PDA

View Full Version : Wheelchair Rental Drop-Offs?

AlxVision360
10-20-2004, 11:22 AM
Next trip will be the first time we park hop. I know where the wheelchair rental booths are located in both DL and DCA. I've heard you can now rent a wheelchair at one park and use it at both parks and DTD. I'd like to know though if I rent the chair at DL is it possible to return the chair to the booth at DCA and vice-versa? Is there anywhere in DTD to return the chair to and get my deposit back?

Does Paradise Pier Hotel rent wheelchairs to guests staying there? That would actually be the most convenient for us.

mad4mky
10-20-2004, 12:23 PM
I know you cannot take your chair to DTD...unless you give them an extra deposit (which is quite larger than the $20 required for just the parks)...and a major credit card or DL to hold.

And, from what I was told, you CAN turn in the wheelchair at either park (I was just at DL on October 9-11).

When you get onto the Monorail...I was asked if I had the card to show that I put the extra deposit down...to leave the Monorail and to go DTD. We explained that we wanted to just go around and get back off in Tomorrowland, so it was no big deal.

But, they don't 'advertise' that you can take the wheelchairs out of the park. But, if you ask, they are more than happy to explain how you can do it.

Sorry, but I don't know anything about the hotels, and how their wheelchairs work. I do know that the Grand Californian does have one...because a year ago I saw someone with one. For that information, you might want to call the hotel you are staying in. :)

JeffG
10-20-2004, 09:23 PM
Does Paradise Pier Hotel rent wheelchairs to guests staying there? That would actually be the most convenient for us.

The hotels each have a limited number of wheelchairs available for use by guests staying at the hotel. They are available on a first-come, first-served basis and you can keep it for length of stay. They do not charge a rental fee for them, although I think they do require a security deposit.

-Jeff

AlxVision360
12-28-2004, 09:10 AM
We arrived at the PPH at about 9 in the morning on the 22d. Even at that "early" hour they had no more wheelchairs, so when Jeff said limited they are indeed very limited in number! We had no problem renting one at DL though, they had scores of them lined up outside the rental booth just inside the maingate.

We also had no difficulties park hopping with the wheelchair. The only hard part was trying to navigate down Main Street through the fireworks crowds at the end of our day to return the chair. Looking back I'm wondering if it could have been possible to return it to the stroller rental booth in Tomorrowland instead. We took the monorail back to the hotel so that would have been the most convenient thing to do.

JeffG
12-28-2004, 07:33 PM
We arrived at the PPH at about 9 in the morning on the 22d. Even at that "early" hour they had no more wheelchairs, so when Jeff said limited they are indeed very limited in number!

Your chances actually probably would have been better later in the day. Keep in mind that check-out time is 11am. They also likely would allow those using the loaner wheelchairs to return them even later in the day, if they were going back to the parks for a while after checking out. I would think your best chance at getting a loander wheelchair from the hotels would probably be early-to-mid afternoon.

-Jeff

Darkbeer
12-28-2004, 08:24 PM
Many folks rent a wheelchair (and electric scooters) from an outside source...

The one I have seen mentioned the most is Alan's Wheelchairs.

http://www.alanswheelchairs.com/

They deliver to the hotel, and are quite a bit lower in price than the in-park version.

Wizard69
01-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Looking back I'm wondering if it could have been possible to return it to the stroller rental booth in Tomorrowland instead. We took the monorail back to the hotel so that would have been the most convenient thing to do.

No. You have to return it to the stroller shop in the front of the park.

For future reference, if you are staying at one of the DLR hotels or want to shop at Downtown Disney, you can get a "Vehicle Loan Agreement" at the stroller shop. This allows you to take the wheelchair out of the security gates and into Downtown Disney and to the DLR hotels. If you do not return the wheelchair, you get charged $250. All you need is a credit card and drivers license.