity to ask Jason Surrell, Disney Imagineer and Haunted Mansion expert, a few questions about the once-in-a-lifetime Disneyland Haunted Mansion 1000th Ghost Experience auction. Jason has been an Imagineer for 6 years (currently based in Florida) and previously with Disney Entertainment working on set and show writing and designs. (more than 11 years with the company)

What was the concept and reason for the auction? It was held as a fundraising event instead of for profit. Why?

The Disney Company found a "good fit" for a great charity – combined a win-win situation and made good on a concept of Walt's from 41 years ago. In 1963, 6 years before the Haunted Mansion opened, Marty Sklar wrote an "invitation" (on Walt's request) and placed this invitation in front of the Haunted Mansion building facade. The plaque solicited for this "permanent retirement home" asking park guests to "stop by ghost relations and apply for residency…"

Why did you choose to use the Haunted Mansion for this event?

The Haunted Mansion has been a highlight attraction for the parks for decades – adults and children alike come to be exposed to what might be their first experience with ghosts stories and horror film entertainment. Because of Walt's "invitation" and the attraction comment, "… there's always room for one more…", it was a natural fit for Disney to tied this auction and this attraction together.

[i]Why Disneyland, instead of one of the other three parks (since all four Disney Magic Kingdom theme parks have their own versions of the attraction)?

Disney wanted to create excitement for the park and for the 4th anniversary of the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay…. To help build momentum for the attraction itself and also add to the ever growing momentum of the celebration of Disneyland's 50th.

How much do they think the auction will close for?

Disney originally thought this might generate somewhere between $5,000 to $7,000. Currently, with just over 7 hours to go, the highest bid is $37,400… As in many auctions, there will be a little bit of a bidding frenzy in the last minutes of this auction. This auction even exceeded Disney's expectations.

Projection to continue this kind of auction for credits/tributes?

As with anything Disney does, if it is successful, they will explore the option of doing it again.

[Jason was not able to comment on the exact company policy/projection… but feels a future 'guest tribute' (tied in with a charity benefit) is always a possibility.]

Walt liked the windows on Main Street honoring. Imagineers have hints and credits throughout the park. How do you feel as an Imagineer about allowing Disney to sell credits to the general public, to guests with a big pocket book?

[Jason felt] it's not taking away from the 'honors' of the Disney Imagineers and other Disney legends. When I was young, I was drawn to the Haunted Mansion and had thought he would like to be part of the tombstone/graveyard someday… and now this really is a way for that to happen for a park guest.

Why is the haunted mansion your favorite attraction?

Since I was very young, I was drawn to dark material, ghost stories and horror films. I enjoyed the haunted Mansion because in a way, I got to be a part of this world… and my fascination of the attraction just kept growing from there.

After all these years… what keeps the Mansion effects and popularity so high?

This is the first exposure to ghost stories for many guests, and one of the flagship attractions for Disney. Walt did a great job with the design and story… it is timeless.

"Walt Disney: one man's dream"… how did you decide what to include and tell the story?

I was the show writer for this attraction. I wanted to bring the man [Walt] and the artifacts to the public to see and experience. There are plans to set up a similar gallery like this WDW attraction in Disneyland before the 50th.

What question has not been asked today by me or any other interviewer that you think should have been asked?? (and answer it please)

"What would Walt think?"

I feel Walt would have approved of this honorary 1000th ghost. It is making good on his "invitation/promise" from years ago… finding that "win-win-win" situation where the guest gets a very special honor/value… the company creates some excitement and interest… and the charities involved get a well-deserved addition to help their cause.

-----------------------------------------------------------

JASON SURRELL

SHOW WRITER, WALT DISNEY IMAGINEERING

Jason Surrell is an author, screenwriter, and Show Writer for Walt Disney Imagineering, where he develops concepts, scripts, and storylines for new attractions, shops, restaurants, and resorts on land and sea. Some of his Imagineering credits include a "haunted" tombstone at the Haunted Mansion and show concepts for The Great Movie Ride, Who Wants to Be a Millionaire – Play It!, Walt Disney: One Man's Dream, The Making of the Haunted Mansion Movie, The Magic of Disney Animation, a Pearl Harbor-themed special effects show, Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa, and a variety of shops, restaurants, and nightclubs. He is currently working on new show concepts for the Disney-MGM Studios, Typhoon Lagoon, Disney Cruise Line, and Disney Vacation Club.

He is also a Show Director for Walt Disney Entertainment and Walt Disney Company Latin America, where he creates live shows, parades, and events for both domestic and international audiences.

Jason is the author of The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies, The Art of the Haunted Mansion, Screenplay by Disney: Tips and Techniques to Add Magic to Your Moviemaking and contributed an essay to The Imagineering Way.

As an authority on the Haunted Mansion, Jason is being featured at this year's "999 Happy Haunts" event at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida, October 25-27, 2004. The multi-day fan gathering celebrates all the ghoulish fun and ghostly delights of the famous Haunted Mansion attraction.

Jason's first film, Characters, a coming-of-age comedy about the twentysomethings who work as costumed characters at America's most beloved theme park, premiered at the 2001 New York International Independent Film and Video Festival. Orlando Sentinel film critic Roger Moore called the film "better than Clerks." He also wrote for Walt Disney Television's internationally syndicated television series "Secrets of the Animal Kingdom."

Jason is currently working on his next two books, Pirates of the Caribbean: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies and Pirates of the Caribbean: Making the Movie Trilogy.

He is also developing two novels. The first is The Spirit Club, the story of SPIRIT (Society for Psychic Investigation, Research, Intelligence and Technology), an organization of young people charged with battling supernatural forces throughout the world. The second is a sequel to an American classic: Ichabod Crane, or The Legend of the Jersey Devil: Several years after his mysterious disappearance from Sleepy Hollow, schoolmaster Ichabod Crane resurfaces in another quiet village in rural New Jersey.

Jason is also developing two live action film scripts with Chuck Williams, producer of Disney's Oscar-nominated animated feature, Brother Bear. The first is The Covenant, a supernatural thriller. The second is Hollywood Boot Camp, aka Stars and Stripes, a comedy.

# # #

----------------------------------------------------------

Announcement and details about the auction are available in our Announcements forum here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=33072).

Lani
10-21-2004, 01:41 PM
OK, so there's around 20 minutes left, and it's currently at $37,400. Wonder when the frenzy will start?

Disneyland
10-21-2004, 01:48 PM
Yeah, 13 mins left and still no frenzy...

Bryan

Lani
10-21-2004, 02:02 PM
I'm shocked! No bidding war at the last moments! I wonder if the price just went up too high for that?

Disneyland
10-21-2004, 02:06 PM
Yes, I was waiting to see a last second bid come in. Nothing.

Can't wait to see what the tombstone reads.

Bryan

Andrew
10-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Here lies poor, confused Dwight.
His last words: "This is a joke, right?"

Disneyland
10-21-2004, 03:15 PM
^^^ hehe, thats a good one.

Bryan

Andrew
10-22-2004, 09:09 AM
Buried here is poor old Gil;
couldn't pay his eBay bill.

I Heart Disneyland!
10-22-2004, 09:12 AM

HILARIOUS!!!! HAHAHAH! :D

SallySkellington
10-22-2004, 10:27 AM
ROFLMAO! Andrew should be the one to write on the tombstone!

soccerlady16
10-22-2004, 10:47 AM
LOL :D HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!