PDA

View Full Version : Star Spangled Banner at DLR

Pages : [1] 2

itig
10-20-2004, 04:27 PM
I had a really cool experience on my last trip to DLR. It was about 4:30 and I was headed out of the park to meet up with my wife and kids. As I approached the front entrance, I heard the Star Spangled Banner playing. When I got close enough to see, there was a color guard lowering the flag. I thought it was really cool because there were a ton of people who had stopped, removed their hats and some had their hands over their hearts. I never knew they did this at the park and really thought it was great.

Is this something they do everyday? Is it at a specific time or as nightfall approaches?

We're going back in December and I would love my entire family to experience it. We're a patriotic lot and love this type of thing...

AVP
10-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Is this something they do everyday? Is it at a specific time or as nightfall approaches? The flag retreat is done every single night - after September 11th, guests filled the area, and cast members were allowed to attend in costume if they wished.

Now it's just another daily event that most people completely miss, but make for magical memories for those who are in the right place at the right time.

You can ask any cast member to tell you exactly when they do this - I *think* it's 4:25, but someone with a more current reference guide can correct me.

AVP

itig
10-20-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks much! Now that you mention it, I think it was at 4:25. I remember looking at my watch and thinking it was an odd time. I assumed it would be on the hour or half-hour. Thanks again and I'll check with a CM to confirm.

Earkid
10-20-2004, 07:02 PM
We experienced that when we went in September. It was great. We were just coming out of the locker areaon Main Street and most people stopped where they were and put hand over heart and faced the flag. Extremely moving.

There was a Swedish family near us at the time. I knew they were from Sweden because they were in front of me in a checkout line earlier in the day and the CM had asked them. They spoke both English and Swedish. Apparently their little boy was asking the dad why we were all looking at the flag and the dad replied in English "They are showing love for their country and respecting their flag". I think he then repeated the same thing in Swedish to his boy because the boy smiled and turned toward the flag and, copying everyone around him, put his hand over his heart.

Tutter
10-20-2004, 08:26 PM
I would love to see this. It is totally unique to America to do such a thing and is something we think of as American. I hope I remember about it next time I in Disneyland as I would love to go along.

TP2000
10-20-2004, 08:28 PM
Disneyland has been doing this every day, seven days a week, 365 days a year, for decades now.

It's not something they have to do, but they do it anyway day in and day out.

I highly doubt Six Flags Magic Mountain, Universal Studios or Sea World have any sort of daily flag retreat ceremony with the National Anthem at dusk. It's just one of those things Disneyland does simply because it's Disneyland.

uvsc_wolverine
10-20-2004, 09:14 PM
The same thing happens at Brigham Young University (BYU) in Provo, UT. They have a flag lowering ceremony every day, and they blare the Star Spangled Banner over some of the largest loudspeakers you've ever seen! It's kinda cool because everything just stops. Everybody stops where they are and turns towards the flag.

ExPeRiMeNt629
10-20-2004, 11:05 PM
I find the Flag Ceremony the best show in the park that i try not to miss when i'm their around 4'oclock. I rather watch that then the parade, it happens around 4:45 Daily. And during peak season the Disneyland Band plays the National Anthem.

Disneyfreak
10-20-2004, 11:15 PM
I was so happy to see my grandfather with a lit up face when he saw this. He was amazed at the fact that a theme park would do it. I loved seeing how the elderly really were moved by it. It was my favorite part of the day.

cstephens
10-21-2004, 09:41 AM
I highly doubt Six Flags Magic Mountain, Universal Studios or Sea World have any sort of daily flag retreat ceremony with the National Anthem at dusk. It's just one of those things Disneyland does simply because it's Disneyland.

Sea World's day starts with playing the National Anthem, and then the park is officially opened to guests.

As for flag retreat at Disneyland, the time changes depending on the time of year. I usually wander into City Hall to ask for the specific time when I want to see it.

mystycalchyk
10-21-2004, 09:57 AM
We experienced that when we went in September. It was great. We were just coming out of the locker areaon Main Street and most people stopped where they were and put hand over heart and faced the flag. Extremely moving.

There was a Swedish family near us at the time. I knew they were from Sweden because they were in front of me in a checkout line earlier in the day and the CM had asked them. They spoke both English and Swedish. Apparently their little boy was asking the dad why we were all looking at the flag and the dad replied in English "They are showing love for their country and respecting their flag". I think he then repeated the same thing in Swedish to his boy because the boy smiled and turned toward the flag and, copying everyone around him, put his hand over his heart.

what a great story

We too love seeing the flag ceremony, and try to catch it when we are there at least once :)

Lani
10-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Apparently their little boy was asking the dad why we were all looking at the flag and the dad replied in English "They are showing love for their country and respecting their flag". I think he then repeated the same thing in Swedish to his boy because the boy smiled and turned toward the flag and, copying everyone around him, put his hand over his heart.Awwwwwww ::sniff sniff:: that is sooooo sweet!!! That makes me all verklempt.

Now if we can only convince some folks in this country that it's OK to be do the same! :)

DaddyB
10-25-2004, 11:49 PM
I am especially happy when I see people stopped to watch the ceremony who know at least a semblance of the correct protocol (hat off, hand over heart, etc) and make an attempt to show their patriotism...

SoCalDude
10-26-2004, 01:04 AM
We caught this by chance one day and it really does move you. It was really the last thing I expected to see that day - and I am very glad we saw it.

got2travel
10-26-2004, 09:51 AM
We caught it this past Friday. I had always known about it, but we are usually outside the park for an afternoon break around this time. I'm glad I was there, and will try to catch the retiring of the flag at least once each trip.

hefferdude
10-26-2004, 11:30 AM
I really enjoy the flag lowering as well.

Just as an FYI and apologies for nitpcking.

A US Flag is only "retired" when it is destroyed in
a "retirement" ceremony which is a very solemn occasion.
( usually destorying it in a fire after a final Pledge of Allegience ).

got2travel
10-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Sorry for using the wrong term, really meant no disrespect. So what is it officially called?

Javanod
10-27-2004, 11:02 AM
We caught this by chance one day and it really does move you. It was really the last thing I expected to see that day - and I am very glad we saw it.

My sentiments exactly - I stumbled across this Tuesday when I was popping in to the park before my flight home from a conference.

I accidentally got to do something at Disneyland I hadn't done before :D

sdfilmcritic
11-01-2004, 11:43 AM
I experienced this ceremony for the first and second time on my vacation.

Stupid_American
12-11-2004, 08:40 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/stupid_american/flag.jpg
For 30 days after Ronald Reagan's death, they flew the flag at half-staff.

It's sad to see so many wandering past when the ceremony is on.
It is something rarely seen anymore; a great lesson.

disneyguy247
12-11-2004, 09:11 PM
The flag retreat is now listed on the Dland calendart daily @ 4:40.

awinner
12-11-2004, 10:33 PM
here is Ernie folding the flag (http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d924b3127cce9b53741b3a8800000036108Abt2TJw1YtT )

and the color guards (http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4d924b3127cce9b5374073a9400000036138Abt2TJw1YtT )

I Heart Disneyland!
12-11-2004, 11:15 PM
Now if we can only convince some folks in this country that it's OK to be do the same! :)

Good point Lani! It's touching that people of other nations are more happy to salute our American flag than some Americans.

What a cool thing to see next time I visit DL! :)

DaddyB
12-11-2004, 11:24 PM
It just shocks me still the people who don't know, or just don't care about the protocol of the flag. What did their parents and teachers teach them? It certainly didn't stick.

How much would it hurt your schedule for the day to stop and watch the flag lowering and show some respect? It's not like you don't notice the music playing and the people all turned towards the flagpole.

I have to literally tell myself over and over NOT to go around snatching the stupid baseball caps off of people during the ceremony. Bad enough people don't take their hats off inside anymore, but it's downright disrespectful to not remove your hat when the flag is lowered in ceremony.

sigh. Sorry if I offended anyone. I feel better now.

"some people's kids".

Drince88
12-12-2004, 05:01 AM
DaddyB - you hit one of my pet peeves, too. But I have a question that I can't ever seem to find in the etiquette books. Women aren't required to remove their headwear, and if I'm wearing a hat with an overall brim I don't - but what about baseball caps? I generally will remove it, although I don't think I'm "required" to. Any thoughts on that? Or is the whole "women don't have to" gone the way of the hat pin?

Last year my sister and I were at WDW in Epcot at the end of an all-day tour, and decided to go over to the Magic Kingdom JUST to watch the flag retreat.